Failed prohibition

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26185
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:47 pm
Matchbox was $5.00
3 finger lid was $15 to $20
A full lid was $20 to $25

3 finger lids were usually 2 fingers and I never saw pot sold in the prince albert can (lid).

Now it comes in pretty glass jars
Inflation since and the smoke is worlds better, but think of all that dope humped through the desert one backpack at a time across the border for just $20 to $25 at the final consumer.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13056
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by O Really »

Delivery is a bit better now. To your door like (or maybe with) a pizza.

User avatar
Ulysses
Commander
Posts: 3050
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: I Get Around

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Ulysses »

I haven't smoked pot in over a decade, and then it was usually because someone else brought some and offered a toke.

However if I really wanted to do some I'd probably grow some of my own.

Or, maybe not.

Maybe catnip.

Speaking of which... gonna have to bring the mama cat into the vet to be fixed. And also her two teenage girls. The male offspring can wait a bit. And lately there's been a big tom cat hanging around. He was chasing the mama cat tonight. I grabbed her and stuck her inside. And it smells like he sprayed all over the front porch. Gonna have to hose it down.

Damn cats.

The humane trap will be put into action next week.
Buh-Bye, President Plump...

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:47 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:20 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:20 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:18 pm


The last time I obtained an ounce of prevention it was $400 so that makes a pound of cure $6400. .... Even though the prices are likely a lot less with legalization...
Substantially so. And California has the highest legal prices. You need to relocate, dude.

https://socal-cbd-and-marijuana.busines ... m=referral
Well, that was quite some time ago; nearly ten years. When I first started in this war on drugs, on the side of drugs, one could buy a pound of standard late 60's prevention for about $185. I think I once related the tale of how a friend once bought a 69 Z28 Camaro for $1800 and a pound of prevention. These days a lot has changed, including me, the price of a Z28, and the price and quality of prevention.l
Matchbox was $5.00
3 finger lid was $15 to $20
A full lid was $20 to $25

3 finger lids were usually 2 fingers and I never saw pot sold in the prince albert can (lid).


Now it comes in pretty glass jars
The progress of civilization has been a lot slower than I used to think it would be.

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13056
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:12 am


The progress of civilization has been a lot slower than I used to think it would be.
In the late 70's I was absolutely convinced that grass would be legal everywhere by the 90's at most. It seemed, at least where I lived, that enforcement was pretty lackadaisical for personal use and that most "everyone" was at least an occasional user or blase about it. States started "decriminalizing" small amounts to misdemeanor or "traffic ticket" type charges. In 70-something, Alaska Supreme Court ruled that possession of small amounts of marijuana is covered under privacy laws. Then movement stalled. Alaska even re-criminalized. Employers started the futile practice of drug testing. And it took a long time, going through the charade of medicinal value, to reach the point where you can get quality stuff delivered legally and safely.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:40 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:12 am


The progress of civilization has been a lot slower than I used to think it would be.
In the late 70's I was absolutely convinced that grass would be legal everywhere by the 90's at most. It seemed, at least where I lived, that enforcement was pretty lackadaisical for personal use and that most "everyone" was at least an occasional user or blase about it. States started "decriminalizing" small amounts to misdemeanor or "traffic ticket" type charges. In 70-something, Alaska Supreme Court ruled that possession of small amounts of marijuana is covered under privacy laws. Then movement stalled. Alaska even re-criminalized. Employers started the futile practice of drug testing. And it took a long time, going through the charade of medicinal value, to reach the point where you can get quality stuff delivered legally and safely.
It was either 72 or 73 that I was arrested one summer night for possession of pot and possession of open beer. I got a $2 fine for the pot and $25 fine for the beer. And that was here in TN. Fortunately, the regular judge was on vacation and the fill in judge was my uncle.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8779
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:40 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:12 am


The progress of civilization has been a lot slower than I used to think it would be.
In the late 70's I was absolutely convinced that grass would be legal everywhere by the 90's at most. It seemed, at least where I lived, that enforcement was pretty lackadaisical for personal use and that most "everyone" was at least an occasional user or blase about it. States started "decriminalizing" small amounts to misdemeanor or "traffic ticket" type charges. In 70-something, Alaska Supreme Court ruled that possession of small amounts of marijuana is covered under privacy laws. Then movement stalled. Alaska even re-criminalized. Employers started the futile practice of drug testing. And it took a long time, going through the charade of medicinal value, to reach the point where you can get quality stuff delivered legally and safely.
It was either 72 or 73 that I was arrested one summer night for possession of pot and possession of open beer. I got a $2 fine for the pot and $25 fine for the beer. And that was here in TN. Fortunately, the regular judge was on vacation and the fill in judge was my uncle.

Me too. I was sure that it would be legal by the 90s


Then came Reagan

His administration did so much damage and so much of it we may never get past.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8779
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:41 am
I haven't smoked pot in over a decade, and then it was usually because someone else brought some and offered a toke.

However if I really wanted to do some I'd probably grow some of my own.

Or, maybe not.

Maybe catnip.

Speaking of which... gonna have to bring the mama cat into the vet to be fixed. And also her two teenage girls. The male offspring can wait a bit. And lately there's been a big tom cat hanging around. He was chasing the mama cat tonight. I grabbed her and stuck her inside. And it smells like he sprayed all over the front porch. Gonna have to hose it down.

Damn cats.

The humane trap will be put into action next week.

They can be hard to trap. Good luck

User avatar
Ulysses
Commander
Posts: 3050
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: I Get Around

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:18 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:41 am
I haven't smoked pot in over a decade, and then it was usually because someone else brought some and offered a toke.

However if I really wanted to do some I'd probably grow some of my own.

Or, maybe not.

Maybe catnip.

Speaking of which... gonna have to bring the mama cat into the vet to be fixed. And also her two teenage girls. The male offspring can wait a bit. And lately there's been a big tom cat hanging around. He was chasing the mama cat tonight. I grabbed her and stuck her inside. And it smells like he sprayed all over the front porch. Gonna have to hose it down.

Damn cats.

The humane trap will be put into action next week.

They can be hard to trap. Good luck
Could be. The lady at the SPCA told me that they can relatively easy to trap, even repeatedly, if they are hungry (which they all seem to be around here).

First thing is I have get mamacat fixed. Although I'd like to foster her next litter and make them people friendly, I don't think she should have to go through that again. She is very sweet when she feels like it. Don't know if that is part of her fertile hormone drive or just her personality. Hopefully she will stay sweet after the spaying. After that is done, I'll start setting the trap(s) for the others.
Buh-Bye, President Plump...

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26185
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:01 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:48 pm
How does that even happen?
I don't know the factors in this case, but things that can influence such a tragic outcome include:

PPP - piss poor protoplasm (a genetic failure) - I had a 28 year old, non-drug using patient come in dead and we could not save her. Autopsy showed coronary artery disease and an MI like she was 80.
A temporarily susceptible victim - exhaustion, existing minor illness, etc.
Undiagnosed condition making the victim chronically susceptible - HIV, earlier lung damage, etc.
Antibiotic resistant pathogen
Lack of early care
Substandard care
And, who knows?
A combo of PPP, undiagnosed condition and "who knows?"
Fiancée: Tests reveal that ESPN reporter Edward Aschoff died of non-Hodgkin lymphoma

... Initial assessments showed that he died of pneumonia. But his fiancée Katy Berteau announced on Wednesday that further testing revealed that he had stage 4 non-Hodgkin lymphoma in his lungs....

Aschoff’s doctor’s apparently didn’t know that he was stricken by the cancer until a lung biopsy was completed.

... Bertreau noted that she took comfort in the fact that there was nothing that could have been done to save Aschoff and that the rapid onset of the disease meant that Aschoff didn’t have to linger in his suffering....
Yikes.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13056
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by O Really »

Yikes indeed.
Reminds me of an old not-so-joke about no matter how good you think your doctor is, somebody - somebody - has to be the worst doctor there is. Finished last in med school; barely passed licence; got tossed from two residencies, but managed to get a practice ... and somebody's got an appointment with him tomorrow! :lol:

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26185
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:12 pm
Yikes indeed.
Reminds me of an old not-so-joke about no matter how good you think your doctor is, somebody - somebody - has to be the worst doctor there is. Finished last in med school; barely passed licence; got tossed from two residencies, but managed to get a practice ... and somebody's got an appointment with him tomorrow! :lol:
It doesn't sound like the MDs screwed this one up, but I guess it's possible.

Q: What do they call someone who finishes last in her/his med school class?

A:
Spoiler:
Doctor.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13056
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by O Really »

Yeah I knew that :lol:
I didn't actually mean to imply that it was the doc's fault - at least not from a malpractice standpoint - but it is a bit scary to think of mistaking stage 4 cancer for pneumonia.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26185
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:57 pm
Yeah I knew that :lol:
I didn't actually mean to imply that it was the doc's fault - at least not from a malpractice standpoint - but it is a bit scary to think of mistaking stage 4 cancer for pneumonia.
Guessing here: Nothing differential showed on whatever imaging he had, no other symptoms pointed towards non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and quite invasive lung biopsies on 34 year-olds are very rare.

The most common age of diagnosis is between 65 and 75 years old.

Anyhow, sounds like knowing that it was non-Hodgkin lymphoma at any point after he got sick would not have made a difference. Maybe if it was caught long before he got sick . . .
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by neoplacebo »

One of my home boys just being another grain of sand in the machinery of blind ignorance.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/man-smokes-ma ... ories.html

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26185
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm
One of my home boys just being another grain of sand in the machinery of blind ignorance.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/man-smokes-ma ... ories.html
:-|| 8-)

Brave dude. The pot may or may not be a big deal, but smoking inside a govt building is really really bad.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13056
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Brave dude.
Tongue-in-cheek, I know. But no, not brave, just stupid as a bag of rocks. Why do something with personal risk when there's no chance of the action advancing your cause. Unless you just want to start a "Tennessee Man" trend.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:29 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm
One of my home boys just being another grain of sand in the machinery of blind ignorance.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/man-smokes-ma ... ories.html
:-|| 8-)

Brave dude. The pot may or may not be a big deal, but smoking inside a govt building is really really bad.
I just liked the story; it reminded me of the time I was told by a cop to throw away my open can of beer into a nearby dumpster. On the way to it, I began to suffer "dry mouth" and took another swig from my can. That's when they arrested me. So I have a sense of empathy for the guy. But during all that, I was never charged with underage drinking; just possession of open beer in public, so there is that.......

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26185
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:10 am
I just liked the story; it reminded me of the time I was told by a cop to throw away my open can of beer into a nearby dumpster. On the way to it, I began to suffer "dry mouth" and took another swig from my can. That's when they arrested me. So I have a sense of empathy for the guy. But during all that, I was never charged with underage drinking; just possession of open beer in public, so there is that.......
It's kind of a The Mouse That Roared story :thumbup: .

Some friends and I once got wasted on tequila by a local creek. One made the short climb to the all-night restaurant parking lot before the rest of and unwittingly laid down on the hood of . . . an occupied cop car. After ensuring that we weren't driving, the cop let us go.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:03 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:10 am
I just liked the story; it reminded me of the time I was told by a cop to throw away my open can of beer into a nearby dumpster. On the way to it, I began to suffer "dry mouth" and took another swig from my can. That's when they arrested me. So I have a sense of empathy for the guy. But during all that, I was never charged with underage drinking; just possession of open beer in public, so there is that.......
It's kind of a The Mouse That Roared story :thumbup: .

Some friends and I once got wasted on tequila by a local creek. One made the short climb to the all-night restaurant parking lot before the rest of and unwittingly laid down on the hood of . . . an occupied cop car. After ensuring that we weren't driving, the cop let us go.
That cop must have been related to the cat fan pseudo cop; if he couldn't tell the difference between someone climbing up on his hood and lying down, or having a Porsche escort slamming into it and THEN having a guy get out and lie on his hood, he needs to be promoted to Captain and a desk job or run for some GOP public office. Anyway, glad you guys got away from that crazy bastard.

Post Reply