Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Captain

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by O Really » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:48 pm
Inside the Amazingly Stupid Far-Right Campaign to Keep Sean Spicer on 'Dancing With the Stars'

"Amazingly Stupid Far-Right" is redundant.

The really funny thing about this is that even if he wins after this massive and pathetic rightwing effort he will still be a poor dancer, just a reality show victor, and the failed press secretary and failed communications director for the failed POSPOTUS admin*. Haha, the joke is on the desperate cons.
The show is going to have to do something about that. Take politics out, the guy is awful. The clumsy Bobby Bones won last season and there was enough uproar the show actually sat out for about a year before resuming, and then supposedly made changes in the scoring. But it's not like the show publishes the actual viewer voting numbers. Just dump him already.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 pm
The show is going to have to do something about that. Take politics out, the guy is awful. The clumsy Bobby Bones won last season and there was enough uproar the show actually sat out for about a year before resuming, and then supposedly made changes in the scoring. But it's not like the show publishes the actual viewer voting numbers. Just dump him already.
I've always wondered if any show's audience tallies are accurate. Why wouldn't they fudge in whatever way they think is best for ratings? Now, Spicer either proves that the tallies are legit, or that they're fake exactly because he generates adoration and hatred. Who knows? It's one reason that I quit voting, though I am sometimes still a fan of competition shows (not DWTS this year).

Assuming that Spicer is a rotten dancer, enough so that he knows it compared to the others, it's emblematic of his total lack of character that he's playing along.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

I've always wondered if any show's audience tallies are accurate. Why wouldn't they fudge in whatever way they think is best for ratings? Now, Spicer either proves that the tallies are legit, or that they're fake exactly because he generates adoration and hatred.
Yeah, I hadn't thought that they might be padding his count just to keep the controversy going, or to get people to tune in just to see if ol' Sean gets dumped this week. WWF has thrived on that for decades, and all the other "reality" shows always have a villain-type person who frequently seem to stay around longer than s/he should. So it does make some sense that they might be keeping him as the villain. But IMNVHO that only works for a short time, and in the short-term. If enough people see the villain as being such a miserable piece of shit - or the "voting" so ridiculously rigged - that they no longer enjoy the show, then the producers have stepped on their own dicks.

Ulysses
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Ulysses » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:55 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:14 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:12 pm
I remember reading that Lisa Kudrow is actually quite smart and educated - a bio science degree (like me)...
:thumbup:
Vassar! :clap:

Just a guess, but I think it takes real intelligence to so successfully portray a ditz.

Real ditzes, like 1 FAT CAN or your LNF friends, we just end up feeling sorry for or are disgusted by and the comedy is ruined.
Well, by way of example, over on LNF the poster known as Jasmine dropped out of college after two years. She has since made a career out of selling trinkets in a Honolulu "Boutique"... Sad.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:43 am

Acting, at least at the level necessary to get a job on a top TV show or film isn't that easy, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that most of them are well above average intelligence. It's certainly easy to find many examples of really smart actors.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:21 am

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:55 pm
Well, by way of example, over on LNF the poster known as Jasmine dropped out of college after two years. She has since made a career out of selling trinkets in a Honolulu "Boutique"... Sad.
Is she a rightwing ditz?

I'm reminded of my first nursing school, an LPN (LVN in CA) program because I didn't know If I would like nursing (later got my BSN - RN). The class was all women, some recently divorced, some fairly fresh out of high school. Some were smart enough for college, but various thing put them in vocational school - money, motivation, circumstance, etc. Then there was me, a 30 year old male activist looking for a more practical and intimate expression of his activism, and the eventual option for international work.

Anyhow, your "selling trinkets" reminded me of one of our students, an older, kinda mean ditz that we knew early on wouldn't make it. At some point she transferred to fashion marketing. Henceforth, that became our collective mantra whenever things got rough, "Well, there's always fashion marketing."
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

Ulysses
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Ulysses » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:05 am

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:21 am
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:55 pm
Is she a rightwing ditz?

I'm reminded of my first nursing school, an LPN (LVN in CA) program because I didn't know If I would like nursing (later got my BSN - RN). The class was all women, some recently divorced, some fairly fresh out of high school. Some were smart enough for college, but various thing put them in vocational school - money, motivation, circumstance, etc. Then there was me, a 30 year old male activist looking for a more practical and intimate expression of his activism, and the eventual option for international work.

Anyhow, your "selling trinkets" reminded me of one of our students, an older, kinda mean ditz that we knew early on wouldn't make it. At some point she transferred to fashion marketing. Henceforth, that became our collective mantra whenever things got rough, "Well, there's always fashion marketing."
Yup.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 am

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:38 pm
Yeah, I hadn't thought that they might be padding his count just to keep the controversy going, or to get people to tune in just to see if ol' Sean gets dumped this week. WWF has thrived on that for decades, and all the other "reality" shows always have a villain-type person who frequently seem to stay around longer than s/he should. So it does make some sense that they might be keeping him as the villain. But IMNVHO that only works for a short time, and in the short-term. If enough people see the villain as being such a miserable piece of shit - or the "voting" so ridiculously rigged - that they no longer enjoy the show, then the producers have stepped on their own dicks.
You called it, Spicer was dumped 6 days later.

I'm not watching this year, are you as outraged by James Van Der Beek's elimination last night as others are?
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 am

I'm not watching this year, are you as outraged by James Van Der Beek's elimination last night as others are?
Not really. He was good, but once they got rid of Sean, everybody pretty much deserves to be there. I might have booted Hannah because I'm a bit tired of her beauty queen high maintenance, but she is a very good dancer. Or maybe I'd have booted Lauren because she seems to be maybe a half-step from the others. But at this point, there shouldn't be any elimination considered a shaft.