2020 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6573
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by neoplacebo »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:44 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:08 am
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:34 am
Warren - “I think you called me a liar on National TV.”
Now let's wait for his "reply" in the form of something to do with "leftists" or "fudge" or "monkeys."
You just said it, only one line is required to describe the left.
A one trick pony.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 27387
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

Just one poll, but contains some surprises for me:

Image

Bernie! bests any 2 opponents combined.
Bloomberg is not yet making the national impact that some have been saying or that one would expect from $400M spent.
Buttigieg and Klobuchar are not getting the bounce from Iowa and NH that some were saying.
Steyer doesn't register, not even a mention in the article despite ten of millions spent.

At some point Dems may have to go all in with Bernie! or seriously risk 45SHOLE's reelection. This is not very comparable to the Bernie! fans that sat out 2016 or chose Stein. Few really thought that Hillary might lose.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire
1312.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 27387
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

I caught part of this:

Democratic rivals pummel Bloomberg at start of Nevada debate

I think the digs are relevant and not just political cattiness. My odds for Bloomberg getting the nomination just dropped. Back to Amy, Pete or less likely Joe for the moderates?
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire
1312.

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13398
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by O Really »

Number of people watching Dem circular firing squad show: @7 million

Number of people in top six TV markets who might have seen Bloomberg ads: 50 million+

Number of people who already knew about Bloomberg's skeletons: Pretty much everybody who recognize his name.

Number of times Bernie! spoke without hunching over, waving his finger and scolding: 0

I really wish Pete weren't gay and had done something other than being mayor of South Bend.

I'd give best overall performer for the night to Amy. Too bad she has no chance.

Award for most tiresome/shrewish: Elizabeth, by a lot.

Not-the-best-at-anything-but-pretty-good-at-everything award: Joe. We'll see how or if it translates to a rebound.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 27387
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:43 am
Number of people watching Dem circular firing squad show: @7 million ...
I'm not going out of my way to bash Bloomberg. I'm basing my opinion on the little I saw and the nearly unanimous reporting on the night.

Ads are easy to dismiss. Ask Tom Steyer. Otoh, word-of-mouth and word-of-pundit magnify the 7 million. Plus, those 7 million are the most likely to vote in primaries.

I knew that Bloomberg was iffy, but some of the specific knocks are new to me.
Ouch.

I did not watch enough to opine on the others' performance. These 4 unanimously disagree with you about how Liz! did:

What happened in Vegas? Who won, who lost and takeaways from the Democratic debate

They think she won, though my guess is that Bernie! is unstoppable among the progressives. That's not to say that a moderate couldn't still beat him.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire
1312.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Captain
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

In other news......

Trump repeatedly struggles to pronounce words during conspiracy-laden rally

Shame Cheetohead doesn't have to play by the same rules as everyone else, he'd be out on lack of medical disclosure alone.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Captain
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:43 am


I really wish Pete weren't gay and had done something other than being mayor of South Bend.

True dat (and was 5-10 years older).

Why is this field so uninspiring?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 27387
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 am
... Why is this field so uninspiring?
Because WE got old?
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire
1312.

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13398
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 am
These 4 unanimously disagree with you about how Liz! did:

Oh, I don't know. Which ones said she wasn't tiresome and shrewish?

I see it that we'd all like our candidate/President to be a new Mercedes with all the tech bells and whistles, and all that's on the market are new and used Fords. So we complain about the mileage or the scratch in the paint job or that they don't have auto-park, while forgetting that what we have now and are trying to get rid of is a '75 Pacer with a oil-smoking semi-blown engine, 4 bald tires, electrical shorts and a leaky gas tank.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 27387
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:13 am
Oh, I don't know. Which ones said she wasn't tiresome and shrewish?

:lol: Okay, but you forgot to mention the winning part.

I see it that we'd all like our candidate/President to be a new Mercedes with all the tech bells and whistles, and all that's on the market are new and used Fords. So we complain about the mileage or the scratch in the paint job or that they don't have auto-park, while forgetting that what we have now and are trying to get rid of is a '75 Pacer with a oil-smoking semi-blown engine, 4 bald tires, electrical shorts and a leaky gas tank.

About 40% of Americans are lemons, too, and sometimes they're contagious.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire
1312.

User avatar
Whack9
Ensign
Posts: 1653
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Whack9 »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 am
In other news......

Trump repeatedly struggles to pronounce words during conspiracy-laden rally

Shame Cheetohead doesn't have to play by the same rules as everyone else, he'd be out on lack of medical disclosure alone.
Those rallies are so bizarre.

Hey, has anyone ever watched the show "Black Mirror"?

There was an episode about a cartoon character that becomes a candidate and gains a ton of popularity due to his abrasive rhetoric. Sound familiar?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Waldo_Moment

When I watched it for the first time around the 2016 election I thought it was trying to parody Tump and his style. I thought it was almost too hamfisted in it's accuracy. Turns out the episode came out in 2013, though, so it's more like Trump is taking his cues from that black mirror episode rather than the reverse.
Fuck 2019 2020

Ezekiel 23:20

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 27387
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 am
I'm not going out of my way to bash Bloomberg. I'm basing my opinion on the little I saw and the nearly unanimous reporting on the night....
Now I'll go out of my way to bash Bloomberg, :D .
Bloomberg And His Own "Kids In Cages"...
by Michael Moore


Bloomberg.

In 1999 he called me up and asked me to be his “date” at the annual White House Correspondents Dinner. I said,"Yes." When I got there he was with his other “date” — Charlie Rose. Disgusting. Those two were peas in a pod. Two years later Bloomberg was Mayor. He took Rudy’s “Stop and Frisk” program and put it on steroids. 12 long Bloomberg years of rounding up, apprehending and assaulting 5 million innocent black and brown men from 2001 to 2013. Yes, that’s right: FIVE MILLION black and brown boys and young men (a number that just screams incomprehensible!) — and THAT is why I beg everyone to shun Bloomberg in this election year.

In police states past and present, in order to make it easy for the police to identify the subhumans they seek to terrorize, the authorities require the hunted to carry ID papers, or wear a “scarlet letter” or have an identifying emblem sewn onto their clothes. None of this was needed in New York City. The mark of their status as “permanent suspect” was already on them — their skin. It covered their whole body. It could not be removed. A permanent stain for the permanent suspects. It made it so easy to grab them and nail them and instill in them a sick fear that they were forced to carry with them every time they stepped outside their homes. That, of course, was the true intention of Bloomberg & Co. — let a race of people be reminded on a daily basis who’s in charge, who’s to bow their heads and obey the orders, who’s to shut their mouths about their lack of decent housing, livable income, health care or going to a great school. Hunt, stalk, neutralize, zip-tie. Then release and let them go home to sink into further despair, trapped in their misery, imprisoned even if not inside an actual prison, the Bloomberg brand of kids in cages. I speak these truths as I’ve witnessed them. My RUMBLE podcast, the Bloomberg episode, just posted.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire
1312.

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13398
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:26 am
O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:13 am
Oh, I don't know. Which ones said she wasn't tiresome and shrewish?

:lol: Okay, but you forgot to mention the winning part.

I can fix that. Here - Elizabeth was the winner in the "yo-mamma" game, followed closely by Pete who had done a good job preparing his sound bytes and using them when he got a chance. None of which, IMNVHO, is worth a hill of beans in either addressing vital issues or getting rid of Trump.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 27387
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:56 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:26 am
O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:13 am
Oh, I don't know. Which ones said she wasn't tiresome and shrewish?
:lol: Okay, but you forgot to mention the winning part.
I can fix that. Here - Elizabeth was the winner in the "yo-mamma" game, followed closely by Pete who had done a good job preparing his sound bytes and using them when he got a chance. None of which, IMNVHO, is worth a hill of beans in either addressing vital issues or getting rid of Trump.
Devil's advocate - They no doubt both think that they are the best way to get rid of Trump. To do that, they have to win the nomination.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire
1312.

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13398
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:04 pm

Devil's advocate - They no doubt both think that they are the best way to get rid of Trump. To do that, they have to win the nomination.
I don't agree with much Reagan ever did or said, but I do agree with the principle of his Eleventh Commandment: "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow (party member)." It's not hard to find clear examples of the abuse heaped on a candidate during the nomination process weakened them in the general election and maybe cause (certainly contributed to) their defeat. The current crop is so wrapped up in their own ego that they're losing focus on the most important goal they've ever faced. Except Steyer, who says "any Democrat is better than the criminal in the White House..." but then, nobody listens to Steyer anyway, apparently.

Do they really forget that everything they say about their competitors will be used to beat the eventual winner over the head during the general campaign? Suppose it were to be Bloomberg - how many times will "Poco" be featured in a Trump campaign? Suppose it's Bernie! What a treasure trove of vid clips Trump's henchmen will have.

The term "eating their own" comes to mind.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6573
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by neoplacebo »

If it's any consolation to anyone, I will now declare that I will run as a write in candidate. Just write in "NEO" for "neoplacebo electoral organization" and watch things change for the better. I will eliminate all foreign aid and consider requests for it on a case by case basis. I will endeavor to make corporations and the wealthy pay their fair share in taxes and move the US embassy in Israel to Cairo. I will also make Congress work for ALL the people by a combination of flattery and bullshit since this is the only thing that motivates them. It'll be a new day for us all. I will also advocate for a punitive tax on wingnuttery and dumbfuckery that will force those who engage in it to pay severely for doing so. Thank you.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Captain
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:57 pm
If it's any consolation to anyone, I will now declare that I will run as a write in candidate. Just write in "NEO" for "neoplacebo electoral organization" and watch things change for the better. I will eliminate all foreign aid and consider requests for it on a case by case basis. I will endeavor to make corporations and the wealthy pay their fair share in taxes and move the US embassy in Israel to Cairo. I will also make Congress work for ALL the people by a combination of flattery and bullshit since this is the only thing that motivates them. It'll be a new day for us all. I will also advocate for a punitive tax on wingnuttery and dumbfuckery that will force those who engage in it to pay severely for doing so. Thank you.
Thank you for your service.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6573
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:05 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:57 pm
If it's any consolation to anyone, I will now declare that I will run as a write in candidate. Just write in "NEO" for "neoplacebo electoral organization" and watch things change for the better. I will eliminate all foreign aid and consider requests for it on a case by case basis. I will endeavor to make corporations and the wealthy pay their fair share in taxes and move the US embassy in Israel to Cairo. I will also make Congress work for ALL the people by a combination of flattery and bullshit since this is the only thing that motivates them. It'll be a new day for us all. I will also advocate for a punitive tax on wingnuttery and dumbfuckery that will force those who engage in it to pay severely for doing so. Thank you.
Thank you for your service.
:thumbup: Vote wisely

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Captain
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:07 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:05 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:57 pm
If it's any consolation to anyone, I will now declare that I will run as a write in candidate. Just write in "NEO" for "neoplacebo electoral organization" and watch things change for the better. I will eliminate all foreign aid and consider requests for it on a case by case basis. I will endeavor to make corporations and the wealthy pay their fair share in taxes and move the US embassy in Israel to Cairo. I will also make Congress work for ALL the people by a combination of flattery and bullshit since this is the only thing that motivates them. It'll be a new day for us all. I will also advocate for a punitive tax on wingnuttery and dumbfuckery that will force those who engage in it to pay severely for doing so. Thank you.
Thank you for your service.
:thumbup: Vote wisely
Whatareyougonnaofferme?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6573
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:48 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:07 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:05 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:57 pm
If it's any consolation to anyone, I will now declare that I will run as a write in candidate. Just write in "NEO" for "neoplacebo electoral organization" and watch things change for the better. I will eliminate all foreign aid and consider requests for it on a case by case basis. I will endeavor to make corporations and the wealthy pay their fair share in taxes and move the US embassy in Israel to Cairo. I will also make Congress work for ALL the people by a combination of flattery and bullshit since this is the only thing that motivates them. It'll be a new day for us all. I will also advocate for a punitive tax on wingnuttery and dumbfuckery that will force those who engage in it to pay severely for doing so. Thank you.
Thank you for your service.
:thumbup: Vote wisely
Whatareyougonnaofferme?
Dignity, integrity, responsibility, equity, fairness, pride, cheeseburgers, and a beer allowance. I will also legalize all drugs and impose severe penalties on drug dealers who peddle inferior product.

Post Reply