Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 10071
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm

With Republicans, racism isn't a bug, it's a feature. They'd take pointing it out as a compliment.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 16576
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 am

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm
With Republicans, racism isn't a bug, it's a feature. They'd take pointing it out as a compliment.
:D If the message received is merely, "You are in the party of racist pigs and we both know it," I'm okay with that, too.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 10071
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 am

Sure, but that's like telling Melissa McCarthy that she's fat. She is - but she makes a good living off it, has incentive to stay fat, and has no reason to change.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 16576
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 am

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 am
Sure, but that's like telling Melissa McCarthy that she's fat. She is - but she makes a good living off it, has incentive to stay fat, and has no reason to change.
I find my message to be personally satisfying, that one would not be. Anyhow:
Since the start of the Mike & Molly series, McCarthy has lost an estimated 75 lb (35 kg).
:P

Image

I really noticed when "Sean Spicer" was Sean Spicer size rather than Melissa McCarthy size.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 10071
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 am

I stand partially corrected. Actually the fat actress I was thinking about was Chrissy Metz, who is apparently losing or at least temporarily misplacing some weight on the show but is still basically paid to be fat.

Image

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 16576
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:36 am

We have found the cure for racism - an NFL salary and community property law.

Jennifer Roth's alleged racial tweets resurface after her engagement to NFL player Charles Leno Jr.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 16576
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:03 pm

White male privilege: When America elects an unprecedented number of women and minorities, close the government and blame Latinos.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 16576
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Image

Petition to the House of Representatives:

"In the face of Steve King's racism, half measures are not enough. Censure him now, then vote to expel him from the House."
Not signed. I'm fine with King representing Repugs in Congress and Repug voters. :twisted:
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.


User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 2930
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:42 pm

The term probably originated as a name for British subjects who chose to stay in India way back when and maybe also to French citizens who chose to stay in Vietnam after 1954. The term implies that the person no longer has any patriotic duty or identity with his home country, particularly when those Brits or French married an indigenous person. Most immigrants and refugees don't do so. Immigrants or refugees may or may not still have an affinity or identity with their home country. Also, the expat term originally applied to professionals, writers, and artists (not the average person on the street). I think it's a leap to consider the word a racist term.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Ensign
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Proud to be 'Merican

MAGA-Hatted Teens Harass Native Americans at the Indigenous Peoples March in D.C.

Kentucky inbreeding is a dangerous thing.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 2930
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:17 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:14 pm
Proud to be 'Merican

MAGA-Hatted Teens Harass Native Americans at the Indigenous Peoples March in D.C.

Kentucky inbreeding is a dangerous thing.
When you add to that the fact that Catholics supposedly don't believe in birth control, and there you have it.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 16576
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:14 pm
Proud to be 'Merican

MAGA-Hatted Teens Harass Native Americans at the Indigenous Peoples March in D.C.

Kentucky inbreeding is a dangerous thing.
When you add to that the fact that Catholics supposedly don't believe in birth control, and there you have it.
Parents, 97% white Park Hills, KY, school, Catholic church, teachers, chaperones, peers and lifelong racist POTUS all contributed. No surprise that this happens when they are at a misogynist march. Bigotry breeds more bigotry.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 16576
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:29 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:42 pm
The term probably originated as a name for British subjects who chose to stay in India way back when and maybe also to French citizens who chose to stay in Vietnam after 1954. The term implies that the person no longer has any patriotic duty or identity with his home country, particularly when those Brits or French married an indigenous person. Most immigrants and refugees don't do so. Immigrants or refugees may or may not still have an affinity or identity with their home country. Also, the expat term originally applied to professionals, writers, and artists (not the average person on the street). I think it's a leap to consider the word a racist term.
I'm not sure I have enough experience with the usage to have an opinion. The article makes the claim that non-white Americans with similar professional situation and status don't get called ex-pats.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 10071
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:04 pm

The term most certainly doesn't apply to "just white people." It is typically used for a person who chooses to live in another country with no intent to live there permanently or to seek citizenship. An immigrant is any person coming to a country with the (general) intent to live there permanently. An emmigrant is a person leaving a country with no particular intent to return. It may very well be that more white people than not have jobs that take them to other countries, or snowbird in another country or live for a couple of years in another country for school, adventure, whatever, but it is not a racist term.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 16576
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 pm

I think the author is talking about how it's used irl, not how it's defined.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 2930
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 pm

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:04 pm
The term most certainly doesn't apply to "just white people." It is typically used for a person who chooses to live in another country with no intent to live there permanently or to seek citizenship. An immigrant is any person coming to a country with the (general) intent to live there permanently. An emmigrant is a person leaving a country with no particular intent to return. It may very well be that more white people than not have jobs that take them to other countries, or snowbird in another country or live for a couple of years in another country for school, adventure, whatever, but it is not a racist term.
As far as I know, the Cuban community in Miami is commonly referred to as expats.
Last edited by neoplacebo on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Ensign
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:14 pm
Proud to be 'Merican

MAGA-Hatted Teens Harass Native Americans at the Indigenous Peoples March in D.C.

Kentucky inbreeding is a dangerous thing.
When you add to that the fact that Catholics supposedly don't believe in birth control, and there you have it.
Parents, 97% white Park Hills, KY, school, Catholic church, teachers, chaperones, peers and lifelong racist POTUS all contributed. No surprise that this happens when they are at a misogynist march. Bigotry breeds more bigotry.

I think the archdiocese for Kentucky is Louisville. Be interested to see if they step up.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 10071
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:42 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 pm
I think the author is talking about how it's used irl, not how it's defined.
Agreed, but it's usage still doesn't make a racial distinction except as may result just from there being more white people in the group. If you look for something like "best countries to retire in" for example, you'll get comments like, "Spain is an expats paradise" or "there's a large expat community in Cabo San Lucas" etc.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 16576
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:44 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 pm
I think the archdiocese for Kentucky is Louisville. Be interested to see if they step up.
Weird, that's not the Yahoo! article that I saw and linked. The one I read looked more like this one and included:
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

Post Reply