The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Major

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by Ulysses » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:30 am

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:50 am
So I have a Florida geezer state park pass - $10 lifetime, free to enter parks, half price on camping.
I've got a Washington state Discovery pass, $30/year
I've got a Canadian parks Discovery pass, $57/year
I bought the National Park geezer pass before it went up to $80 -$10 lifetime.

So, Ulysses, why is a California pass $195/year? :shock:
BTW, since you're here in the off-season, a limited use Golden Bear pass might have been better for you...

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/737/files ... .28.19.pdf

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:08 am

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:30 am

BTW, since you're here in the off-season, a limited use Golden Bear pass might have been better for you...

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/737/files ... .28.19.pdf
Yeah, but those are calendar-year based. I can get one in January. I didn't buy the "California Explorer" pass yet and may not. When we went to Pfeiffer the geezer fee was $9. I don't know that with everything else around we'll go 20 trips to state parks that charge fees.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Great hike yesterday - we hiked the Lost Grove area in Sequoia park. It's not really lost, of course, but the trail through it has been deactivated so there's no trailhead marker or other trail markings. It's not closed, but is no longer shown on most maps. If you know it's there, you can take it, but the NPS doesn't make it well publicized, apparently to cut down on the traffic around the bases of the big trees. Interestingly, for such huge trees, sequoias are remarkably fragile about root damage, which is why the famous ones are fenced off.

Anyway, for a strenuous (steep hills, downed log climbing) two hours, we didn't see another person in a grove of dozens of sequoias. Particularly pretty when sunlight came through the forest and highlighted the distinctive cinnamon-colored bark. This park is bumper to bumper in July. We've pretty much had it to ourselves wherever we've gone. Major luck with the weather - it could have been snowing by now in the mountains.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 pm

It was a fine day in the mountains today! We hiked on the High Sierra trail, starting at Sequoia Park. It was an addition to our list of hiking parts of the "long trails" when we find them. We've done 8 states on the Appalachian Trail, 2 states of the Pacific Crest Trail, plus other regional trails like Mountains to Sea, Foothills, Vermont's Long Trail, Katy Trail, Olympic Discovery Trail, etc. Obviously we only clicked a few miles off the High Sierra trail's 72 miles, with a stated 10,000+ elevation rise. But what views - far and of some big trees. And for the first time, I drew my bear spray. Didn't have to use it, fortunately, but it was closer to getting used than I'd like. Damn bear sat beside the trail and was not impressed by our waving and shouting. We backed away back the way we came and he eventually wandered off into the woods. Keeping the bear spray at hand, we continued on, but never saw him again. Saw some mule deer, lots of hawks, marmots, and basically no other humans. And we got to do that on probably the last warm day for a while. Snow is likely at the high altitudes tomorrow. Thursday, we'll be headed off for the desert.

GoCubsGo
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 pm

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 pm
It was a fine day in the mountains today! We hiked on the High Sierra trail, starting at Sequoia Park. It was an addition to our list of hiking parts of the "long trails" when we find them. We've done 8 states on the Appalachian Trail, 2 states of the Pacific Crest Trail, plus other regional trails like Mountains to Sea, Foothills, Vermont's Long Trail, Katy Trail, Olympic Discovery Trail, etc. Obviously we only clicked a few miles off the High Sierra trail's 72 miles, with a stated 10,000+ elevation rise. But what views - far and of some big trees. And for the first time, I drew my bear spray. Didn't have to use it, fortunately, but it was closer to getting used than I'd like. Damn bear sat beside the trail and was not impressed by our waving and shouting. We backed away back the way we came and he eventually wandered off into the woods. Keeping the bear spray at hand, we continued on, but never saw him again. Saw some mule deer, lots of hawks, marmots, and basically no other humans. And we got to do that on probably the last warm day for a while. Snow is likely at the high altitudes tomorrow. Thursday, we'll be headed off for the desert.
Whoa, what kind of bear?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202 020303

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:59 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 pm
Whoa, what kind of bear?
[/quote]

:lol: Not a Chicago Bear.
But not a grizzly, either. Just generic black bear like the NC bears. He wasn't really aggressive, just didn't feel like moving and we would have had to walk within a couple of feet or so of him if we'd tried to go around. Nope. He looked pretty porked up for the winter, so maybe he was just lethargic and thought there shouldn't be any human tourists on "his" trail this time of year. I'm just glad it wasn't a mama with cubs.

GoCubsGo
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 pm

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:59 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 pm
Whoa, what kind of bear?
:lol: Not a Chicago Bear.
But not a grizzly, either. Just generic black bear like the NC bears. He wasn't really aggressive, just didn't feel like moving and we would have had to walk within a couple of feet or so of him if we'd tried to go around. Nope. He looked pretty porked up for the winter, so maybe he was just lethargic and thought there shouldn't be any human tourists on "his" trail this time of year. I'm just glad it wasn't a mama with cubs.
[/quote]

Whew, good. Black bear I wouldn't sweat it too much, you're probably right and he was in a food coma. Grizzly.....sweat 😓 a little.

I don't think anyone fears a Chicago Bear 😞

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 pm
Whew, good. Black bear I wouldn't sweat it too much, you're probably right and he was in a food coma. Grizzly.....sweat 😓 a little.

There are no grizzlies in CA, except on the state flags. So, black bear it is, and kind of an asshole bear.

Chicago, Cal and now Baylor - it's a bad year for bears.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

GoCubsGo
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:34 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 pm

There are no grizzlies in CA, except on the state flags. So, black bear it is, and kind of an asshole bear.

Chicago, Cal and now Baylor - it's a bad year for bears.
Thought there were brown (grizzly) bears in the Sierras?

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Been gone since 1920-something, and attempts to reintroduce have been rejected.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:25 pm

No real hike today, mostly because of howling wind. But we toured Joshua Tree National Park and had some good leg stretching walks around the rocks. Before getting here, my ignorance of the park was exceptional. I thought the park was the only place the Joshua Tree grew, and that it was relatively rare. Nope. It's true it grows only in the Mojave Desert, but not just in the park. I had envisioned these pretty long trees standing out like the pics of those single trees in the savannahs of Africa. But they're everywhere in the northern part. Part of what contributed to my ignorance was the uproar back the last time Trump shut down the government about some guys cutting one down while the rangers were laid off. Not to condone damaging natural resources, but unless the one they cut was some well-known tree in a conspicuous place, I don't know how they would have ever known one was missing or damaged.

Nevermind - I found another version of the shut-down situation, and it was much worse than just chopping a tree...

"While park rangers were furloughed and visitors streamed into the park unsupervised, vandals and motorists transformed the landscape. Car traffic created roads on previously natural terrain. Graffiti covered many surfaces. Campers cut through chains and pitched their tents in off-limits areas. Visitors even damaged and defaced the Joshua trees themselves. In some cases, they cut down the trees to make space for cars to pass."

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:11 pm

Today we hiked in the Coachella Valley Preserve, which is on top of the San Andreas Fault, and has a couple of real desert oases with water coming up from a deep crack in the ground. Packed along a snack of dates right off the tree that we got from a date farm on the way to the preserve. And from the hilltop, we could look around at the valley and the bigger mountains that still had a topping of snow from a couple of days ago. Great hike - we're going back tomorrow.

https://coachellavalleypreserve.org/info/