The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13079
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:12 am
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Finally got around to it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Didn't remember it. Looked it up. Remembered I didn't care for it. I found it hard to follow at the time. Maybe I needed to pay closer attention, like watching Matrix.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:18 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:12 am
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Finally got around to it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Didn't remember it. Looked it up. Remembered I didn't care for it. I found it hard to follow at the time. Maybe I needed to pay closer attention, like watching Matrix.
I am finally watching Matrix from the beginning - I'm actually enjoying it for the first time.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Commander
Posts: 3586
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Anyone a fan of Inception?

Great movie!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 am
Anyone a fan of Inception?

Great movie!
:thumbup:
viewtopic.php?p=84216#p84216
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:24 pm
Inception

:shock: :clap:
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Whack9
Ensign
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:35 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:18 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:12 am
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Finally got around to it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Didn't remember it. Looked it up. Remembered I didn't care for it. I found it hard to follow at the time. Maybe I needed to pay closer attention, like watching Matrix.
I am finally watching Matrix from the beginning - I'm actually enjoying it for the first time.
If you like the matrix, check out the movie Dark City: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0118929
Fuck 2019 2020

Ezekiel 23:20

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita have tested positive for COVID-19. They've been married since 1988. I'm sure that people have talked about this for 20 years and I'm just now catching on, but her full name being Rita WILSON adds a little bit of a creepy element to 2000's Cast Away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_Away ... volleyball
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

75th anniversary of her death at the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in Feb. This was made to mark the 50th anniversary:
Anne Frank Remembered

Anne Frank Remembered is a 1995 British documentary film produced and directed by Jon Blair about the life and diary of the German-born Dutch Jewish diarist, Anne Frank. The film was produced in association with the Anne Frank House, Disney Channel, and the BBC, and features narration by Kenneth Branagh and extracts from Frank's diary read by Glenn Close. It originally aired on television in April 1995 before it was screened theatrically by Sony Pictures Classics in February 1996.

Miep Gies, the woman who had helped shelter the family, and who had saved the diary after the group was betrayed, collaborated with Blair and is interviewed about her memories of hiding the Frank family. Blair also uses interviews with Hanneli Goslar and Jaqueline van Maarsen, two of Anne Frank's friends, and notably uses archive interviews of Otto Frank to retell Anne's story....

The film won an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature in 1996. The award was jointly collected by Jon Blair and Miep Gies, who received a standing ovation during the award ceremony.

On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 97% based on 29 reviews, and an average rating of 8/10.
I have:

Read Anne Frank's diary;
Toured the Anne Frank house and museum in Amsterdam;
Visited WW2 museums in Amsterdam and Copenhagen;
Visited the Holocaust Museum in DC;
Toured the Neuengamme and Dachau concentration camps;
Seen at least one other film about Anne Frank.

Still, this is a very powerful and informative documentary. I can see why it won the Oscar.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Inside Man

Inside Man is a 2006 American heist thriller film directed by Spike Lee, and written by Russell Gewirtz. It centers on an elaborate bank heist on Wall Street over a 24-hour period. The film stars Denzel Washington as Detective Keith Frazier, the NYPD's hostage negotiator, Clive Owen as Dalton Russell, the mastermind who orchestrates the heist, and Jodie Foster as Madeleine White, a Manhattan power broker who becomes involved at the request of the bank's founder, Arthur Case (Christopher Plummer), to keep something in his safe deposit box protected from the robbers. Inside Man marks the fourth film collaboration between Washington and Lee....
:clap: :clap:
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Gran Torino

It is another White savior film and it makes this list of them, but they can also be excellent movies, and Clint’s also a big part of the reason that they need saving.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:47 am
Gran Torino

It is another White savior film and it makes this list of them, but they can also be excellent movies, and Clint’s also a big part of the reason that they need saving.

:clap: :clap: :clap:


Does the Cisco Kid make the list of Illegal Immigrant Savior films? After all it's a Hollywood American show about 2 illegals who save blonde American women from ruthless white men.
Gotta be fair.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:38 am
Does the Cisco Kid make the list of Illegal Immigrant Savior films? After all it's a Hollywood American show about 2 illegals who save blonde American women from ruthless white men.
Gotta be fair.
I think it takes more than one movie to make a list.

Why are you so sensitive about this topic?
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:46 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:38 am
Does the Cisco Kid make the list of Illegal Immigrant Savior films? After all it's a Hollywood American show about 2 illegals who save blonde American women from ruthless white men.
Gotta be fair.
I think it takes more than one movie to make a list.

Why are you so sensitive about this topic?
Sensitive?

Don't think so. I looked at a list years ago, it made a lot of sense about quite a few movies and tv shows, but in the end seemed to require a somewhat tortured format to stay off the list. In real life, in most of our US of A, it often is some white guy who saves a brown person.

Maybe I'll look at a list of what's considered to be a White Savior film, but for the most part I don't see an effort to present White as Savior. Lord knows that I have the time to waste.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am
Sensitive?

Don't think so. I looked at a list years ago, it made a lot of sense about quite a few movies and tv shows, but in the end seemed to require a somewhat tortured format to stay off the list. In real life, in most of our US of A, it often is some white guy who saves a brown person.

Maybe I'll look at a list of what's considered to be a White Savior film, but for the most part I don't see an effort to present White as Savior. Lord knows that I have the time to waste.
IMO it's an undeniable theme in movies, but the folks pointing that out are not saying that it's always a bad thing, just that there's little balance.

In real life, in most of our US of A, it's also some white guy who endangers a brown person, but there are certainly movies about that, too. As I admitted, in Gran Torino Clint is savior-danger-savior.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:31 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am
Sensitive?

Don't think so. I looked at a list years ago, it made a lot of sense about quite a few movies and tv shows, but in the end seemed to require a somewhat tortured format to stay off the list. In real life, in most of our US of A, it often is some white guy who saves a brown person.

Maybe I'll look at a list of what's considered to be a White Savior film, but for the most part I don't see an effort to present White as Savior. Lord knows that I have the time to waste.
IMO it's an undeniable theme in movies, but the folks pointing that out are not saying that it's always a bad thing, just that there's little balance.

In real life, in most of our US of A, it's also some white guy who endangers a brown person, but there are certainly movies about that, too. As I admitted, in Gran Torino Clint is savior-danger-savior.

agreed.

Edit:

But mostly see it as a List Too Far

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13079
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Think up a definition. Find examples that seem to match the definition. Use those examples to support the definition you made up.

I think I'll go with the "White Slasher" genre. My hypothesis is that horror slice 'n dice films have a disproportionate number of white males in the leading roles, preying on young people with loose bikini tops. The portrayal of young people is always as victim, not very smart, and perpetually horny. Dialogue assigned to the young people reinforces stereotypes of cluelessness. For example, "There's some guy outside with a bloody axe - let's go ask him if he's seen Kami out here." Examples on my list include"

Nightmare on Elm Street (series)
Halloween, except for IV Season of the Witch
Friday the 13th (series)

Even where the star is not entirely human, it's white. Chuckie, Frankenstein, Count Dracula, Great White Shark.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:04 pm
Think up a definition. Find examples that seem to match the definition. Use those examples to support the definition you made up.

I think I'll go with the "White Slasher" genre. My hypothesis is that horror slice 'n dice films have a disproportionate number of white males in the leading roles, preying on young people with loose bikini tops. The portrayal of young people is always as victim, not very smart, and perpetually horny....
But you're not inventing anything. That is a real cinema trope as much as the White Savior is. The only difference is that it's arguably less offensive when perpetually horny young people, often of different races, are the helpless victims (until the finale) than when nonwhites repeatedly are.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 13079
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:57 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:04 pm
Think up a definition. Find examples that seem to match the definition. Use those examples to support the definition you made up.

I think I'll go with the "White Slasher" genre. My hypothesis is that horror slice 'n dice films have a disproportionate number of white males in the leading roles, preying on young people with loose bikini tops. The portrayal of young people is always as victim, not very smart, and perpetually horny....
But you're not inventing anything. That is a real cinema trope as much as the White Savior is. The only difference is that it's arguably less offensive when perpetually horny young people, often of different races, are the helpless victims (until the finale) than when nonwhites repeatedly are.
No, it's not invention - it's classifying and pointing out inequity, same as White Saviour. IMNVHO, I don't care what race/color/gender the saviour or the saved are as long as it's a good story that doesn't denigrate the saved.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:47 pm
No, it's not invention - it's classifying and pointing out inequity, same as White Saviour. IMNVHO, I don't care what race/color/gender the saviour or the saved are as long as it's a good story that doesn't denigrate the saved.
I think some would argue that the sheer volume of White Savior flicks does denigrate nonwhites, even if some particular flicks don't do so.

Is it "inequity"? Most serial killers are indeed White, whereas saviors and saved can be any color irl. That said, young people with loose bikini tops might be over-represented as victims ;) .
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:02 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:47 pm
No, it's not invention - it's classifying and pointing out inequity, same as White Saviour. IMNVHO, I don't care what race/color/gender the saviour or the saved are as long as it's a good story that doesn't denigrate the saved.
I think some would argue that the sheer volume of White Savior flicks does denigrate nonwhites, even if some particular flicks don't do so.

Is it "inequity"? Most serial killers are indeed White, whereas saviors and saved can be any color irl. That said, young people with loose bikini tops might be over-represented as victims ;) .
How so if the numbers represent the population?

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 26258
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:41 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:02 pm
I think some would argue that the sheer volume of White Savior flicks does denigrate nonwhites, even if some particular flicks don't do so.

Is it "inequity"? Most serial killers are indeed White, whereas saviors and saved can be any color irl. That said, young people with loose bikini tops might be over-represented as victims ;) .
How so if the numbers represent the population?
Your reference is vague to me.
Most serial killers are indeed White.
I'm pretty sure that young people with loose bikini tops are over-represented in the movies as victims of serial killers.
I'm unaware of any real world evidence that White are saviors of nonwhites any more than nonwhites are saviors of themselves or of Whites, yet it's the first option that's most often depicted in the movies.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

Post Reply