Animals

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20480
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Animals

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:10 pm
Yeah, those boys are like the animal Gestapo. Or maybe the animal Waffen SS. :shock:
Black bears are everywhere. It's possible that "zoo or supervised habitat" is not an option. IF not, killing the habituated bear is all they could do. To me, the real murderers are the people that fed the bear.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 4116
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Animals

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:10 pm
Yeah, those boys are like the animal Gestapo. Or maybe the animal Waffen SS. :shock:
Black bears are everywhere. It's possible that "zoo or supervised habitat" is not an option. IF not, killing the habituated bear is all they could do. To me, the real murderers are the people that fed the bear.
Could be. The story didn't say if the bear was an orphan; only that it was a couple of years old. If it had been being fed by people for most of its life, seems to me the best thing would be to place it where it would continue to depend on that in a controlled setting. I suppose even being placed at the Cherokee NC bear prison would be better than just killing it, especially since they lowered the boom on Cherokee a few years ago to make conditions better. I did not consider human ignorance in the matter; only the FACT that it probably could have been sent to any one of a number of wildlife refuge facilities somewhere in this country. All it would require for that to happen would be an internet posting or a few phone calls. In general, life is better than death in most circumstances if all it takes is a little effort on someone's part. If it had been you and me on the call you would be the one to shoot the bear, not me.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20480
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Animals

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:26 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm
Could be. The story didn't say if the bear was an orphan; only that it was a couple of years old. If it had been being fed by people for most of its life, seems to me the best thing would be to place it where it would continue to depend on that in a controlled setting. I suppose even being placed at the Cherokee NC bear prison would be better than just killing it, especially since they lowered the boom on Cherokee a few years ago to make conditions better.

IF there's room. Then, what's the cost of shipment from OR to NC, and what other wildlife conservation could that money be spent on instead?

I did not consider human ignorance in the matter; only the FACT that it probably could have been sent to any one of a number of wildlife refuge facilities somewhere in this country.

Very few wildlife refuges are sufficiently separated from people for a problem bear.

All it would require for that to happen would be an internet posting or a few phone calls. In general, life is better than death in most circumstances if all it takes is a little effort on someone's part. If it had been you and me on the call you would be the one to shoot the bear, not me.

Depending on the realistic alternatives, sadly yes.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 4116
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Animals

Unread post by neoplacebo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 am

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:26 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm
Could be. The story didn't say if the bear was an orphan; only that it was a couple of years old. If it had been being fed by people for most of its life, seems to me the best thing would be to place it where it would continue to depend on that in a controlled setting. I suppose even being placed at the Cherokee NC bear prison would be better than just killing it, especially since they lowered the boom on Cherokee a few years ago to make conditions better.

IF there's room. Then, what's the cost of shipment from OR to NC, and what other wildlife conservation could that money be spent on instead?

I did not consider human ignorance in the matter; only the FACT that it probably could have been sent to any one of a number of wildlife refuge facilities somewhere in this country.

Very few wildlife refuges are sufficiently separated from people for a problem bear.

All it would require for that to happen would be an internet posting or a few phone calls. In general, life is better than death in most circumstances if all it takes is a little effort on someone's part. If it had been you and me on the call you would be the one to shoot the bear, not me.

Depending on the realistic alternatives, sadly yes.
Number 11 on this list of National Wildlife Refuge area in the state of WA (Little Pend Oreille), established in 1939 is 40,198 acres that are home to various large mammals; they mention bears specifically. Here's the list.
https://beautifulwashington.com/wa/wild ... fuges.html
Cost of transport of the cub I have every confidence would be paid by concerned citizens or even volunteer pilots such as happens regularly with floods and other emergency scenarios.....like Katrina or the Houston floods in which dogs were flown out en mass. I maintain the state made the wrong choice in this matter. Perhaps the bear was so acclimated to humans that it would not have survived on its own in any case but I feel that the animals genetic imprinting and inherent instinct should have been given a chance. It was only two or three years old and it's possible it would have made it on its own, relearned its natural survival abilities, and just went on living. I would not like to be the one to have decided against this. But that's just me.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20480
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Animals

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:07 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 am
Number 11 on this list of National Wildlife Refuge area in the state of WA (Little Pend Oreille), established in 1939 is 40,198 acres that are home to various large mammals; they mention bears specifically. Here's the list.
https://beautifulwashington.com/wa/wild ... fuges.html
Cost of transport of the cub I have every confidence would be paid by concerned citizens or even volunteer pilots such as happens regularly with floods and other emergency scenarios.....like Katrina or the Houston floods in which dogs were flown out en mass. I maintain the state made the wrong choice in this matter. Perhaps the bear was so acclimated to humans that it would not have survived on its own in any case but I feel that the animals genetic imprinting and inherent instinct should have been given a chance. It was only two or three years old and it's possible it would have made it on its own, relearned its natural survival abilities, and just went on living. I would not like to be the one to have decided against this. But that's just me.
It's actually Washington County in Oregon (weird, huh?) where Boo Boo was fed and killed, but our arguments remains the same either way.

Some bear behavior is innate but a lot is earned, often from its mother. I'm not sure how it would ever unlearn what had become a very successful feeding strategy.

40,198 acres sounds lie a lot, but it works out to about 63 square miles, roughly 10 miles by 6 miles.
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Little_Pend_Oreille/map.html
Thus, the farthest a bear could be placed from a refuge border is only 3 miles.
"An American black bear has better eyesight and a better sense of hearing compared to humans. Their keenest sense is their sense of smell, which is about seven times greater than a domestic dog's."
So, it would be able to smell humans upon release or soon would in the normal course of its foraging. The existing Little Pend Oreille bears already get in trouble:
https://www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147552715

Maybe a wilderness area would be larger, but they allow hunting. Selfie-taking Boo Boo wouldn't last through the first day of hunting season there or 10 feet outside of a refuge border.

If bears could be economically trained to avoid people, I might dispute the choice the experts made like you do, but I've never heard of it. They're like the fast food eaters we've been discussing - it makes no difference what's good for them.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 6464
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Animals

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm

A neighbor, 2 blocks further than we are from the water, has repeatedly said that we don't have bears. The husband actually said that my wife "made up" her encounter. He laughs at the bear horns we carry.
All this in spite of the county putting up signs warning about bears. They claim it's like UFO stories - until Friday. We could hear the shrieking and screaming from our yard. The whole neighborhood turned out to see what was going on.
Her dog had cornered a large bear in the front yard and she thought the dog was about to die in front of her (have I ever told of the demise of my beagle, Short Louis?).
The dog backed off and the bear ran away when people started coming out of houses all around.

She now carries a bear horn.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20480
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Animals

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm
A neighbor, 2 blocks further than we are from the water, has repeatedly said that we don't have bears. The husband actually said that my wife "made up" her encounter. He laughs at the bear horns we carry....
I suggest that your wife gift him some bear bells or spray.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20480
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Animals

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm
A neighbor, 2 blocks further than we are from the water, has repeatedly said that we don't have bears. The husband actually said that my wife "made up" her encounter. He laughs at the bear horns we carry....
I suggest that your wife gift him some bear bells or spray.
Maybe some signs, too.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm ... ZUAGa4ESoc
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
1 CAT FAN
Marshal
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: Animals

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 am

KRNV News 4 - A bear was spotted in the area of Heavenly Ski Resort California Lodge South Lake Tahoe Monday breaking into a vehicle - clever bear.
    "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 20480
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: Animals

    Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:52 am

    Giant snakes in the Florida Everglades: How scientists are using Burmese pythons as spies

    ... When males are discovered crossing a road or slithering along a canal dike, they are caught and taken to a Zoo Miami lab where veterinarian Frank Ridgely, donating his time and facilities, surgically inserts a radio transmitter.

    The pythons are released back into the wild to act as spies, hence their nickname "Judas snakes." During the December-through-April breeding season, the males lead researchers to the females.

    "The radio transmitter allows you to follow it wherever it goes," Josimovich said. "It emits a pulsating beep. We can go to our animal and potentially remove several other individuals" found in breeding populations called "breeding balls." ...
    This turns them into Rat Snakes. :wave:
    Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

    User avatar
    1 CAT FAN
    Marshal
    Posts: 993
    Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

    Re: Animals

    Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:30 am

    Image
      Justine Latton and her husband from Tasmania were on a road trip to Mt Field over the weekend when they came across the extraordinary scene.
        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nb09bqkDMQ
        "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

        User avatar
        Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster
        Posts: 20480
        Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
        Location: Hendersonvile, NC

        Re: Animals

        Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:25 pm

        Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

        User avatar
        Whack9
        Major
        Posts: 576
        Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:31 pm

        Re: Animals

        Unread post by Whack9 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:01 pm

        1 CAT FAN wrote:
        Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:30 am
        Image
          Justine Latton and her husband from Tasmania were on a road trip to Mt Field over the weekend when they came across the extraordinary scene.
            https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nb09bqkDMQ
            These would be good to have for those who are allergic to cats. You could release a handful in your crawl space or in your cupboards to keep the mice at bay. Zero maintenance, no vet bills, no nasty litter boxes to deal with. No allergies to contend with, no more mice, and best of all, a furry friend to surprise you with hugs late at night.

            Win win.

            User avatar
            1 CAT FAN
            Marshal
            Posts: 993
            Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

            Re: Animals

            Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:39 pm

            Dogs defeat Shark
              "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

              User avatar
              1 CAT FAN
              Marshal
              Posts: 993
              Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

              Re: Animals

              Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:47 pm

              Animals have rights too.
                "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

                User avatar
                O Really
                Captain
                Posts: 11338
                Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

                Re: Animals

                Unread post by O Really » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 pm

                Back in late 80's-early 90's there was a comedy night club close to where I lived and we went fairly often. Got to see some now-famous people before they got famous, while they were still stand-up comedians on the club circuit. Saw Jeff Foxworthy, Tim Allen and several others, including James Gregory. Gregory claimed he was the funniest person in America. Not even close. Not even the funniest guy in that club.

                User avatar
                1 CAT FAN
                Marshal
                Posts: 993
                Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

                Re: Animals

                Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:44 am

                O Really wrote:
                Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 pm
                Back in late 80's-early 90's there was a comedy night club close to where I lived and we went fairly often. Got to see some now-famous people before they got famous, while they were still stand-up comedians on the club circuit. Saw Jeff Foxworthy, Tim Allen and several others, including James Gregory. Gregory claimed he was the funniest person in America. Not even close. Not even the funniest guy in that club.
                Tim Allen - Animal Wrongs - PHART :lol:
                    Blue Collar TV Jeff Foxworthy & Jeff Dunham :lol:
                      "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

                      User avatar
                      Vrede too
                      Superstar Cultmaster
                      Posts: 20480
                      Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
                      Location: Hendersonvile, NC

                      Re: Animals

                      Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:39 pm

                      Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

                      User avatar
                      neoplacebo
                      Admiral of the Fleet
                      Posts: 4116
                      Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
                      Location: Kingsport TN

                      Re: Animals

                      Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:54 am


                      User avatar
                      Vrede too
                      Superstar Cultmaster
                      Posts: 20480
                      Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
                      Location: Hendersonvile, NC

                      Re: Animals

                      Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm



                      Beluga whale saves an iPhone!

                      Hvaldimir is not fully wild, but still . . .
                      Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

                      Post Reply