Outer space thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Outer space thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:45 pm
I read a story today that says a football field sized asteroid or otherwise classified space rock has a chance of hitting the Earth in the next few days. I hope this close proximity of Jupiter doesn't up our chances.....I've got plans.
I've heard that Jupiter is largely our protector from asteroids and comets, maybe to the extent of no life here without it.
The asteroid supposedly the size of a football field that has people freaking out? Don't sweat it

... First of all, it's probably not as big as you think it is. The object is roughly 40 meters in diameter, according to the ESA. A football field is 48.5 meters wide and 109 meters long....
Whew.
ESA says for this particular asteroid, there's a 1 in 7,299 chance of it hitting us. You're more likely to die from excessive cold, which has a 1 in 6,045 chance of happening.
What were the 2014 odds of Trump being P*OTUS?
By comparison, the threshold for action by space agencies is if an asteroid is determined to have a 1 in 100 chance of impact with the Earth -- an order of magnitude different....
What "action"?

Just to be safe, don't make plans for:
2006QV89 is currently 4.2 million miles away from us. If the asteroid does hit Earth, it wouldn't be until September 9, 2019, at 7:03 a.m., ESA says.

Space agencies have been prepping for the worst

NASA, FEMA and other international groups including ESA have been training for what to do if an asteroid ever does hit the planet we call home. They regularly hold near-Earth object impact exercises....
"exercises" like?:

It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:56 pm

That was the same sign used back when little kids got under their desks in drills to protect from "the bomb."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:40 pm

O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:56 pm
That was the same sign used back when little kids got under their desks in drills to protect from "the bomb."
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:07 pm

I remember seeing those yellow and black Civil Defense signs when I was a kid; in the sense that the signs denoted a place that was supposedly safe in the event of an attack. Looking back on it now, those places would have been blasted to dust in an attack; they would just have been places where a lot of people died. I advise anyone to stay home and boogie in the event of a nuclear attack. Fuck those signs; they're bullshit.