The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:19 am

Cleveland County (NC) man, 33, fatally shoots himself while in custody in Polk County (NC)

A 33-year-old Cleveland County man in police custody died by suicide early Sunday after shooting himself with a gun officers didn't realize he'd had following a traffic arrest.

Camden Owen McWhirter, 33, was arrested by Polk County sheriff's deputies Sunday for suspicion of driving while impaired off Big Level Road. Upon being transferred to the Polk County Law Enforcement Center, McWhirter told deputies he had a weapon, Polk County Sheriff Tim Wright said Monday.

Wright said that while entering a secured lot about 5 a.m. at the detention center, McWhirter revealed he had a gun. McWhirter reportedly was asked turn over the weapon to law enforcement, leading to a standoff involving the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation as well as the Henderson County Sheriff’s Office and the Columbus Police Department, among others.

Officials attempted to negotiate with McWhirter and resolve the incident for "several hours," but he ultimately turned the gun on himself.

The SBI is conducting an independent investigation of the situation, Wright said.
Not searched or cuffed? :headscratch:
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 9875
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by O Really » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 am

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:19 am

Not searched or cuffed? :headscratch:
I'm guessing he was a white guy? Can't see the cops not cuffing/searching a black guy, nor "negotiating for several hours" before shooting him themselves.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:03 am

O Really wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 am
I'm guessing he was a white guy? Can't see the cops not cuffing/searching a black guy, nor "negotiating for several hours" before shooting him themselves.
They were hoping to avoid cleaning up the mess in their patrol car. :D

Anyhow, you are correct, and this is not his 1st nor even his 2nd rodeo in just the last year and a half, which makes it even more outrageous that he wasn't searched or cuffed.
Man involved in standoff appears in court

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:58 AM

... Camden McWhirter is accused of shooting his grandfather, Carl Owen McWhirter, Monday afternoon before spending six and a half hours holed up in a home on the 1200 block of South Lafayette Street....

Shelby Police Chief Jeff Ledford said the younger McWhirter is a veteran who used an AR15 to shoot his grandfather.

In court Tuesday, McWhirter was assigned a $100,000 bond. He is on probation for a simple assault conviction in September 2017, according to the N.C. Department of Correction.
Pic at link.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 9875
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by O Really » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am

He shoots his grandfather with an AR-15, has a "standoff" with the cops, and gets turned loose on $100K bond - which means IRL $10K?
WTF?

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 am

O Really wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am
He shoots his grandfather with an AR-15, has a "standoff" with the cops, and gets turned loose on $100K bond - which means IRL $10K?
WTF?
Now I understand the more recent event, Polk County was trying to top Cleveland County, and did.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 pm

It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:07 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:27 pm
Alabama AG taking over case of black man killed by police

... The officer, whose name has not been released by authorities ...
Funny, they had zero problem immediately and erroneously naming Emantic "EJ" Bradford Jr. as the perp.
Alabama officer won't be charged for killing black man during mall shooting
The officer had said he shot and killed Emantic ‘EJ’ Bradford, Jr because he thought Bradford was the gunman in a mall shooting


Figures.

Alabama attorney general, Steve Marshall
Repug
former prosecutor
anti-choice
prohibitionist
slaver/traitor statue defender
anti-DACA
accused of campaign finance violations
Baptist missionary in India

Also, UNC grad, O Really. :P
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:38 pm
and it was the cops who shot the girl
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:27 pm
... The state also will investigate the wounding of a 12-year-old girl who was shot in the back, Marshall said....
That's getting pretty close to admitting that you are correct, billy.pilgrim.
Not mentioned in the article. Still under "investigation"?
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 9875
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by O Really » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 pm

I'm shocked - shocked I say!
Why aren't the NRA people all up in arms about a "good guy with a gun" was gunned down just exercising his 2nd Amendment rights? Oh yeah, dead guy was black, wasn't he?

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Image

In the wake of massive public pressure on the banking sector and widespread outrage about family detention and child separation by the Trump Administration, Wells Fargo publicly stated that private prisons are a risky investment and run counter to its human rights policies. Now more than 100 organizations, representing millions of people, are demanding that these banks take the next step and explicitly commit to ending their relationship with CoreCivic and the Geo Group — the two largest private prison corporations profiting from family separation and detention....

Every family should have a safe bed to tuck their children into at night, but CoreCivic and Geo Group are profiting off of traumatized children and families who are separated and locked up just for seeking that safety. We have the power to correct Trump’s zero-humanity policy by holding private prison profiteers accountable; it is ultimately up to us to free our families and reunite children with their parents....

Thanks for all that you do y ¡Adelante!

– Matt, Elisa, Erick, Kelly, Erica, Favianna, Reetu, Oscar and the Presente.org team.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 2627
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by neoplacebo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:08 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm
Image

In the wake of massive public pressure on the banking sector and widespread outrage about family detention and child separation by the Trump Administration, Wells Fargo publicly stated that private prisons are a risky investment and run counter to its human rights policies. Now more than 100 organizations, representing millions of people, are demanding that these banks take the next step and explicitly commit to ending their relationship with CoreCivic and the Geo Group — the two largest private prison corporations profiting from family separation and detention....

Every family should have a safe bed to tuck their children into at night, but CoreCivic and Geo Group are profiting off of traumatized children and families who are separated and locked up just for seeking that safety. We have the power to correct Trump’s zero-humanity policy by holding private prison profiteers accountable; it is ultimately up to us to free our families and reunite children with their parents....

Thanks for all that you do y ¡Adelante!

– Matt, Elisa, Erick, Kelly, Erica, Favianna, Reetu, Oscar and the Presente.org team.
I'm suspicious...not sure I believe WF and JPM would abandon ANYTHING that makes money for them. I'll wait.....

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:34 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:08 pm
I'm suspicious...not sure I believe WF and JPM would abandon ANYTHING that makes money for them. I'll wait.....
Yep, just WF words for now. Hence the need for ongoing pressure.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 2627
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by neoplacebo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:41 pm

Speaking of LEO....just today about 15 miles up the road here in Sullivan County TN a guy shot and killed his wife at the dentist office she worked at. But another patient in the waiting area was armed, had a CC permit, and shot the killer. No word if killer is dead or not but the CC guy held him down (which assumes he's still alive) until the cops got there. Good guy with a gun wins one. I salute.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:45 am

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:41 pm
Speaking of LEO....just today about 15 miles up the road here in Sullivan County TN a guy shot and killed his wife at the dentist office she worked at. But another patient in the waiting area was armed, had a CC permit, and shot the killer. No word if killer is dead or not but the CC guy held him down (which assumes he's still alive) until the cops got there. Good guy with a gun wins one. I salute.
Is it a win if the shooter accomplished his goal? No way would I trust myself to go armed to the dentist, and I'll bet almost all dentists (except maybe this one now) would prefer that their patients not carry.


Florida inmates help rescue baby after dad locks keys in car

When seconds count, the car thief you need may be minutes away.

Comment:
This is wonderful victory for everyone, thankful for our men in stripes.
:thumbup: :D
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Five bystanders shot during police shootout in New Orleans
Five people waiting at a bus stop were shot during a police shootout with a robbery suspect Sunday, police said.


Five people waiting at a bus stop were shot during a police shootout with a robbery suspect Sunday, police said.

The suspect was fatally shot by a Louisiana State Police Officer at the end of foot chase with gunfire throughout, Chief Shaun Ferguson said....

Four are in stable condition. One is in critical condition and required surgery, he said....

He said it was too early in the investigation to determine who was shot by whom.
Might be awhile. If anyone sees who shot whom down the road, please post.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 2627
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by neoplacebo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:29 am

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:45 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:41 pm
Speaking of LEO....just today about 15 miles up the road here in Sullivan County TN a guy shot and killed his wife at the dentist office she worked at. But another patient in the waiting area was armed, had a CC permit, and shot the killer. No word if killer is dead or not but the CC guy held him down (which assumes he's still alive) until the cops got there. Good guy with a gun wins one. I salute.
Is it a win if the shooter accomplished his goal? No way would I trust myself to go armed to the dentist, and I'll bet almost all dentists (except maybe this one now) would prefer that their patients not carry.


Florida inmates help rescue baby after dad locks keys in car

When seconds count, the car thief you need may be minutes away.

Comment:
This is wonderful victory for everyone, thankful for our men in stripes.
:thumbup: :D
Well, it wasn't a "win" for the wife who got killed......just another love story there. What I meant was that it's a "win" in the sense that nobody else got shot versus everybody else who was there getting shot. You never know how these love stories will turn out when the love is only going one way and then turns to rage. I don't go armed anywhere; I'm not that scared. The obvious solution to this sort of thing at medical or dental offices is to sedate everyone upon entering and then revive them when it's time for their appointment. Or just stay home.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 am

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 pm
...
For whatever reason Ted Bundy has been on TV a fair bit lately. I'm no serial killer junkie, but had one of the shows on while making a snack. It made me wonder if Ms. O was in fear of the then still unnamed Seattle killer at the time, 1974.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 9875
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by O Really » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 am

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 pm
...
For whatever reason Ted Bundy has been on TV a fair bit lately. I'm no serial killer junkie, but had one of the shows on while making a snack. It made me wonder if Ms. O was in fear of the then still unnamed Seattle killer at the time, 1974.
Yes, she was there then, and remembers being worried and was at U-Dub at the time. She's still interested in the Bundy story, too, as on 20/20 earlier. I think ID has a series on him also. Baaaaad dude.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:03 am

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 am
Yes, she was there then, and remembers being worried and was at U-Dub at the time. She's still interested in the Bundy story, too, as on 20/20 earlier. I think ID has a series on him also. Baaaaad dude.
Must be weird for her given what eventually came out. I was physically quite close to the Unabomber at times, but was never a potential victim of his.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 15950
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:30 am

Watch: (Lying, bully) Arizona marshal threatens to have pre-teen journalist ‘thrown in juvey’ for reporting the news (article)


Town of Patagonia, Arizona: Contact

Subject: Marshal Joseph Patterson

Re:
https://www.alternet.org/2019/02/watch- ... -the-news/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQpst6WdOI

I get that you have to keep personnel discipline actions confidential, but where is the public apology to the tween for bullying her and the public explanation from Marshal Patterson of the law that he lied about, and why in the world would you want to keep on payroll a cop that is too cowardly to do these things after he's shamed your town across the nation?

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
Hendersonville, NC
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 2627
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Heh, I wrote to those folks this morning; haven't heard anything back, though.......don't expect to. I'm quite sure they didn't dig what I had to tell them. :D

Post Reply