Tree Hugger Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Tree Hugger Thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:52 pm

It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about President Trump’s selection of David Bernhardt to serve as Secretary of the Department of the Interior (DOI). I appreciate hearing from you.

On February 4, 2019, President Trump nominated David Bernhardt to serve as Secretary of the Interior. The task of vetting nominees and judges is one of the most important duties I have as a United States Senator. In order for nominees to gain my support, they must be eminently qualified with the necessary experience to execute their responsibilities capably.

Prior to his nomination for DOI Secretary, Mr. Bernhardt was confirmed by the Senate to be Deputy Secretary of the Department. Mr. Bernhardt has been leading DOI as the Acting Secretary since January 2, 2019, after Secretary Zinke resigned. I am confident that Mr. Bernhardt will continue working to protect, promote, and preserve our public lands and natural resources should he be confirmed as Secretary. Please know that when his nomination comes before the full Senate, I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again about other important issues.

Sincerely,

Thom Tillis (R-NC)
U.S. Senator
"eminently qualified", Repug style:
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm
David Bernhardt: Legal work and lobbying

Bernhardt served as DOI Solicitor until 2009. That year he rejoined the Colorado-based law firm Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck. Bernhardt became a shareholder in the firm and chairman of the firm's natural resources law practice. Bernhardt's clients included Halliburton, Cobalt International Energy, Samson Resources, and the Independent Petroleum Association of America.

Through Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, Bernhardt represented San Joaquin Valley’s Westlands Water District in "a lawsuit that sought to undo court-imposed protections for endangered salmon in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta." Berhardt also represented entities such as the proposed Rosemont Copper open pit mine in Arizona. Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck was involved in representing other mining, oil, and extractive industries, as well as projects such as the Cadiz, Inc. groundwater pumping project in the Mojave Desert in California. Cadiz later refuted that Bernhardt had lobbied directly for the company, though environmentalists at the non-profit Center for Biological Diversity suspected Bernhardt's involvement when the DOI changed its views to be positive towards the project in March 2017.

In 2011, Bernhardt filed a lawsuit for Westlands that "sought to force the feds to make good on a commitment to build a multibillion-dollar system to dispose of the poisoned water" resulting from toxic irrigation in the Westlands district. Later, through the 2017 bill HR 1769, Westlands agreed to drop the lawsuit in exchange for forgiven debt and long-term access to water from Central Valley Project facilities. In April 2017, the House Natural Resources Committee approved the settlement, but rejected an amendment that would have "barred former Westlands officials or lobbyists — meaning Bernhardt — from working on the drainage issue for five years."
:puke-left:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). I appreciate hearing from you.

On February 11, 2019, Representative Jared Huffman (D-CA) introduced H.R. 1146, the Arctic Cultural and Coastal Plain Protection Act. If enacted, this legislation would repeal a provision of the December 2017 tax reform package opening a small portion of the non-wilderness 1002 Area of ANWR to be used for responsible energy exploration (Title II).

The Congressional Budget Office estimates that oil and gas development in the section covered by Title II amounts to a mere 0.01 percent of the entire refuge and would generate over $1,000,000,000 in new revenue. This revenue from Title II is important in offsetting costs associated with tax reform and meeting restrictions under federal law.

While I understand your support for protecting our country’s most critical natural resources, I believe that we can successfully explore oil and natural gas opportunities without creating adverse effects to our environment. In fact, expanding opportunities for domestic energy production under our stringent environmental protection standards can help protect the global environment by reducing the demand for foreign oil. Please know that if H.R. 1146 comes before the full Senate, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again about other important issues.

Sincerely,
Thom Tillis (R-NC)
U.S. Senator
There is no such thing as "responsible energy exploration" in an ecosystem as hostile and fragile as ANWR, and leaving it in the ground while developing alternatives does far more to "help protect the global environment" and our economy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:17 pm