The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 am
Did anyone get a text from Dump?
Hillary did.

Image

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 am
Did anyone get a text from Dump?
If you didn't get the Trump text, you're probably still using your Obama phone. :lol: :D

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:19 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 am
Did anyone get a text from Dump?
If you didn't get the Trump text, you're probably still using your Obama phone. :lol: :D
Nah, I'm still using my Reagan phone. But aren't they trump phones now?

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:53 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:19 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 am
Did anyone get a text from Dump?
If you didn't get the Trump text, you're probably still using your Obama phone. :lol: :D
Nah, I'm still using my Reagan phone. But aren't they trump phones now?
You're on to something!

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:53 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:19 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 am
Did anyone get a text from Dump?
If you didn't get the Trump text, you're probably still using your Obama phone. :lol: :D
Nah, I'm still using my Reagan phone. But aren't they trump phones now?
You're on to something!

oh shit, I stumbled over a non-alternative fact.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

who is A?

__A___ supports deregulation, refuses to disavow David Duke and wants to build a wall. Campaigns to Make America Great and to put America First in all decisions. Says the media are against him and that the party nomination is rigged.


who is B?

___B____ goes on Meet the Press to oppose everything “A” stands for, calls him an anti-semite, says he hates blacks and gays and will only attract the whacko vote.
While leaving the Museum of Tolerance in California he wishes that “A” could see this and denounce hate and David Duke.

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 pm
who is A?
who is B?
A is easy. Can't quite pick up on B though.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:41 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 pm
who is A?
who is B?
A is easy. Can't quite pick up on B though.
wrong

spell it out

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:42 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:41 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 pm
who is A?
who is B?
A is easy. Can't quite pick up on B though.
wrong

spell it out
:?: :?: I dunno.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:46 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:42 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:41 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 pm
who is A?
who is B?
A is easy. Can't quite pick up on B though.
wrong

spell it out
:?: :?: I dunno.

it's a trick question

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 pm
who is A?

__A___ supports deregulation, refuses to disavow David Duke and wants to build a wall. Campaigns to Make America Great and to put America First in all decisions. Says the media are against him and that the party nomination is rigged.


who is B?

___B____ goes on Meet the Press to oppose everything “A” stands for, calls him an anti-semite, says he hates blacks and gays and will only attract the whacko vote.
While leaving the Museum of Tolerance in California he wishes that “A” could see this and denounce hate and David Duke.
No takers?

Helpful hint - the WABAC

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:25 am
No takers?

Helpful hint - the WABAC
I'm stumped, even after successfully googling your clue.


Mandatory presidential text alerts violate freedom of speech, according to a new lawsuit

Interesting, not that I really care at this point. The principle may be correct, but the courts may rule that the cause is frivolous.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:47 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:25 am
No takers?

Helpful hint - the WABAC
I'm stumped, even after successfully googling your clue.


Mandatory presidential text alerts violate freedom of speech, according to a new lawsuit

Interesting, not that I really care at this point. The principle may be correct, but the courts may rule that the cause is frivolous.

Sherman, set the Wayback machine to Meet the Press 1999 for the Donald's attack on Pat Buchanan


I'm listening @wuwfmedia to How The 1990s Paved The Way For Today's Political Divide from 1A on my WUWF app! https://goo.gl/ofNqWw


It's the Thursday 11 a.m. show. Not sure why I couldn't copy the link to the show

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:47 am
Mandatory presidential text alerts violate freedom of speech, according to a new lawsuit

Interesting, not that I really care at this point. The principle may be correct, but the courts may rule that the cause is frivolous.
Alcoa-Reynolds Aluminum's stock in the aluminum foil division has skyrocketed due to increased demand for it's foil products. :shock:

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:47 am
Mandatory presidential text alerts violate freedom of speech, according to a new lawsuit

Interesting, not that I really care at this point. The principle may be correct, but the courts may rule that the cause is frivolous.
Alcoa-Reynolds Aluminum's stock in the aluminum foil division has skyrocketed due to increased demand for it's foil products. :shock:
From the article


“The president could theoretically use [the alerts] for any other type of alert as decided by the president,” the lawsuit quotes John Lawson, the executive director of the Advanced Warning and Response Network, as saying. Lawson, who advised FEMA on its emergency alert system, noted that abuse of the messages is “possible.”


Could be that an otherwise frivolous lawsuit could stop a for sure frivolous president from using the system for his own frivolous reasons.

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:22 am

From the article
“The president could theoretically use [the alerts] for any other type of alert as decided by the president,” the lawsuit quotes John Lawson, the executive director of the Advanced Warning and Response Network, as saying. Lawson, who advised FEMA on its emergency alert system, noted that abuse of the messages is “possible.”

Could be that an otherwise frivolous lawsuit could stop a for sure frivolous president from using the system for his own frivolous reasons.
I think it would depend on the definition of 'frivolous' as opposed to an actual emergency. It would be no different than say, tornado or severe weather warnings, active shooter or other civil disorder warnings, etc. My mention of the foil above references that we've only received a test to see if the system works. It appears it was not a complete success, as I received it only on one of my three phones.

Use of the emergency alert system by the POTUS to campaign or besmirch someone would be classified as frivolous, I would think, and should lead to a lawsuit.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:22 am
From the article

“The president could theoretically use [the alerts] for any other type of alert as decided by the president,” the lawsuit quotes John Lawson, the executive director of the Advanced Warning and Response Network, as saying. Lawson, who advised FEMA on its emergency alert system, noted that abuse of the messages is “possible.”

Could be that an otherwise frivolous lawsuit could stop a for sure frivolous president from using the system for his own frivolous reasons.
Yeah, that's the question being presented - How likely is it to be used for political purposes, would that be a 1st Amendment violation, and can that be prevented once the door is opened for tests and "emergencies". I wouldn't bet on the plaintiffs, but who knows? The article also says:
While the alert system is ostensibly solely meant to issue notifications on “natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters or threats to public safety,” the lawsuit notes the guidelines are “unconstitutionally vague,” as it does not provide specific definitions for “acts of terrorism” or “threat to public safety.” The lawsuit notes that vagueness allows government officials, including Trump, to define the terms “as they see fit,” which could mean “potentially broadcasting arbitrary, biased, irrational and/or content-based messages to hundreds of millions of people.”
I'm not predicting it, but I could see the courts ruling that the guidelines for use need to be tightened up.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Image

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:44 pm
Image

As if he has done such a great job of following rules and laws so far, of course he won't send out a partisan message right before an election - as bush did when he raised the silly color coded threat level right before the election. oops, the only threat was the election.

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:21 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:44 pm
Image

As if he has done such a great job of following rules and laws so far, of course he won't send out a partisan message right before an election - as bush did when he raised the silly color coded threat level right before the election. oops, the only threat was the election.
:lol:

Post Reply