Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Captain

Re: Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Unread post by O Really » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:09 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:54 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:10 pm
I don't know if they still have it, but back in the day there were "early out" programs that got you out I think up to 3 months early. As I recall, it applied to, for example, people whose current assignment was ending, but they didn't have time left on the enlistment to start a new one. Probably other reasons, too.
Ok, I'll play trump: show me the service record. Show me the college or high school transcripts and birth certificate. Nah, I understand what you say and am aware of some folks getting an "early out" sort of thing either due to less demand for their particular rate (job) or because of budget matters or even because some guys maybe saved up their thirty day annual leave to become 120 days before their four year enlistment ended. Somehow I feel this acid man is in another category. I could be wrong and never said I never was. I think acid man is an outcast.
Oh, I agree with you. As I think about it, even with an early out, you'd generally be considered to have served "four years".

Whack9
Major

Unread post by Whack9 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:30 pm

"OK, Boomer"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
“OK, boomer” has turned into an epithet rallying the country’s young against their forebears in collective mockery. The all-purpose reply is designed to disarm oldish people who dispense condescension dressed up as wisdom.

OK, boomer” indicts not an argument and not an individual but an entire generation, or an entire generation’s attitude — and it does it with two words dripping with dismissal. The Gen Z progenitors of this insolent slogan say they use it because they’re inheriting a collapsing climate, an unequal economy and endless battles overseas that they didn’t start. They’re saying a lot with very little, and by saying very little they end up saying even more.
Been seeing this meme pop up a lot lately.

I find stuff like this worrisome. I think there's an inherit danger in lumping an entire group of people together in a derisive, dismissive, manner. Now, I understand we use concepts to "lump things together" all the time. We categorize and label things to facilitate communication. That's how language works. But I think potential problems arise when we begin to apply negative associations to entire groups of people. Its easy for that to slip into feelings of superiority, prejudice and outright hate for an said group, irrespective of the individual.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:30 pm
"OK, Boomer"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
“OK, boomer” has turned into an epithet rallying the country’s young against their forebears in collective mockery. The all-purpose reply is designed to disarm oldish people who dispense condescension dressed up as wisdom.

OK, boomer” indicts not an argument and not an individual but an entire generation, or an entire generation’s attitude — and it does it with two words dripping with dismissal. The Gen Z progenitors of this insolent slogan say they use it because they’re inheriting a collapsing climate, an unequal economy and endless battles overseas that they didn’t start. They’re saying a lot with very little, and by saying very little they end up saying even more.
Been seeing this meme pop up a lot lately.

I find stuff like this worrisome. I think there's an inherit danger in lumping an entire group of people together in a derisive, dismissive, manner. Now, I understand we use concepts to "lump things together" all the time. We categorize and label things to facilitate communication. That's how language works. But I think potential problems arise when we begin to apply negative associations to entire groups of people. Its easy for that to slip into feelings of superiority, prejudice and outright hate for an said group, irrespective of the individual.
It's unfair and rude, but as a boomer I also think it's kinda funny. We really have fucked things up, with the election of 45SHOLE being our crowning achievement, and it's not all that different from our mocking "blue hairs" and "old farts yelling at kids on their lawns."

Rather than get upset, I might just call her/him a "smartass", mention how much more money I have, and point out that s/he has to live with the consequences of our choices, not the reverse :twisted: .
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Yeah, I vividly remember in high school thinking that "when folks my age are in charge of things, it will be a lot better." Well, shit, nobody ever called me and things are more fucked up now than they've ever been. I feel the shame and degradation but am working to fix it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:31 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:56 pm
Yeah, I vividly remember in high school thinking that "when folks my age are in charge of things, it will be a lot better." Well, shit, nobody ever called me and things are more fucked up now than they've ever been. I feel the shame and degradation but am working to fix it.
Speaking of things that boomers have fucked up, albeit a minority of us:
U.S. seen as 'exporter of white supremacist ideology,' says counterterrorism official

After an upsurge in racially motivated attacks around the world, other countries are beginning to regard the United States as an exporter of white supremacism, a senior U.S. counterterrorism official said Friday.

“For almost two decades, the United States has pointed abroad at countries who are exporters of extreme Islamist ideology,” Russell Travers, acting director of the National Counterterrorism Center, told an audience in Washington, D.C. “We are now being seen as the exporter of white supremacist ideology. That’s a reality with which we are going to have to deal.” ...
Gotta love that "Made in America" label.

Inside the Private Messages of Neo-Nazi Group Atomwaffen Division

Before it gained recognition as a homicidal neo-Nazi terrorist organization, Atomwaffen Division found its biggest fans among underage American boys and active-duty U.S. military personnel, leaked messages reveal.

Atomwaffen is a violent white supremacist group, with at least five murders attributed to its members. The group formed in 2015 on the now-defunct fascist forum Iron March. This week, a trove of years' worth of Iron March logs, including private messages, appeared online in spreadsheet form, posted anonymously by a user dubbed “antifa-data.” The logs contain potentially identifying information about forum participants, as well as a look into Atomwaffen’s origins....
:---P

Excellent, shine the light of day on the white supremacist cockroaches.

Massive White Supremacist Message Board Leak: How to Access and Interpret the Data
https://www.bellingcat.com/resources/ho ... -the-data/

Iron March backup SQL dump
https://archive.org/details/iron_march_201911

Files for iron_march_201911
https://archive.org/download/iron_march_201911

Might spot someone you know.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?