Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
GoCubsGo
Commander
Posts: 3586
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:37 pm
Fucking Indiana assholes, I hope they rot in jail, but because it's fucking Indiana they probably won't....
We'll see, few like lynchings or idiots and Monroe County is blue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_Co ... a#Politics
Probably because of the university.
Lock them up!
I emailed the DA at the address provided. Fingers crossed.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 pm
I emailed the DA at the address provided. Fingers crossed.
:thumbup:
To: eoliphant@co.monroe.in.us
Subject: Attempted lynching

Dear Monroe County Prosecutor Erika Oliphant,

Re:
Video shows Black man pinned to tree in what he calls 'attempted lynching' at Indiana lake
https://news.yahoo.com/video-shows-blac ... 44516.html

Please swiftly act to bring these individuals to justice.

Thank you,
(Vrede too)
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

12 Common Words And Phrases With Racist Origins Or Connotations
Some seemingly innocuous terms in the English language have racist or otherwise problematic histories.


... 1. “Peanut Gallery” ...
2. “Grandfathered In” or “Grandfather Clause” ...
3. “Gyp,” “Gypped,” “Jip” and “Jipped” ...
4. “Uppity” ...
5. “Articulate” ...
6. “Spirit Animal” ...
7. “Paddy Wagon” ...
8. “Long Time No See” and “No Can Do” ...
9. “Sold Down The River” ...
10. “Blacklist,” “Blackball,” “Black Mark,” and on and on....
11. “Off The Reservation” ...
12. “Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Moe” ...
6 Things White People Say That Highlight Their Privilege
If you want to be an ally in the fight against racism, start by acknowledging your white privilege. Then take action that supports the Black community.


... 1. “It’s not my job to fix racism because I’m not racist.” ...
2. “I don’t see color.” ...
3. “There’s no need to worry about the police if you’re not doing anything illegal.” ...
4. “I don’t want to post about racism on social media because I’m scared of the backlash.” ...
5. “I don’t have white privilege.” ...
6. “I’m not sure when I should start talking to my kids about racism.” ...
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6121
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I remember seeing a sign on Catalina Island that said "No having fun in Avalon" but this is worse.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

US Supreme Court rules half of Oklahoma is Native American land

The US Supreme Court has ruled about half of Oklahoma belongs to Native Americans, in a landmark case that also quashed a child rape conviction.

The justices decided 5-4 that an eastern chunk of the state, including its second-biggest city, Tulsa, should be recognised as part of a reservation.

Jimcy McGirt, who was convicted in 1997 of raping a girl, brought the case.

He cited the historical claim of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation to the land where the assault occurred.

What does the ruling mean?

Thursday's decision in McGirt v Oklahoma is seen as one of the most far-reaching cases for Native Americans before the highest US court in decades.

The ruling means some tribe members found guilty in state courts for offences committed on the land at issue can now challenge their convictions.

Image

Only federal prosecutors will have the power to criminally prosecute Native Americans accused of crimes in the area.

Tribe members who live within the boundaries may also be exempt from state taxes, according to Reuters news agency.

Some 1.8 million people - of whom about 15% are Native American - live on the land, which spans three million acres.

What did the justices say?

Justice Neil Gorsuch, a conservative appointed by US President Donald Trump, sided with the court's four liberals and also wrote the opinion.

He referred to the Trail of Tears, the forcible 19th Century relocation of Native Americans, including the Creek Nation, to Oklahoma.

The US government said at the time that the new land would belong to the tribes in perpetuity.

Justice Gorsuch wrote: "Today we are asked whether the land these treaties promised remains an Indian reservation for purposes of federal criminal law....

Jonodev Chaudhuri, a former chief justice of the Muscogee Nation's Supreme Court, dismissed talk of legal mayhem.

He told the Tulsa World newspaper: "All the sky-is-falling narratives were dubious at best.

"This would only apply to a small subset of Native Americans committing crimes within the boundaries."

How did other tribal leaders react?

In a joint statement, the Five Tribes of Oklahoma - Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw and Seminole and Muscogee Nation - welcomed the ruling.

They pledged to work with federal and state authorities to agree shared jurisdiction over the land.

"The Nations and the state are committed to implementing a framework of shared jurisdiction that will preserve sovereign interests and rights to self-government while affirming jurisdictional understandings, procedures, laws and regulations that support public safety, our economy and private property rights," the statement said.

"Because Congress has not said otherwise, we hold the government to its word."
:o Wow, this will keep the courts busy for a long time. Good. Can the Indians make non-Indians pay taxes or rent?
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13082
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:57 am

:o Wow, this will keep the courts busy for a long time. Good. Can the Indians make non-Indians pay taxes or rent?
Probably not, because the Tribes have no jurisdiction over non-Indians, and the Tribes don't actually own the land - it's just a limited jurisdictional determination.

Here's an example:

https://www.racinelaw.net/blog/authorit ... on-indian/

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:19 am
Probably not, because the Tribes have no jurisdiction over non-Indians, and the Tribes don't actually own the land - it's just a limited jurisdictional determination.

Here's an example:

https://www.racinelaw.net/blog/authorit ... on-indian/
Thanks. Even if limited I'll bet there will many other complications.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

I love seeing this type of article in the right-wing Moonie Times.
'Black Lives Matter' mural painted outside Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue in New York City

Image
Mayor Bill de Blasio, third from left, participates in painting Black Lives Matter on Fifth Avenue in front of Trump Tower, Thursday, July 9, 2020, in New York. The mayor's wife, Chirlane McCray, is fourth from left and Rev. Al Sharpton is second from left. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

...
Image
(Irish Times pic and article)
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:28 am
O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:19 am
Probably not, because the Tribes have no jurisdiction over non-Indians, and the Tribes don't actually own the land - it's just a limited jurisdictional determination.

Here's an example:

https://www.racinelaw.net/blog/authorit ... on-indian/
Thanks. Even if limited I'll bet there will many other complications.
For example:

Supreme Court Ruling on Oklahoma Tribal Land Raises Questions for Oil Industry
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:54 pm
Mississippi lawmakers vote to remove rebel emblem from flag

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

We'll have to wait for the atheists' victory in the next Civil War to deal with that “In God We Trust" thing.
Maybe we won't have to wait:

Satanic Temple threatens lawsuit over Mississippi’s ‘in God we trust’ flag plan

:twisted: :thumbup:
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13082
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really »

Maybe Mississippi should just lease rights to this flag:

Image

User avatar
Whack9
Ensign
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:00 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:54 pm
Mississippi lawmakers vote to remove rebel emblem from flag

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

We'll have to wait for the atheists' victory in the next Civil War to deal with that “In God We Trust" thing.
Maybe we won't have to wait:

Satanic Temple threatens lawsuit over Mississippi’s ‘in God we trust’ flag plan

:twisted: :thumbup:
Maybe it'll be like that South Park episode where someone points out the flag is racist and they try to get it changed:

https://southpark.cc.com/clips/152149/racist-flag
Fuck 2019 2020

Ezekiel 23:20

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Maybe it'll be like that South Park episode where someone points out the flag is racist and they try to get it changed:

https://southpark.cc.com/clips/152149/racist-flag
People are just too sensitive.


neoplacebo's hood:

Woman fired for yelling 'white lives are better' at Black Lives Matter protesters (with video)
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26260
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6121
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:46 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Maybe it'll be like that South Park episode where someone points out the flag is racist and they try to get it changed:

https://southpark.cc.com/clips/152149/racist-flag
People are just too sensitive.


neoplacebo's hood:

Woman fired for yelling 'white lives are better' at Black Lives Matter protesters (with video)
:oops: I saw that story and almost posted it but was ashamed. As another example of how simple minded and downright willfully ignorant a lot of these locals around here are, my neighbor (he's mid 60's and looks like an old hippie) was telling me the other day that "Nancy Pelosi wants to get rid of the American flag." I asked him who told him that or where he got that and he could not give an answer......I told him that this is not true but I could tell he still believes it. The next day I happened to see a political ad for some GOP nutjob running for Congress and in his ad he says "we'll tell Nancy Pelosi that we still salute the flag, we celebrate Easter and Christmas, and we always will." So my neightbor sees this fool's ad and evidently thinks that because this nutjob says he (we) "still salute the flag, etc." neighbor makes the leap that since this moron advocates the flag, Easter, and Christmas, and feels the need to tell Pelosi this, it means Pelosi is against all those things. This kind of explains how about 40% of voters still support trump and the cult of lies and ignorance. I swear if Canada were on the southern border, I'd be there.

User avatar
Whack9
Ensign
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Whack9 »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:19 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:46 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Maybe it'll be like that South Park episode where someone points out the flag is racist and they try to get it changed:

https://southpark.cc.com/clips/152149/racist-flag
People are just too sensitive.


neoplacebo's hood:

Woman fired for yelling 'white lives are better' at Black Lives Matter protesters (with video)
:oops: I saw that story and almost posted it but was ashamed. As another example of how simple minded and downright willfully ignorant a lot of these locals around here are, my neighbor (he's mid 60's and looks like an old hippie) was telling me the other day that "Nancy Pelosi wants to get rid of the American flag." I asked him who told him that or where he got that and he could not give an answer......I told him that this is not true but I could tell he still believes it. The next day I happened to see a political ad for some GOP nutjob running for Congress and in his ad he says "we'll tell Nancy Pelosi that we still salute the flag, we celebrate Easter and Christmas, and we always will." So my neightbor sees this fool's ad and evidently thinks that because this nutjob says he (we) "still salute the flag, etc." neighbor makes the leap that since this moron advocates the flag, Easter, and Christmas, and feels the need to tell Pelosi this, it means Pelosi is against all those things. This kind of explains how about 40% of voters still support trump and the cult of lies and ignorance. I swear if Canada were on the southern border, I'd be there.
Listened in on a convo between some friends of friends the other day. From what I gather, these people are deep in the cult. Anyway, the conversation inevitably coalesced into one about face masks. Lot of anger ensued.

To summarize:

"Face masks don't do shit. Wear a surgical face mask and sand drywall. You'll have dust all over your face. Virus particles are way small than drywall dust."

Ignoring the fact that virus particles hitch rides on moisture droplets emitted when speaking/breathing, which the face masks catch. Also ignoring the fact that surgeons wear masks when doing their thang.

"I'm not getting the vaccine when it comes out. It's a ploy to microchip us".

No comment necessary.

Lastly - the coin shortage is a plot to get us ready for a cashless society. NWO or some shit. So they can track every penny we spend.
Fuck 2019 2020

Ezekiel 23:20

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13082
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:19 am
I swear if Canada were on the southern border, I'd be there.
Average January high in Victoria BC is 47, average low is 40.
Average January high in Kingsport TN is 46, average low is 27.

And Victoria is close to the southern border (of Canada)

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 6121
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:19 am
I swear if Canada were on the southern border, I'd be there.
Average January high in Victoria BC is 47, average low is 40.
Average January high in Kingsport TN is 46, average low is 27.

And Victoria is close to the southern border (of Canada)
Interesting. That's not so bad as far as "average" temperature goes for January. Maybe I need to reconsider.

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13082
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:18 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:19 am
I swear if Canada were on the southern border, I'd be there.
Average January high in Victoria BC is 47, average low is 40.
Average January high in Kingsport TN is 46, average low is 27.

And Victoria is close to the southern border (of Canada)
Interesting. That's not so bad as far as "average" temperature goes for January. Maybe I need to reconsider.
Temps aren't bad, and there's only 7 snow days on average, without much accumulation. But it does rain a lot in winter. A lot. And summers are pleasant, but not really hot. 70's is a good summer day.

Post Reply