Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Traveling

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:52 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:09 pm
What many outofstaters don't realize is that California isn't just pretty bridges and overpaid tech geeks. It's always been chock-a-block with the descendants of redneck dust bowl refugees who have set up shop in the most God-forsaken corners of the state. Their sole purpose in life appears to be to torment the coasties with their complete lack of any sense of proportion.
Plus, many are surprised to learn that the HQs for some of our most extreme rightwing and Christian orgs are in "liberal" CA, mostly southern.
My only experience with California is from when I was in the Navy. I thought southern CA sucks (San Diego) but really liked Northern CA. My ship was ported in Concord, but in general the northern part of the state seemed to me to be like a different world from the southern part. But I guess one could say that about the US in general; the southern part is generally ten years behind the curve of the rest of the country. Like some sort of cognitive dissonance, or just abject ignorance. I consider myself lucky to have grown up in the south and be able to recognize it for what it is. I only wish I could somehow replace all the little statues of black guys in jockey shorts at the end of driveways down here with statues of trump with his head up his ass.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:44 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:56 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:06 pm
Barstow, CA is a desolate, sad place.
Barstow got an honorable mention in Hunter Thompson's book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas; A Savage Journey to the Heart of The American Dream." If I recall it went something like this; "We were somewhere around Barstow when the drugs began to take hold...."
Rolling Stone, November 11, 1971:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
A savage journey to the heart of the American dream

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like “I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive. …” And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about 100 miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: “Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?”

Then it was quiet again. My attorney had taken his shirt off and was pouring beer on his chest, to facilitate the tanning process. “What the hell are you yelling about?” he muttered, staring up at the sun with his eyes closed and covered with wraparound Spanish sunglasses. “Never mind,” I said. “It’s your turn to drive.” I hit the brakes and aimed the Great Red Shark toward the shoulder of the highway. No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough....

The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I knew we’d get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. Probably at the next gas station. We had sampled almost everything else, and now – yes, it was time for a long snort of ether. And then do the next 100 miles in a horrible, slobbering sort of spastic stupor. The only way to keep alert on ether is to do up a lot of amyls – not all at once, but steadily, just enough to maintain the focus at 90 miles an hour through Barstow....

Tuesday, 9:00 AM … Now, sitting in “Wild Bill’s Cafe” on the outskirts of Las Vegas, I saw it all very clearly. There is only one road to L.A. – US Interstate 15, a straight run with no exits, no alternate routes, just a flat-out high-speed burn through Baker and Barstow and Berdoo and then on the Hollywood Freeway straight into frantic oblivion: safety, obscurity, just another freak in the Freak Kingdom.

But in the meantime, for the next five or six hours, I’d be the most conspicuous thing on this goddamn evil road – the only fireapple-red shark convertible between Butte and Tijuana … blazing along this desert highway with a half-naked hillbilly mental case at the wheel. Is it better to wear my purple and green Acapulco shirt, or nothing at all?

No way to hide in this monster....
Idk, Barstow sounds kinda fun.
Ah, yes, it's all coming back to me now. I can remember heading to the Garden Basket where they sold Rolling Stone when it was a bifold paper that came out every two weeks. Always looked forward to Thompson's contributions. His analysis of the 72 election is what got me into politics. I can only imagine what he'd have to say about trump.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:55 pm

For reference of anybody coming out this way - Palm Springs is way nicer than Barstow. :D

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:15 pm

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:55 pm
For reference of anybody coming out this way - Palm Springs is way nicer than Barstow. :D
Hiking around nearby Idyllwild–Pine Cove is very nice.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:34 pm

One of the old Allman Brothers albums was titled "Idyllwild South."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:34 pm
Don't recall ever listening to it.
Idlewild South: Title

The album's title came from the band's nickname for a $165-a-month cabin it rented on a lake outside of Macon early in its days there, the busy comings and goings at which reminded them of New York City's Idlewild Airport.

Scott Boyer spoke on the cabin's history in the 2008 book Skydog: The Duane Allman Story:

It was like a hunting cabin. The back of the house had a porch that was built out over a manmade lake that was maybe five or six acres. It was a cabin made out of old pinewood, and it had been there for a long time. ... The Allman Brothers used it as a rehearsal facility — that and a place to go maybe to consume a little something that wasn't quite legal. There were parties out there."

Idlewild South was the home of rehearsals and parties, and was "where the brotherhood came to pass," according to roadie Kim Payne; "There was a pact made out there around a campfire—all for one and one for all. ... Everybody believed [in the band] 100 percent." According to Linda Oakley, spouse of bassist Oakley, the group held a New Year's Eve party going into 1970 where they, at midnight, joined together in a chorus of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken". "That was a pivotal moment, a testament of love," she said. Much of the material presented on the album originated at the cabin.
Cool.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 am

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:34 pm
Don't recall ever listening to it.
Idlewild South: Title

The album's title came from the band's nickname for a $165-a-month cabin it rented on a lake outside of Macon early in its days there, the busy comings and goings at which reminded them of New York City's Idlewild Airport.

Scott Boyer spoke on the cabin's history in the 2008 book Skydog: The Duane Allman Story:

It was like a hunting cabin. The back of the house had a porch that was built out over a manmade lake that was maybe five or six acres. It was a cabin made out of old pinewood, and it had been there for a long time. ... The Allman Brothers used it as a rehearsal facility — that and a place to go maybe to consume a little something that wasn't quite legal. There were parties out there."

Idlewild South was the home of rehearsals and parties, and was "where the brotherhood came to pass," according to roadie Kim Payne; "There was a pact made out there around a campfire—all for one and one for all. ... Everybody believed [in the band] 100 percent." According to Linda Oakley, spouse of bassist Oakley, the group held a New Year's Eve party going into 1970 where they, at midnight, joined together in a chorus of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken". "That was a pivotal moment, a testament of love," she said. Much of the material presented on the album originated at the cabin.
Cool.
Opps! I really had no idea why the name of the record was what it was; just the name of the CA park made me think of it. Idlewild South is the first appearance of the songs "Midnight RIder" and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:59 am

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 am
Opps! I really had no idea why the name of the record was what it was; just the name of the CA park made me think of it. Idlewild South is the first appearance of the songs "Midnight RIder" and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed."
Just interesting to me, 'twasn't intended to cause an "Opps!" I've partied in cabins like that, never became a famous musician. You have a great memory of 1960-70s stuff . . . which is incredible all things considered ;) 8-) .
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:59 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 am
Just interesting to me, 'twasn't intended to cause an "Opps!" I've partied in cabins like that, never became a famous musician. You have a great memory of 1960-70s stuff . . . which is incredible all things considered ;) 8-) .
Well, my memory isn't too bad but I happen to have that record and pulled it out in order to reference those two songs. I was pretty sure Midnight Rider was on it but wanted to make sure. And you're right; all things considered, my memory banks should only perform at maybe a 30% level. I figure I'm at about 85% though. Maybe I should have been part of a long term study or something. :D

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Gotta love California...

GoCubsGo
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:52 pm

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 pm
Gotta love California...

Do they ship UPS?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202 020303

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:19 pm

Good for them. And I can speak from experience that cannabis is much better than a can o bass.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Nope. They actually deliver - like a pizza. There's also a drive-through shop. :thumbup:
https://flowermarket.delivery/

GoCubsGo
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:29 pm

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:21 pm
Nope. They actually deliver - like a pizza. There's also a drive-through shop. :thumbup:
I guess weed is called flower now, who knew? Bummer they can't team up with Uber eats, gonna need some munchies after I get my flower power on. :happy-cheerleaderkid:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 pm

O Really wrote:
Back in the day a lot of convenience stores that sold beer had drive up windows here in TN and also in VA. Invariably, there were always black streaks on the side of the buildings where car bumpers would scrape along it; lots of bumpers back then had rubber strips all along the middle of the bumpers. Depending on whether the entrance drives required any sort of turn to align with the side of the building, there would be more or less black streaks. :crazy:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:25 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:29 pm
O Really wrote:
I guess weed is called flower now, who knew? Bummer they can't team up with Uber eats, gonna need some munchies after I get my flower power on. :happy-cheerleaderkid:
I've taken to calling it medicine even though there are no dosage suggestions that come with it. But more often than not, after treating myself I think "damn, this is good medicine." :thumbup:

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Back in the day a lot of convenience stores that sold beer had drive up windows here in TN and also in VA.
They had those in Florida, too, up until early 90's sometime. A lot of the liquor stores still have a drive-up window, or at least a visible place where it used to be. I'm guessing the ones that still have the window use it for the entertainment of the store staff, laughing at the less-than-sober guy waiting at the window.

GoCubsGo
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:45 pm

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Back in the day a lot of convenience stores that sold beer had drive up windows here in TN and also in VA.
They had those in Florida, too, up until early 90's sometime. A lot of the liquor stores still have a drive-up window, or at least a visible place where it used to be. I'm guessing the ones that still have the window use it for the entertainment of the store staff, laughing at the less-than-sober guy waiting at the window.
I went to college in Lakeland Florida, we had a place called the Kau Kau Koner. It was a drive through liquor store, entered on one side, told the guy what you wanted, he loaded your car, paid and drove out of the other side.

How did we survive?

Ulysses
Major

Unread post by Ulysses » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:02 pm

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Just remember, they're not laughing at you, they're laughing at you.

Ulysses
Major

Unread post by Ulysses » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:03 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:19 pm
Good for them. And I can speak from experience that cannabis is much better than a can o bass.
And even better than a can o corn.