2020 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:20 am

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:08 pm
Joe Biden beats Donald Trump in Texas poll as he breaks from Democratic party line on abortion

Joe Biden put clear water between himself and other Democrat presidential candidates on the issue of abortion as he pulled into a surprise poll lead over Donald Trump in the traditionally conservative state of Texas.

He enraged pro-choice activists, and many senior Democrat colleagues, by confirming he was against the idea of the US government using taxpayers' money to fund abortion.

Mr Biden's campaign confirmed he backs the Hyde amendment, a 40-year-old law banning federal funding for abortion other than in cases of incest, rape, or to save the life of the mother.

The official position of the Democrat party, and every other Democrat presidential candidate, is that Hyde should be repealed. They argue the ban prevents the poorest women gaining access to abortions.

Mr Biden has set out a clear strategy of trying to occupy the centre ground in 2020, distancing himself from all of the other two dozen Democrat presidential candidates....
Hmmm, obviously I think the government should fund abortion like it does all other healthcare. However, after all of these year of it not doing so, I'm not sure the Democrats should make this their Waterloo. There's plenty to do just defending the legality of and unfunded access to abortion.

Maybe I'm just being a middle class guy, but this doesn't make me not favor Biden any more than I already did.
The former vice president led Mr Trump 48-44 in a a Quinnipiac University poll of voters in Texas, where victory in 2020 would virtually guarantee him the White House.

Other polls gave Mr Biden 12-point leads over Mr Trump in the key "rust belt" state of Michigan, and the swing state of North Carolina.

He also had a four-point lead in the usually Republican border state of Arizona....

His position is one that could help Mr Biden to win Texas, usually the biggest Republican-voting state. Mr Trump won it by nine points in 2016, but that was the smallest margin of victory for a Republican since 1996.

The Quinnipiac poll showed Mr Biden leading 55 per cent to Mr Trump's 33 per cent among Texas voters classifying themselves as "independent"....
:---P :thumbup:
If Texas is a true battleground, POSPOTUS loses whichever way Texas ends up going.
That didn't last long.

In reversal, Biden opposes ban on federal money for abortion
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Craziness heard on TV news: SC could be competitive in the 2020 POTUS general election, SC!

They also mentioned that Lindsey Graham may have a Black challenger. Blacks are the majority of Dems there, so a primary win is very possible. If s/he somehow won the general, SC would have 2 Black senators. :crazy:

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:45 pm
Craziness heard on TV news: SC could be competitive in the 2020 POTUS general election, SC!

They also mentioned that Lindsey Graham may have a Black challenger. Blacks are the majority of Dems there, so a primary win is very possible. If s/he somehow won the general, SC would have 2 Black senators. :crazy:

can anyone vote in the republican primary?
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:37 pm

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:29 pm
can anyone vote in the republican primary?
Idk. In NC, yes.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:45 pm
... SC would have 2 Black senators. :crazy:
Not really. They might have one Black senator and a Republican with darkish skin.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Why I'm not a Dem, current manifestation:

The DNC Strategy Will Defeat Climate Voters, Not Trump

Well, that's depressing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:10 pm

New poll shows Trump trailing Biden and four other Democrats

A nationwide Fox News poll released Sunday shows President Donald Trump trailing former vice president Joe Biden and no fewer than four other Democratic contenders as early campaigning for the 2020 election begins to gain steam.

A separate survey of battleground states, by CBS, shows Democrats strongly favor Biden as the candidate most likely to beat Trump in next year's elections.

The Fox poll showed Biden leading Trump by 49 percent to 39 percent among all registered voters nationwide, while Senator Bernie Sanders held nearly the same advantage over the president, at 49 percent to 40 percent.

Holding edges of 1 or 2 points over Trump -- albeit within the poll's 3-point margin of error -- were Senators Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris, as well as Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana....

The CBS News/YouGov Battleground Tracker survey, conducted May 31 to June 12, said Biden had the backing of 31 percent of Democratic primary voters in 18 key early-voting states.

Biden was trailed by senators Elizabeth Warren (17 percent), Sanders (16 percent) and Kamala Harris (10 percent).

1 CAT FAN
General

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:26 pm

"Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2020, etc. Elections

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:45 am

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:50 am

We need more old white guys running in both parties.
Former U.S. congressman Sestak joins Democratic presidential race

Former U.S. Representative Joe Sestak said on Sunday that he would seek the Democratic nomination for president, becoming the party's 25th candidate vying to challenge Republican President Donald Trump in the 2020 election.

In announcing his candidacy, Sestak, 67, a retired three-star U.S. Navy admiral, emphasized his 31-year military career, the need to restore U.S. leadership in the world and challenges from climate change and China's growing global influence.

"Our country desperately needs a president with a depth of global experience and an understanding of all the elements of our nation’s power, from our economy and our diplomacy to the power of our ideals and our military, including its limitations," Sestak said in a video released on his campaign website....

Sestak represented a district in eastern Pennsylvania including the former industrial cities of Allentown and Bethlehem for two terms from 2007 to 2011.

He ran for the U.S. Senate in 2010 and lost to Republican Pat Toomey in a year that saw Republicans take control of the House of Representatives. Sestak sought a rematch with Toomey in 2016 but lost in the Democratic nominating primary....

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:00 pm

NBC News: Do you have a question for the 2020 candidates? What would you ask at the first debate?
We might ask your question at the debate on June 26 and 27.

Me:
Will you continue the failed drug prohibition, or will you switch to proven pubic health/harm reduction strategies?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:52 pm

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Only de Blasio and Warren supported 'Medicare for All' last night.

:roll:

GoCubsGo
Ensign

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Didn't watch last night, five minutes of sniping tonight was enough. There's a Beatles special on pbs.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:51 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 pm
Didn't watch last night, five minutes of sniping tonight was enough. There's a Beatles special on pbs.
That sounds good. It must be begging season for your station.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 pm
I didn't watch either night.
O Really wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:13 pm
If I had to pick out of the current bunch, I guess I'd take Harris.
The MSNBC talking heads seemed enamored with Harris' performance tonight. Maybe it'll break her out of the polling doldrums.

Sparks fly as Kamala Harris challenges Joe Biden's record on race

Many folks liked Warren and Castro the night before, too. No one is claiming automatic breakouts or eliminations, yet.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Just saw a little part of this. He seemed persuasive.

Biden Defends Civil Rights Record After Harris Blasted Him Over Segregation, Busing

He got in a good zinger in response to Harris during the debate by saying that he had only been a public defender, never a prosecutor like her.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:08 am

“Anyway, my time’s up. I’m sorry.”
-- Joe Biden
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/joe-bide ... 29725.html

:D

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:57 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wide-eyed-jo ... 43670.html
bernie's hand is that text from ur ex

I laughed so hard at Biden’s slow hand raise that I had to rewind and record it. 😂😂😂😂😂 (see article)
Joe Biden when it’s time to raise a hand #DemDebate2020

Biden every time the moderators ask a "raise your hand" question

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 pm
The MSNBC talking heads seemed enamored with Harris' performance tonight. Maybe it'll break her out of the polling doldrums.

Many folks liked Warren and Castro the night before, too. No one is claiming automatic breakouts or eliminations, yet.
Biden's Support Slipped 10 Points After Debates, Poll Shows

... The polling prior to debates, which was conducted between June 19 and 26, suggested that Biden was supported by about 41.5% of voters. At that point, the polling showed Sen. Elizabeth Warren had the support of 12.6% of voters and Bernie Sanders had 14.4% of support.

Biden appears to have slipped in the polls after each debate, his support falling to 35.4% after the first debate and to 31.5% after the second round....

The poll also showed Harris gaining a significant number of supporters. While she had the support of just 7.9% of likely voters before the debate, she had 16.6% of the the support afterwards.

Other candidates appeared to experience smaller gains and losses, according to the poll. Sen. Bernie Sanders’ support rose from 14.4% to 17.3% after the second debate; Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s support grew from 12.6% to 14.4%.
Morning Consult and FiveThirtyEight: Who Won The First Democratic Debate?

... Among all 20 candidates, Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren and Julián Castro earned the highest scores for their debate performances relative to their favorability rating before they took the stage, according to the voters in our poll. Bernie Sanders and Cory Booker also rated well, but their scores were more in line with their pre-debate favorability. Meanwhile, voters didn’t exactly think Beto O’Rourke did badly on Night 1, but his grades were underwhelming given his popularity.

(graph)

... Who likely Democratic voters would vote for if the election were held tomorrow, among those who responded to polls conducted both before and after the debates

(graph) As mentioned in the article above, plus:
Pete Buttigieg down from 7 to 5%.
Cory Booker unchanged at 3%.
Beto O’Rourke down from 4 to 2%.
Julian Castro up from 1 to 2%.

... The chart below is tracking which candidates are well liked and which ones voters aren’t very familiar with. Harris, Castro, Booker and Warren, the big winners with viewers in terms of their debate performances, also got big boosts in their net favorable ratings. (Castro especially.) And while Biden lost some supporters, his overwhelmingly positive favorability ratings didn’t really change, suggesting that he can still recover even if he hurt his cause on Thursday night. Check back Monday to see if a weekend of reflection — and media spin — has changed how voters feel about these candidates....