War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: War on Women

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:44 pm

I got an email from UltraViolet Action about the Violence Against Women Act with:
Subject: Rep. Meadows can do the right thing
It's a very serious subject, but I'm glad that they haven't lost their sense of humor about my Rep.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Asheville Archives: Lillian Exum Clement takes her seat in the House, 1921

All interesting to me, but a few things stood out:
... Ironically, at the time of Clark’s letter, the 19th Amendment, which granted women the right to vote, had yet to obtain the necessary approval by three-fourths of the states. Despite the uncertainty of its future ratification, Clark assured Clement that he found no language in the North Carolina Constitution that barred women from holding office.
Well, that was a lapse. ;)
In his letter, filled with encouragement and historical perspective, Clark added:
“Napolean’s power was largely based upon his assertion of the republican doctrine ‘An avenue open to merit without distinction of birth.’ It is equally necessary that we should assert the doctrine of ‘An avenue to merit, without distinction to sex.’ ..."
On April 15, 1920, shortly after receiving Clark’s letter, Clement accepted the Democratic nomination. Four months later, Tennessee became the 36th and final state needed to ratify the 19th Amendment, granting all women the right to vote. (North Carolina would not formally ratify its state constitution until 1971.)
Cool that she beat the 19th by four months.
Congrats, neoplacebo!
"1971"???!!!
Clement proved victorious on election night....
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
... In a Jan. 11, 1921, letter that Clement wrote to her then-fiance, E. Eller Stafford, the newly elected representative declared: “I don’t want people to expect too much of me. There is little I can do alone. If I blaze the trail for other women to come in, until there is enough to do something, then I feel I have done my duty.”
Yep, a direct line from Clement and her sisters to Sarah Palin and Michele Bachman. :D

"1971"???!!!

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:12 pm

New Canadian parents can take 5 extra weeks of shared parental leave starting tomorrow

http://www.victoriabuzz.com/2019/03/new ... -tomorrow/

Maybe the Trump administration will do something like this - if pigs fly into a frozen hell of me voting Republican.

1 CAT FAN
Lurker

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Meanwhile, Stormy Daniels tours the country headlining strip clubs "I had sex with the President". If only Marilyn Monroe wore a g-string for an audience back in the day. "Happy Birthday Mr. President - Tour"
ImageNational Champions

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 pm

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:17 pm
Meanwhile, Stormy Daniels tours the country headlining strip clubs "I had sex with the President". If only Marilyn Monroe wore a g-string for an audience back in the day. "Happy Birthday Mr. President - Tour"
Bullshit. I won't be impressed until some bimbo, or several of them, come out and say they've been getting it on with Jimmy Carter. And they paid him. Bitch.

1 CAT FAN
Lurker

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 am

They say Jimmy had a bound with peanut butter. :lol:
    ImageNational Champions

Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 am

1 CAT FAN wrote:
    Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 am
    They say Jimmy had a bound with peanut butter. :lol:
    Jimmy Carter is still alive. Did something happen to their "bound"?

1 CAT FAN
    Lurker

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Look close enough, all the former Presidents have skeletons in the closet.
      Even the Politicians that failed to become the President have skeletons...
        ImageNational Champions