Impeachment

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
GoCubsGo
Sub-Lieutenant
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Impeachment

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:56 pm

So, how long can the dems make an inquiry into impeachment last? If I recall correctly, Nixon and Clinton were 18 months and two years.

Since there seem to be no more rules, could the strategy be up to start the inquiry, keep it in the headlines through the election? Since Trump will stone wall the entire process. The bad headlines could carry right up until November 2020.
Is this the strategy?
Thoughts?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202 020303

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20108
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:11 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:56 pm
So, how long can the dems make an inquiry into impeachment last? If I recall correctly, Nixon and Clinton were 18 months and two years.

Since there seem to be no more rules, could the strategy be up to start the inquiry, keep it in the headlines through the election? Since Trump will stone wall the entire process. The bad headlines could carry right up until November 2020.
Is this the strategy?
Thoughts?
I have no idea, but I'm guessing that the possibility of convincing/forcing him to resign is also part of the calculus. This is clearly the patriotic thing to do, I hope that it's also politically wise.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 11255
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by O Really » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm pretty sure the strategy is to keep the process going until the election. No way does it make sense to give it to the Senate for their "oh well, move along, nothing to see here..." response. I'd agree with that strategy. And yeah, Trump will undoubtedly help string out the process by stonewalling.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20108
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:09 pm

O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:48 pm
I'm pretty sure the strategy is to keep the process going until the election. No way does it make sense to give it to the Senate for their "oh well, move along, nothing to see here..." response. I'd agree with that strategy. And yeah, Trump will undoubtedly help string out the process by stonewalling.
Also part of the calculus probably is how the associated votes will affect the 2020 elections of mostly Repugs and a few Dems. This might be a reason to move things along fast enough that the Senate is forced to vote, idk.

There's no way to tell without a crystal ball what would have been lost or gained if the process had moved faster as many Dems were calling for. However, IF Pelosi was saying to them, 'Wait, he will do something even stupider,' she's a genius . . . or not, predicting that 45SHOLE will do something stupid is a pretty safe bet.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 11255
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by O Really » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:51 pm

The Speaker of the House is, despite Trump's bluster, a very powerful position. Fill it with somebody as ruthless and politically savvy/experienced as
P-Lo and it can be terrifying to be on the wrong side. She'll shred his sorry ass.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Sub-Lieutenant
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:45 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:09 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:48 pm
I'm pretty sure the strategy is to keep the process going until the election. No way does it make sense to give it to the Senate for their "oh well, move along, nothing to see here..." response. I'd agree with that strategy. And yeah, Trump will undoubtedly help string out the process by stonewalling.
Also part of the calculus probably is how the associated votes will affect the 2020 elections of mostly Repugs and a few Dems. This might be a reason to move things along fast enough that the Senate is forced to vote, idk.

There's no way to tell without a crystal ball what would have been lost or gained if the process had moved faster as many Dems were calling for. However, IF Pelosi was saying to them, 'Wait, he will do something even stupider,' she's a genius . . . or not, predicting that 45SHOLE will do something stupid is a pretty safe bet.
That, plus all the stupid that is yet to come....and there'll be plenty of it.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202 020303

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by neoplacebo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:24 am

Yep, the stupid is beginning to flow; he's already pronounced this "a witch hunt" (the old standby stupid) and "presidential harassment" (the newer but also well used stupid). No doubt there will be boatloads of stupid still to be offloaded.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20108
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:29 am

Another aspect is how all this will effect the Dem race for POTUS. One article's perspective, I'm sure there will be other impacts, both already predicted and surprises:

2020 Vision Tuesday: Three ways impeachment could reshape the Democratic primary
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:11 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:56 pm
...Thoughts?
I have no idea, but I'm guessing that the possibility of convincing/forcing him to resign is also part of the calculus. This is clearly the patriotic thing to do, I hope that it's also politically wise.
Anthony Scaramucci Makes A Bold Prediction About How It Ends For Trump
Anthony Scaramucci
@Scaramucci

He is gone. It’s only a matter of time now and negotiation. @realDonaldTrump is done.
The ScaraVrede Theory? :wave:
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20108
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:36 pm

Not signed, just sharing since it's out there:
Image

Petition to Speaker Pelosi and Committee Chairs Nadler, Cummings, Schiff, Waters, Neal and Engel:

"The creation of a formal impeachment inquiry is just a start. Commit to a November 15 deadline for a full House vote on articles of impeachment and ensure the inquiry's scope includes the full range of Trump’s impeachable offenses."
November 15 seems like it could be enough time to me, but they don't make the case why it should be the deadline. There will probably be others saying 'speed up' or 'slow down'.


I did sign this one, but I don't expect fast action now that 45SHOLE impeachment is active. It's more of a 'Fuck you' to Meadows (R-NC11).
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20108
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Breaking: The acting Director of National Intelligence threatened to resign over concerns that the White House might attempt to force him to stonewall Congress when he testifies Thursday about the whistleblower complaint.
WH accidentally sent Ukraine talking points to Democrats -- then tried to recall them

The White House accidentally emailed House Democrats a list of talking points Wednesday that were intended for Trump administration allies in response to the Ukraine scandal -- and then asked Democrats to send them back....
:lol:

I just watched part of 45SHOLE with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and checked out several news stations afterwards, but not Faux Noise. Zelensky avoided US politics, did not seem very comfortable or supportive and everyone seems to think it did not go well for 45SHOLE.

NO predictions, but this feels like a fast moving implosion. Is a resignation before the end of the year possible?

Does Biden get a sympathy bump among Dems from all of this?
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by PeacefulPartier » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:28 pm

LMAO...Wow! That fell on it's a$$ in a heartbeat.


If 2020 was a Friends episode, it'd be "The one where no one else had a chance."

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 6384
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:39 pm

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:28 pm
LMAO...Wow! That fell on it's a$$ in a heartbeat.


If 2020 was a Friends episode, it'd be "The one where no one else had a chance."


your reference to Friends destroys my guess that you are physically only 16 years old.
did you miss the punch line in Friends too?
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 20108
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Ut-oh, someone watches Faux Noise and even more embarrassing, swallows it. Poor thing.

Memo released today proves:
Treason.
Campaign felonies.

Impeach, convict, lock him up.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by PeacefulPartier » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 pm

So many people in denial. This is fun. The Ukrainian impeachment narrative is completely debunked. The President did not push, coerce or in any way attempt to intimidate Ukraine. He did ask for help/cooperation with an ongoing investigation that is being headed by AG Barr. That isn't a crime. That isn't even abnormal.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by neoplacebo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 pm

I still say the Senate will not convict trump even if there were video of him sodomizing a ten year old girl, or boy. That's how trump whipped they are.

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by PeacefulPartier » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 pm
I still say the Senate will not convict trump even if there were video of him sodomizing a ten year old girl, or boy. That's how trump whipped they are.
That's fair. After all, the Democrats had photographic evidence of one of their own sexually harassing a woman on a USO tour and they were able to look the other way. And they have one of their own dressed in black face and admitting to it, that was fine too. And they had one of their own as a Grand Pusomethingorother in the KKK and that was tolerable. So...

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by neoplacebo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:29 pm

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 pm
I still say the Senate will not convict trump even if there were video of him sodomizing a ten year old girl, or boy. That's how trump whipped they are.
That's fair. After all, the Democrats had photographic evidence of one of their own sexually harassing a woman on a USO tour and they were able to look the other way. And they have one of their own dressed in black face and admitting to it, that was fine too. And they had one of their own as a Grand Pusomethingorother in the KKK and that was tolerable. So...
Of course you're right. By the way, I'm not a Democrat; always registered Independent. I assume you're referring to Franken; he resigned his Senate seat over that issue very quickly, and who looked the other way? I don't remember that. Please elaborate. As for Northam, I consider he made a bad choice while a college student. What has any of that got to do with a 73 year old conman still being a con after all these years? You've been conned and you love it. Sad.

By the way, Franken never actually touched the woman asleep on the plane; he was a comedian (that I never thought was funny) and he was never someone who cheated on his wives and had to pay those women to keep their mouths shut. What else you got?

Also, Franken, nor any other Democrat I know of, bragged that he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any of his supporters. How does it feel to be conned so completely?

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by PeacefulPartier » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:58 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:29 pm
PeacefulPartier wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 pm
I still say the Senate will not convict trump even if there were video of him sodomizing a ten year old girl, or boy. That's how trump whipped they are.
That's fair. After all, the Democrats had photographic evidence of one of their own sexually harassing a woman on a USO tour and they were able to look the other way. And they have one of their own dressed in black face and admitting to it, that was fine too. And they had one of their own as a Grand Pusomethingorother in the KKK and that was tolerable. So...
Of course you're right. By the way, I'm not a Democrat; always registered Independent. I assume you're referring to Franken; he resigned his Senate seat over that issue very quickly, and who looked the other way? I don't remember that. Please elaborate. As for Northam, I consider he made a bad choice while a college student. What has any of that got to do with a 73 year old conman still being a con after all these years? You've been conned and you love it. Sad.

By the way, Franken never actually touched the woman asleep on the plane; he was a comedian (that I never thought was funny) and he was never someone who cheated on his wives and had to pay those women to keep their mouths shut. What else you got?

Also, Franken, nor any other Democrat I know of, bragged that he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any of his supporters. How does it feel to be conned so completely?
Franken took quite a while to quit. Strom Therman and Northam never quit.

My point was that saying there are loyalist on one side as if that is an insult to those voters is disingenuous because there are loyalists on both sides.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by neoplacebo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:20 pm

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:58 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:29 pm
PeacefulPartier wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 pm
I still say the Senate will not convict trump even if there were video of him sodomizing a ten year old girl, or boy. That's how trump whipped they are.
That's fair. After all, the Democrats had photographic evidence of one of their own sexually harassing a woman on a USO tour and they were able to look the other way. And they have one of their own dressed in black face and admitting to it, that was fine too. And they had one of their own as a Grand Pusomethingorother in the KKK and that was tolerable. So...
Of course you're right. By the way, I'm not a Democrat; always registered Independent. I assume you're referring to Franken; he resigned his Senate seat over that issue very quickly, and who looked the other way? I don't remember that. Please elaborate. As for Northam, I consider he made a bad choice while a college student. What has any of that got to do with a 73 year old conman still being a con after all these years? You've been conned and you love it. Sad.

By the way, Franken never actually touched the woman asleep on the plane; he was a comedian (that I never thought was funny) and he was never someone who cheated on his wives and had to pay those women to keep their mouths shut. What else you got?

Also, Franken, nor any other Democrat I know of, bragged that he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any of his supporters. How does it feel to be conned so completely?
Franken took quite a while to quit. Strom Therman and Northam never quit.

My point was that saying there are loyalist on one side as if that is an insult to those voters is disingenuous because there are loyalists on both sides.
Fari enough that there are loyalists on each side, but never could I imagine the number of GOP Senators and House members who choose to look the other way on blatant egregious behavior. Are you old enough to have watched the Watergate hearings? If not, go and view video of them; back then, members of Congress had morals and patriotism and ethics and those qualities stood above and apart from partisan bullshit.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 11255
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by O Really » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Hey PeacefulPartier - if it was shown that regardless of whatever else he did or didn't do, that Trump got a consensual blowjob from a 24-year old and said he didn't, would you consider that grounds for impeachment?

Post Reply