Beer Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Beer Thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:12 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 am
Never had a Zima, but I did date a Huntsville girl. Her dad was a rocket designer there after the war. Before the war he worked for the nazis.
Yeah, guess it just goes to show that none of us are more than six degrees removed from association or at least exposure to Nazis. And the US did bring dozens of them over here after the war to work on rocket design. Plus we now have a wannabe Nazi for a president.
Or lots less than six degrees.
My father's parents were German, with grandpa being Jewish. He was some sort of trade rep for Germany, my dad was born here, and they never moved back. We lost family in the camps.
My father was stationed with the Army in Germany after the war.
I will now associate Zima with the Nazis, which is apt for a rightwing ADOLPH Coors product.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:32 pm
Her name was Heidi. She, her 6 siblings and both parents were all very blond and very white with sky blue eyes. He told me that he was forced to work for the nazis and was glad when the Americans brought him here.

That was the story and I accepted it wholeheartedly every time I looked at his daughter.
Was he one of the famous Nazi rocket scientists, someone I could look up?

My parents double-dated with Golda Meir's son.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:35 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:12 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 am
Never had a Zima, but I did date a Huntsville girl. Her dad was a rocket designer there after the war. Before the war he worked for the nazis.
Yeah, guess it just goes to show that none of us are more than six degrees removed from association or at least exposure to Nazis. And the US did bring dozens of them over here after the war to work on rocket design. Plus we now have a wannabe Nazi for a president.
Or lots less than six degrees.
My father's parents were German, with grandpa being Jewish. He was some sort of trade rep for Germany, my dad was born here, and they never moved back. We lost family in the camps.
My father was stationed with the Army in Germany after the war.
I will now associate Zima with the Nazis, which is apt for a rightwing ADOLPH Coors product.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:32 pm
Her name was Heidi. She, her 6 siblings and both parents were all very blond and very white with sky blue eyes. He told me that he was forced to work for the nazis and was glad when the Americans brought him here.

That was the story and I accepted it wholeheartedly every time I looked at his daughter.
Was he one of the famous Nazi rocket scientists, someone I could look up?

My parents double-dated with Golda Meir's son.
I don't know how famous. Last name was Allen, but I don't know if that was an americanization, a change or real. She never wanted to talk about her family's german past.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:58 pm

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:35 pm
I don't know how famous. Last name was Allen, but I don't know if that was an americanization, a change or real. She never wanted to talk about her family's german past.
I searched:
Nazi rocket scientist allen
Huntsville rocket scientist allen
U.S. Space & Rocket Center allen

Nada, oh well.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

Ulysses
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Ulysses » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 am

Well, I never thought of it as being ZZima, but it does seem to be the Master Beer for some.

Seriously, I've met a number of people from Germany. I worked in a well known biological research lab in the late 70's. The lab Director was something of a total asshole (personal friend of Chang Kai Shek). His executive assistant was a notoriouosly nasty American woman who was universally loathed by the staff. She had this 1940's style console for paging people, but the word was she would sit there with her finger on the button and eavesdrop on lab conversations at will. She was also very nasty and none of the questions she would ask were not leading. We had a visiting post-doc from Germany. He was very amiable and seemed like a good chap. My biggest blunder with him, was, well... he'd just come back from an interaction with the executive assistant and remarked, laughingly, that he should take her back to Germany. I replied, "Oh, no, she'd start another war!". I smiled when I said it, but his face fell and he looked crestfallen. I instantly felt bad. We didn't talk much after that. Perhaps because he was headed back to Germany. Not sure. But I would guess most Germans are rather sensitive about such talk (as in the hysterically funny episode of Fawlty Towers where John Cleese cannot stop himself from mentioning "The War" until his guests from Germany start begging him to stop mentioning "The War"...) ...

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:40 am

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 am
Well, I never thought of it as being ZZima, but it does seem to be the Master Beer for some.

Seriously, I've met a number of people from Germany. I worked in a well known biological research lab in the late 70's. The lab Director was something of a total asshole (personal friend of Chang Kai Shek). His executive assistant was a notoriouosly nasty American woman who was universally loathed by the staff. She had this 1940's style console for paging people, but the word was she would sit there with her finger on the button and eavesdrop on lab conversations at will. She was also very nasty and none of the questions she would ask were not leading. We had a visiting post-doc from Germany. He was very amiable and seemed like a good chap. My biggest blunder with him, was, well... he'd just come back from an interaction with the executive assistant and remarked, laughingly, that he should take her back to Germany. I replied, "Oh, no, she'd start another war!". I smiled when I said it, but his face fell and he looked crestfallen. I instantly felt bad. We didn't talk much after that. Perhaps because he was headed back to Germany. Not sure. But I would guess most Germans are rather sensitive about such talk (as in the hysterically funny episode of Fawlty Towers where John Cleese cannot stop himself from mentioning "The War" until his guests from Germany start begging him to stop mentioning "The War"...) ...
I will guess these events were at Ft Detrick; anyway, I say Americans will have the same reaction the German doctor had when one mentions "the war" to him as we will have 30 years from now when someone mentions trump.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:40 am

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:40 am
Ulysses wrote:
... But I would guess most Germans are rather sensitive about such talk (as in the hysterically funny episode of Fawlty Towers where John Cleese cannot stop himself from mentioning "The War" until his guests from Germany start begging him to stop mentioning "The War"...) ...
I will guess these events were at Ft Detrick; anyway, I say Americans will have the same reaction the German doctor had when one mentions "the war" to him as we will have 30 years from now when someone mentions trump.
Grandpa, what did you do to stop Trump?

I have some relatives, Christian side of the family, a married couple in Hamburg. They are near my age, so it would have been their grandparents that did whatever during WW2 - I didn't ask and they never volunteered. At my suggestion we visited Hamburg's Neuengamme concentration camp. They had never been. Did they even know about it? I can't remember, this was nearly 30 years ago. We were all moved, of course, and they seemed mostly at ease with talking about how fucked up Nazi Germany was back then.

Berliner Weisse mit Schuss is a yummy summer beer. Blackberry juice is how I was turned on to it, but there are apparently lots of options.
Mit Schuss: Fruit and Herbal Flavors are the Unsung Heroes of Berliner-Weisse Style Ales
No Nazi or Stasi implications that I'm aware of.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:48 am

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:40 am

I don't have bumper stickers, but I would love to see this one.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

Ulysses
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Ulysses » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:27 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

LOL, well, yes, Trump needs to be stopped, but I think "I voted for his opponent" should be good enough. Hopefully enough people will be able to say that so he won't win re-election next year.

This thread triggered another memory: about 1978, on the shores of Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. Talking to a couple of young German women tourists. Somehow the conversation turned to the German language. I revealed that I had never learned it. They asked me to repeat one of the more gutteral words in the language. When I had successfully contorted the back of my throat to repeat it, one of them said approvingly, "You can speak German!". LOL. Some day I'll have to take a German class.

Ulysses
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Ulysses » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 pm

Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
... But I would guess most Germans are rather sensitive about such talk (as in the hysterically funny episode of Fawlty Towers where John Cleese cannot stop himself from mentioning "The War" until his guests from Germany start begging him to stop mentioning "The War"...) ...

I have some relatives, Christian side of the family, a married couple in Hamburg. They are near my age, so it would have been their grandparents that did whatever during WW2 - I didn't ask and they never volunteered. At my suggestion we visited Hamburg's Neuengamme concentration camp. They had never been. Did they even know about it? I can't remember, this was nearly 30 years ago. We were all moved, of course, and they seemed mostly at ease with talking about how fucked up Nazi Germany was back then.

Berliner Weisse mit Schuss is a yummy summer beer. Blackberry juice is how I was turned on to it, but there are apparently lots of options.
Mit Schuss: Fruit and Herbal Flavors are the Unsung Heroes of Berliner-Weisse Style Ales
When I was drinking real beer, I would get mini-kegs, such as Heinken or Hofbrau München (HB Oktoberfestbier). Both good and better than from cans or bottles. Heinken in particular. For some reason, their bottles always seem to me to have a metallic taste, but the mini-kegs are OK. Just picked up another mini-keg of HB. Too much carb, but you only live once.

I will have to see if anyone has minikegs of a decent light beer.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:36 pm

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 pm
... decent light beer.
Oxymoron.

Whack9
Major

Unread post by Whack9 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:39 pm

Ulysses wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

When I was drinking real beer, I would get mini-kegs, such as Heinken or Hofbrau München (HB Oktoberfestbier). Both good and better than from cans or bottles. Heinken in particular. For some reason, their bottles always seem to me to have a metallic taste, but the mini-kegs are OK. Just picked up another mini-keg of HB. Too much carb, but you only live once.

I always thought PBRs has a metallic taste to them.

Ulysses
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Ulysses » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:54 pm

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:39 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

After a number of years of avoiding bottled Heineken, I finally figured out that if I took a napkin or paper towel and wiped off the neck after un-capping it, the metallic taste would be reduced or absent. So there's something about those Dutch bottling plants. I guess. Or the caps. Or something. Still, the mini-kegs are the best.

Don't recall what PBR tastes like. Only seen it in cans. I did have some friends back in the 90's who formed a motorcycle racing team called "Pot Bellied Racing". Or, PBR. I think they spent most of their races tossing back PBR's.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:44 pm

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:39 pm

You may not have ever had a real PBR. What's wearing that brand now is just another MillerCoors generic brew.