The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3674
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo » Wed May 15, 2019 6:27 pm

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:32 pm
Do you surf, Neo? You didn’t mention Patrick Swayze. I liked him in Road House too.
You're right; it wasn't Jeff Bridges; it was Swayze. thanks. I only surf at night.

User avatar
1 CAT FAN
Marshal
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 am

Captain America couldn't leave his best girl
    "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 19010
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 pm

    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 19010
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Tue May 21, 2019 7:47 pm

    Get Out

    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

    I get what all the buzz was about.
    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 19010
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Mon May 27, 2019 9:13 am

    Snowden (film)

    :thumbup: Not bad. Good job telling his story whether one agrees with his choices or not.
    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 19010
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:33 am

    Vrede too wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 7:47 pm
    Get Out

    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

    I get what all the buzz was about.
    Jordan Peele is as freaked out by that Jared and Ivanka photo as everyone else

    Image

    Regardless of your political persuasion, most people would agree there’s something creepy about that photo of Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner staring out from Buckingham Palace during President Donald Trump’s visit to the United Kingdom. As one Twitter user noted, “It’s like The Shining only way scarier.”

    Talking of horror movies, another person to find this image haunting is Get Out writer-director Jordan Peele. After another Twitter user tweeted the photo with the message “Yo Jordan Peele bro we don’t want this movie okay,” the filmmaker himself responded. “Between this and that terrifying sorority video, I’ve been getting a lot of great inspiration recently,” Peele wrote....


    Alpha Delta Pi Texas sorority's 'terrifying' recruitment video

    :lol:
    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    GoCubsGo
    Ensign
    Posts: 1737
    Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by GoCubsGo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:24 am

    Vrede too wrote:
    Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:33 am
    Vrede too wrote:
    Tue May 21, 2019 7:47 pm
    Get Out

    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

    I get what all the buzz was about.
    Jordan Peele is as freaked out by that Jared and Ivanka photo as everyone else

    Image

    Regardless of your political persuasion, most people would agree there’s something creepy about that photo of Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner staring out from Buckingham Palace during President Donald Trump’s visit to the United Kingdom. As one Twitter user noted, “It’s like The Shining only way scarier.”

    Talking of horror movies, another person to find this image haunting is Get Out writer-director Jordan Peele. After another Twitter user tweeted the photo with the message “Yo Jordan Peele bro we don’t want this movie okay,” the filmmaker himself responded. “Between this and that terrifying sorority video, I’ve been getting a lot of great inspiration recently,” Peele wrote....


    Alpha Delta Pi Texas sorority's 'terrifying' recruitment video

    :lol:
    Glad someone was inspired, I was just creeped. What could those girls have been thinking? Bad enough to make that vid, but then to release it?
    Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202

    If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

    User avatar
    O Really
    Captain
    Posts: 10954
    Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by O Really » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 am

    Missed some "lyrics" - something-something go AD Pi...something wanta go AD Pi, dontchoo? Must have missed the "terrifying" part. Guess it could have been "white chicks wanta go AD Pi, dontchoo" :lol:

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 19010
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:24 am

    Logan (film)

    :thumbup: :thumbup: May be my favorite comic book movie.
    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 19010
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:03 am

    The Girl with All the Gifts

    :shock: Unique and well made addition to the zombie horror genre. 13 year-old Sennia Nanua is amazing.
    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 19010
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:47 am

    The Mist

    :o :!:

    I think most Stephen King horror stories besides 1976 Carrie, Misery and 1408 have been awful on the screen, not this one.

    Fwiw, I don't count Stand by Me, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, all excellent, as horror movies.
    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    User avatar
    O Really
    Captain
    Posts: 10954
    Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by O Really » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:23 am

    Vrede too wrote:
    Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:47 am
    [

    I think most Stephen King horror stories besides 1976 Carrie, Misery and 1408 have been awful on the screen, not this one.
    I used to agree with that, but I had a change in attitude some time after "The Shining" came out. I had read the book and thought it was one of the best ever, and the film was not close. Shelley Duval, great though she is in some things, was not the strong female in the book, and in fact, the whole premise of the book was changed. In the book, the real "bad guy" was the hotel itself that created all the evil; the film just had some ghostly stuff and a crazy guy. But for some reason I saw the film again a few years later and realized it was very good - as long as you didn't compare it to what your own mind had created/seen in the book you read. Take it for what it is, not for what you would have done. "Christine" and "Pet Semetary" were the same way - not very close to the book, but entertaining if you don't compare them too closely.

    Usually for me, comparing a book I've read to the film, it's usually the characters that go awry because they either don't match what I imagined, or in some cases don't even match what was specifically described in the book. Like the Jack Reacher books - Jack is big, 6'4" and 250 or so. That's a major part of his character and emphasized in the books. So who do they get to play him in the film? Five-foot seven Tom Cruise. Seriously?

    GoCubsGo
    Ensign
    Posts: 1737
    Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by GoCubsGo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:25 am

    O Really wrote:
    Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:23 am
    Vrede too wrote:
    Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:47 am
    [

    I think most Stephen King horror stories besides 1976 Carrie, Misery and 1408 have been awful on the screen, not this one.
    I used to agree with that, but I had a change in attitude some time after "The Shining" came out. I had read the book and thought it was one of the best ever, and the film was not close. Shelley Duval, great though she is in some things, was not the strong female in the book, and in fact, the whole premise of the book was changed. In the book, the real "bad guy" was the hotel itself that created all the evil; the film just had some ghostly stuff and a crazy guy. But for some reason I saw the film again a few years later and realized it was very good - as long as you didn't compare it to what your own mind had created/seen in the book you read. Take it for what it is, not for what you would have done. "Christine" and "Pet Semetary" were the same way - not very close to the book, but entertaining if you don't compare them too closely.

    Usually for me, comparing a book I've read to the film, it's usually the characters that go awry because they either don't match what I imagined, or in some cases don't even match what was specifically described in the book. Like the Jack Reacher books - Jack is big, 6'4" and 250 or so. That's a major part of his character and emphasized in the books. So who do they get to play him in the film? Five-foot seven Tom Cruise. Seriously?

    True dat on Reacher, can't watch the films cause it's just so wrong.
    Eamus Catuli~AC 000101 010202

    If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 19010
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:17 am

    We'll just have to disagree, whether it's because I can't forget the books or it really is the quality of the films.

    Jack Nicholson has a couple of moments, but I was not impressed by The Shining.

    I thought that Pet Sematary was one of King's creepiest books, which made the hokey 1989 movie that much worse or me. No scares here. The 2019 version has gotten a shaky response:
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pet_sematary_2019
    I don't plan on seeing it.

    I'll give you Christine. I don't remember thinking much of it, but it's been a looong time.
    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    User avatar
    O Really
    Captain
    Posts: 10954
    Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by O Really » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:57 am

    Jeez, has it really been that loooooong? But yeah, I was disappointed with the Pet Semetary film and see no reason to see the remake, although I'm sure the cgi would be better. I just think King-based films are probably more entertaining if you haven't read the books. He's so good at getting into readers' heads that portraying the same intensity is really hard.

    Back to the original subject, I read "The Mist" when is was still "The Fog" and thought it was really good. Didn't see the movie.

    User avatar
    O Really
    Captain
    Posts: 10954
    Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by O Really » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:01 pm

    Opinions may vary sharply...

    "Most Overrated Movies Ever"

    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment ... &ocid=iehp

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 19010
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:09 pm

    O Really wrote:
    Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:01 pm
    Opinions may vary sharply...

    "Most Overrated Movies Ever"

    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment ... &ocid=iehp
    Agree with Kim Mannix, overrated but not necessarily “bad”:

    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    The English Patient
    Top Gun
    A Clockwork Orange
    The Hangover


    Disagree with Kim Mannix:

    The Big Lebowski
    The Blair Witch Project
    Gravity
    !
    Braveheart
    The Breakfast Club
    !!!
    The Sixth Sense (FU, I was surprised)

    The rest I never saw, didn’t see in 3D (Avatar ), don’t remember well enough or have mixed feelings about.

    Y'all?
    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    User avatar
    billy.pilgrim
    Captain
    Posts: 6045
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 pm

    Vrede too wrote:
    Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:09 pm
    O Really wrote:
    Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:01 pm
    Opinions may vary sharply...

    "Most Overrated Movies Ever"

    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment ... &ocid=iehp
    Agree with Kim Mannix, overrated but not necessarily “bad”:

    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    The English Patient
    Top Gun
    A Clockwork Orange
    The Hangover


    Disagree with Kim Mannix:

    The Big Lebowski
    The Blair Witch Project
    Gravity
    !
    Braveheart
    The Breakfast Club
    !!!
    The Sixth Sense (FU, I was surprised)

    The rest I never saw, didn’t see in 3D (Avatar ), don’t remember well enough or have mixed feelings about.

    Y'all?

    Vote for Pedro

    You?
    George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

    User avatar
    billy.pilgrim
    Captain
    Posts: 6045
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:06 pm

    billy.pilgrim wrote:
    Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 pm
    Vrede too wrote:
    Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:09 pm
    O Really wrote:
    Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:01 pm
    Opinions may vary sharply...

    "Most Overrated Movies Ever"

    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment ... &ocid=iehp
    Agree with Kim Mannix, overrated but not necessarily “bad”:

    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    The English Patient
    Top Gun
    A Clockwork Orange
    The Hangover


    Disagree with Kim Mannix:

    The Big Lebowski
    The Blair Witch Project
    Gravity
    !
    Braveheart
    The Breakfast Club
    !!!
    The Sixth Sense (FU, I was surprised)

    The rest I never saw, didn’t see in 3D (Avatar ), don’t remember well enough or have mixed feelings about.

    Y'all?

    Vote for Pedro

    You?

    No Napoleon fans here?


    https://youtu.be/BEJFWoAVJz4
    George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

    User avatar
    1 CAT FAN
    Marshal
    Posts: 827
    Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

    Re: The Cinema Thread

    Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:15 pm

    Nah, it couldn't be...
      "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

      Post Reply