The homophobic thread :>

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: The homophobic thread :>

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:01 pm

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm
Hello, Leo - we missed your cheery ebullience.
Thanks; I've been doing a bit of traveling around getting to know the local environs. Good to hear from you too; hope all is well with you and yours.

Did you notice that one list had people, and one had only inanimate objects? Does that make a difference? Anyway, yes, you do have every right to be prejudiced, racist, homophobic if you like - nobody says you don't.
That was the point of my post. There are people in both lists. You can 'dislike' (emphasis here) almost any thing or anybody you want, for any reason; but if that person is different; say in their lifestyle or personal mannerisms, then you get labeled as a "prejudiced, racist, homophobic" bigot.

There's a vast difference in hate and dislike, but too many are eager to jump on the bandwagon to accuse without really realizing there's a difference.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Yes, I agree. There is quite a leap between dislike and hate. For example, I don't dislike money but I must hate it because if I have it I have to get rid of it. But sometimes there's no discernable difference between dislike and hate. For example, I dislike sweet pickles, okra, kale, things that rattle or don't work right....but I can just as easily hate those things as dislike them. In fact, I'm sure of it; I hate those things.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Y'know, that's a pretty decent defense for a lesser sentence, isn't it? "Well, judge, I did kick the little faggot's ass, but it was only a dislike crime."

There may be a difference in hate and dislike in general use, but not if that emotion results in discrimination or violence. If you're refusing to serve me because I'm gay/black/hispanic/trans, then it's some pretty strong "dislike."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:52 pm

I dislike cauliflower. If I was trying to get cauliflower banned for everyone I would call myself a cauliflower hater.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:29 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 pm
Yes, I agree. There is quite a leap between dislike and hate. For example, I don't dislike money but I must hate it because if I have it I have to get rid of it. But sometimes there's no discernable difference between dislike and hate. For example, I dislike sweet pickles, okra, kale, things that rattle or don't work right....but I can just as easily hate those things as dislike them. In fact, I'm sure of it; I hate those things.
:lol: :lol:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:06 pm
Now, I also don't like:
Homosexuality, transgenders, men who dress like women, women who dress like men, drug & narcotic users/dealers, snotty kids, snotty adults, shoppers of Walmart examples, rednecks, holier-than-thous, to name a few.
O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:48 pm
There may be a difference in hate and dislike in general use, but not if that emotion results in discrimination or violence. If you're refusing to serve me because I'm gay/black/hispanic/trans, then it's some pretty strong "dislike."
I should have clarified; it's not the individuals I dislike; but because I dislike homosexuality, doesn't make me bigoted or intolerant.
It's something I don't want for myself, much like not wanting Miracle Whip on my sandwich. That's it; a simple dislike. Does that earn me a label?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:52 pm
I dislike cauliflower. If I was trying to get cauliflower banned for everyone I would call myself a cauliflower hater.
I'd call you a commie! :toothy: