Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 5211
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:03 am

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:30 am
(Waa waa waa)
Only slaver/traitor lovers would be f@cking stupid enough to start and utterly lose street battles over pathetic participation trophies from a civil war they also got crushed in, instead of just holding bake sales, clearing the junk from in front of their trailers and putting their pathetic participation trophies on private land rather than sponging off we decent Americans.
911, what’s your emergency?
Someone moved my pathetic participation trophies. :cry: :cry: :cry:
FTFY.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 am
I use to feel the same way - it's just a goddamn historical statue.

I was wrong.

I still believe that the men themselves were "great men" in the general sense that we acknowledge a man as great, but that has nothing to do with why the statues were erected (Jim crow), or what a large percentage of our citizenry sees when they walk through these public spaces.

Put them in museums with descriptions of the men themselves and with additional descriptions of why the statues were erected and why they were taken down.

Statues come and go - remember all the fake fanfare when we pulled down Saddam's statue?
Or add statues/plaques/whatever to put into context the fact that no matter how great these men were as individuals, they acted in service to what was NOT a great and "Noble Cause". That's what the crybaby bigots are really terrified of, not "losing history" but rather it being related accurately for future generations of ALL colors.

I think you either misunderstand patriotism or are trying to inject 21th century understandings on 19th century people.


The South did secede largely because of slavery, but the War, from the North’s (invader) side, was much more about secession.

I can almost imagine the results of the poll question – do you support freeing all slaves? – probably wouldn’t have met with overwhelming support in New York or Chicago. And imagine that the results would have been even less if the question had included – if it means raising your taxes, or if it means your city will experience an influx of these black people and just imagine how low the polling would have been if the question included – if you or your sons had to fight and risk death.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:33 am

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:03 am
I think you either misunderstand patriotism or are trying to inject 21th century understandings on 19th century people.

The South did secede largely because of slavery, but the War, from the North’s (invader) side, was much more about secession.

I can almost imagine the results of the poll question – do you support freeing all slaves? – probably wouldn’t have met with overwhelming support in New York or Chicago. And imagine that the results would have been even less if the question had included – if it means raising your taxes, or if it means your city will experience an influx of these black people and just imagine how low the polling would have been if the question included – if you or your sons had to fight and risk death.
I agree, but how to depict the North is a whole different discussion. My post was only meant to be about removing or putting in context the "Noble Cause"/pro-Jim Crow intent of the slaver/traitor statues.

To pick just one example, Lincoln is portrayed as our greatest president, a wise man entirely forced by circumstances to fight a war that ended up freeing the slaves. I can't be quite so uncritically absolutist. To me, a great and wise president would have found some option other than 600K dead Americans and bitterness that stays with us to this day. Of course, this same exact criticism applies to the CSA he fought, maybe even more so since southerners ended up suffering more.

Fwiw, what Lincoln could have or should have done differently would be for a better historian than me to say, in case anyone was thinking of asking.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:57 pm

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... Sam#p78461
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:01 am
k9nanny wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 pm
Yo, O Really. Remember Silent Sam?
How could he forget? It got him extra credit in History, PoliSci and Art.
April 8, 1968

Silent Sam is splashed with paint and tagged with graffiti as demonstrations erupt around the country following the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. ...

Image
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:07 am
Of course, but as you know, Silent Sam has nothing to do with the Civil War. His job was to remain vigilant until a virgin walked past at which time he'd fire his gun. Thus the name "Silent." And since nobody wanted to hear a statue fire a gun, great effort was made to assure that no virgin came anywhere close. :lol:
Thank you both for your service and sacrifice making sure that there weren't any virgins on the UNC campus. :o :P
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:24 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:42 pm
If there were any, I could never find them. There was a rumor that one transferred in from Bob Jones, but that seems pretty improbable.
I heard about her, she transferred because she was pregnant.
k9nanny wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 pm
My brother reminded me of him. When I was in high school, we went to Chapel Hill every year for the one-act play competition.
Silent Sam turned the boys into giggling, foolish idiots.
k9nanny wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 pm
NC's monument law prohibits his removal without a special dispensation from above.

http://www.wral.com/barriers-placed-aro ... /16898155/
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:26 pm
rstrong wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:04 pm
*sigh*

Canadian sculptor. I guess we'll have to apologize for this one too.
It's gotta be tough to be a Canadian.
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 pm
Students want it moved, UNC wants it moved, it can be brought down or messed with as easy as a statue of Stalin or Saddam was - seems stupid not to just negotiate moving it to a more balanced site, museum or private land.
Agree or disagree with what happened, looks like I nailed the predictable consequences of being stupid.

Protesters knock down controversial "Silent Sam" Confederate statue at UNC campus

What a way to start the brand new school year!
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 5211
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:57 pm
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... Sam#p78461
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:01 am
k9nanny wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 pm
Yo, O Really. Remember Silent Sam?
How could he forget? It got him extra credit in History, PoliSci and Art.
April 8, 1968

Silent Sam is splashed with paint and tagged with graffiti as demonstrations erupt around the country following the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. ...

Image
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:07 am
Of course, but as you know, Silent Sam has nothing to do with the Civil War. His job was to remain vigilant until a virgin walked past at which time he'd fire his gun. Thus the name "Silent." And since nobody wanted to hear a statue fire a gun, great effort was made to assure that no virgin came anywhere close. :lol:
Thank you both for your service and sacrifice making sure that there weren't any virgins on the UNC campus. :o :P
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:24 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:42 pm
If there were any, I could never find them. There was a rumor that one transferred in from Bob Jones, but that seems pretty improbable.
I heard about her, she transferred because she was pregnant.
k9nanny wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 pm
My brother reminded me of him. When I was in high school, we went to Chapel Hill every year for the one-act play competition.
Silent Sam turned the boys into giggling, foolish idiots.
k9nanny wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 pm
NC's monument law prohibits his removal without a special dispensation from above.

http://www.wral.com/barriers-placed-aro ... /16898155/
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:26 pm
rstrong wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:04 pm
*sigh*

Canadian sculptor. I guess we'll have to apologize for this one too.
It's gotta be tough to be a Canadian.
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 pm
Students want it moved, UNC wants it moved, it can be brought down or messed with as easy as a statue of Stalin or Saddam was - seems stupid not to just negotiate moving it to a more balanced site, museum or private land.
Agree or disagree with what happened, looks like I nailed the predictable consequences of being stupid.

Protesters knock down controversial "Silent Sam" Confederate statue at UNC campus

What a way to start the brand new school year!



one small felony for a protestor, one giant leap for mankind
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 5211
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:33 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:03 am
I think you either misunderstand patriotism or are trying to inject 21th century understandings on 19th century people.

The South did secede largely because of slavery, but the War, from the North’s (invader) side, was much more about secession.

I can almost imagine the results of the poll question – do you support freeing all slaves? – probably wouldn’t have met with overwhelming support in New York or Chicago. And imagine that the results would have been even less if the question had included – if it means raising your taxes, or if it means your city will experience an influx of these black people and just imagine how low the polling would have been if the question included – if you or your sons had to fight and risk death.
I agree, but how to depict the North is a whole different discussion. My post was only meant to be about removing or putting in context the "Noble Cause"/pro-Jim Crow intent of the slaver/traitor statues.

To pick just one example, Lincoln is portrayed as our greatest president, a wise man entirely forced by circumstances to fight a war that ended up freeing the slaves. I can't be quite so uncritically absolutist. To me, a great and wise president would have found some option other than 600K dead Americans and bitterness that stays with us to this day. Of course, this same exact criticism applies to the CSA he fought, maybe even more so since southerners ended up suffering more.

Fwiw, what Lincoln could have or should have done differently would be for a better historian than me to say, in case anyone was thinking of asking.
I only just now realized that back when the South was building statues to their jim crow south and to the Cause, the north bas equally busy slapping Lincoln’s picture all over money for southern vets and children of confederate war dead to use.

Could be that this had somewhat of a chicken/egg feature a hundred years ago.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:49 pm

The North was hard on the South, but I think most civil war victors are more brutal.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:27 pm
one small felony for a protestor, one giant leap for mankind
Misdemeanors I'm pretty sure, plus they'd have to find a Chapel Hill jury that would convict. All charges were eventually dropped in Durham.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1555
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:04 pm

that supreme example of a particular kind of person with the extreme or excessive degree wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am
Only slaver/traitor lovers would be f@cking stupid enough to start and utterly lose street battles over pathetic participation trophies from a civil war they also got crushed in, instead of just holding bake sales, clearing the junk from in front of their trailers and putting their pathetic participation trophies on private land rather than sponging off we decent Americans.
"We" as in those of you who cry "I'm offended" when they see a civil war statue? If I recall, your ass and your mouthy ilk were too wussy to serve in the military, so the "trailer trash" with the junk in front of their homes that you look down upon, made up (or now make up) the largest portion of this nation's military; past and present. Most had no choice but to serve, and die, regardless of their political views.

I, for one, am proud of my country's heritage, though not necessarily the events that shaped our history. Men and women who served and fought in past wars paved the way for panty waists like yourself to cherish the freedom you have to piss and moan over every little thing that doesn't suit you.
that supreme example of a particular kind of person with the extreme or excessive degree wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am
911, what’s your emergency?
Someone moved my pathetic participation trophies. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Well, damn! If I were you, I'd call the pathetic participation trophy police again; maybe they'll feel sorry for you this time.

that supreme example of a particular kind of person with the extreme or excessive degree wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 am
I use to feel the same way - it's just a goddamn historical statue. I was wrong.
I still believe that the men themselves were "great men" in the general sense that we acknowledge a man as great, but that has nothing to do with why the statues were erected (Jim crow), or what a large percentage of our citizenry sees when they walk through these public spaces.
Put them in museums with descriptions of the men themselves and with additional descriptions of why the statues were erected and why they were taken down.
Or add statues/plaques/whatever to put into context the fact that no matter how great these men were as individuals, they acted in service to what was NOT a great and "Noble Cause". That's what the crybaby bigots are really terrified of, not "losing history" but rather it being related accurately for future generations of ALL colors.
Photo of "that supreme example of a particular kind of person with the extreme or excessive degree":
Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1555
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm

that supreme example of a particular kind of person with the extreme or excessive degree wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am

Exactly like Seth Milner and Mr.B.
Old white racists of a feather stick together.
Easy to see who you idolize; still obsessing over Seth Milner and Mr.B. and homerfobe. You apparently miss those guys big time.
In reality though you're admitting those three guys gave you a run for your money in the moron derby races. You hate the competition.
BTW, I wonder how many of the newbies here now is Mr.B? or Seth Miller? or homerfobe? You've accused all other new arrivals of mimicry while verifying how a couple of others aren't your playmates. How do you know, or how did you discover who is who? or isn't?

billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 5211
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm
that supreme example of a particular kind of person with the extreme or excessive degree wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am

Exactly like Seth Milner and Mr.B.
Old white racists of a feather stick together.
Easy to see who you idolize; still obsessing over Seth Milner and Mr.B. and homerfobe. You apparently miss those guys big time.
In reality though you're admitting those three guys gave you a run for your money in the moron derby races. You hate the competition.
BTW, I wonder how many of the newbies here now is Mr.B? or Seth Miller? or homerfobe? You've accused all other new arrivals of mimicry while verifying how a couple of others aren't your playmates. How do you know, or how did you discover who is who? or isn't?

how can they be missed when we have you
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1555
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:33 pm

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 pm
how can they be missed when we have you
I've wondered that myself. Hell, I'm trying my best to fill in the gaps they left open; but you guys keep crying over their absence.
That doesn't do a thing for my ego, ya know!
(except I'm not not going to get down right nasty or all religious on you)
I'm here to have fun; when the fun dies off, welll...

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:08 pm

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 pm
how can they be missed when we have you
:D

In reality, crybaby, I'm linking to when 'Schrödinger's Douchebag', like you, last arose here, giving rstrong credit for inventing or bringing the phrase here, and leaving him a quote notification for whenever he returns.

Most folks here do not think that you're Mr.B/Seth Milner/homerfobe and I accept their opinion though I remain less sure. It doesn't matter one way or the other. When relevant, I'm happy to say that you're an old white racist Douchebag like they are. I'm glad it upsets you, thanks. Will this make you feel better?

Image

As for the paranoia dripping from your last paragraph, all I have are my own reasoning skills and private or open conversations with others. Feel free to imagine the worst, whatever stupid thing that is, though.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1555
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:08 pm
I'm happy to say that you're an old white racist Douchebag
The only racist you know of is the word itself that lives in that little half-baked mind of yours.
I'm happy to say that you're a narcissistic, fat, white,(?) enema bag. (0pps! I used a Mr. B. word! :shock: ) :lol: :lol:

(you really ought to have your couch and carpet cleaned; they look rather, ummm, dirty.)

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:04 pm

TRUTH IS OUT THERE
UFO Lobby Thrilled by House Candidate Who Says She Was Abducted by Aliens
If elected to Congress, Bettina Rodriguez Aguilera would be the first House member to have claimed that she was abducted by aliens.


... That possibility has given immense pleasure to one of Washington D.C.’s most peculiar lobbying shops: the Paradigm Research Group, which advocates for discussing and unveiling “facts surrounding an extraterrestrial presence engaging the human race.”

“This is a milestone,” Stephen Bassett, executive director of the group, said of Aguilera’s candidacy. “If she were to win the election, she would be the first open contactee to serve in Congress.”

There have been closeted ones?

Aguilera, a Republican, is running in Florida’s 27th Congressional District, a Miami-area seat being vacated by Republican Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. She is not a fringe figure. The Miami Herald endorsed her candidacy recently. But even in doing so, they acknowledged she is a bit “unusual.” ...

If I was there I would consider voting for her.
I guess the GOP "tent" really is bigger.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 am

Ted Kennedy and John McCain both died of brain cancer on August 25.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1555
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:25 am

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 am
Ted Kennedy and John McCain both died of brain cancer on August 25.
Can't blame that on something that's in the water.
(well, you might could in Kennedy's case)

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:32 pm

It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Leo Lyons
Ensign
Posts: 1555
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:32 pm
Warren releases DNA test showing 'strong evidence' of Native American ancestry

Dispute resolved, and she had NEVER claimed any benefits, anyhow.
Trump responds: "Who cares?" :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:21 pm

"'I will give you a million dollars to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian,' Trump said."

No one is holding their breath. The sleazy welcher never paid off his :lol: :lol: :lol: birfer :lol: :lol: :lol: challenge.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Ensign
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:21 pm
"'I will give you a million dollars to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian,' Trump said."

No one is holding their breath. The sleazy welcher never paid off his :lol: :lol: :lol: birfer :lol: :lol: :lol: challenge.
Indian giver welcher!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

Whack9
Pilot Officer
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Whack9 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 am

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:21 pm
"'I will give you a million dollars to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian,' Trump said."

No one is holding their breath. The sleazy welcher never paid off his :lol: :lol: :lol: birfer :lol: :lol: :lol: challenge.
Trump never grew out of the spoiled grade-school kid stage of life.

He's always whining about being treated unfairly, always lies about nearly everything, and never owns up to anything he does like a man.

A real tough guy indeed.

Post Reply