The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
1 CAT FAN
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Distribution will be just fine.
Again, thanks for the concern.
"Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:36 pm

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:37 pm
There's a reason stuff is made in China, and tariffs aren't going to incent anybody to start producing bibles in the US. But I doubt a few dollars in additional cost is really going to "hurt the evangelism efforts..." Maybe instead of giving away whole bibles, they can give away American product Cliff's Notes, or better still give away a link to the dozens of places to view/download a bible for free.
Chinese made Bibles have subtle malware inserted. People think it's traditional xtian fare, but they're really becoming taoists.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Do the Gideons still put Bibles in motel rooms? And if so, why?

1 CAT FAN
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:48 pm

Marriott - World’s Largest Hotel Chain to Place Bibles in Hundreds of Thousands of Roomshttps://www.faithwire.com/2018/08/27/wo ... -of-rooms/
"Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:59 pm
Doorstops since so many now have those spring loaded doors that close automatically. The extra weight can stop an AC from rattling, too. They're also handy if the maid forgot to leave an extra TP roll. I love the Gideons.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:08 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Doorstops since so many now have those spring loaded doors that close automatically. The extra weight can stop an AC from rattling, too. They're also handy if the maid forgot to leave an extra TP roll. I love the Gideons.
They can also be used to level an unsteady table or dresser by opening to the correct passage that affords the proper thickness to correct the imbalance caused by the legs. Depending on how severe the furniture leg differential is, one may end up well into the New Testament. However, if you find that you're having to go as far as Revelation, you may as well call room service for a saw or a new table. And if your hotel is constructed with one of those open atriums that all rooms look out upon, they can be hurled down toward your enemies or just random targets.

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
At a previous residence about 3/4 of a mile from the Gulf Breeze zoo , I could hear the Gibbons howling every morning - kinda like living in a Tarzan movie

There's another group of howlers who assault people outside of McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola - not a Tarzan movie

Same, but different
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Here's a good one; I feel it belongs in this religion thread. Lots of people are figuring on storming the secret Area 51 site to find out just what's going on there.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hundred ... 11786.html

I feel this is a momentous occasion and that Bob Dylan should rewrite the old Highway 61 song in honor of it, like this:
God said to Abraham "kill me a son."
Abe said "man, you must be puttin' me on."
God said "no."
Abe said "what?"
God said "you can do what you want Abe, but the next time you see me comin' you better run."
Well, Abe said "where you want this killin' done?"
God said "out at Area 51."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:58 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 pm
Here's a good one; I feel it belongs in this religion thread. Lots of people are figuring on storming the secret Area 51 site to find out just what's going on there.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hundred ... 11786.html ...
:lol: If I was in the area I would so be there, in costume. Not that I think there's anything to see or that we'd get close enough to see it if there was, but what a hoot it will be!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:58 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hundred ... 11786.html ...
:lol: If I was in the area I would so be there, in costume. Not that I think there's anything to see or that we'd get close enough to see it if there was, but what a hoot it will be!
Yeah, it might be a once in a lifetime sort of gig. The only down side is that I think there are posted signs around there that allude to the use of deadly force being authorized against trespassers. So it's like I mentioned......"where you want this killin' done?" God said "out at Area 51."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 pm
Yeah, it might be a once in a lifetime sort of gig. The only down side is that I think there are posted signs around there that allude to the use of deadly force being authorized against trespassers. So it's like I mentioned......"where you want this killin' done?" God said "out at Area 51."
They never deterred us at the nearby Nevada Test Site and none of us got killed.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 pm
They never deterred us at the nearby Nevada Test Site and none of us got killed.
Never been there but remember flying over the White Sands Missile Range and seeing a lot of nothing. I once read a book about Area 51 years ago and it was describing how the people that worked there were bused in each day and how tight the security procedures were there. I think somebody should put in a McDonald's or Burger King at the place.....maybe some kind of swinging alien nightspot as well.
Edit' White Sands is in New Mexico instead of Nevada.