The Worker Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Captain

Re: The Worker Thread

Unread post by O Really » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:29 pm

"pre-labor" :lol:
Funny thing is, my spell-check still thinks it's Canadian, and it had marked that, but I just thought it was because I didn't write "labour" and ignored it. Anyway, I've reconsidered - NLRB probably is "little-known" by many of those who would benefit most by it if it were doing its job.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:01 pm

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:29 pm
"pre-labor" :lol:
Funny thing is, my spell-check still thinks it's Canadian, and it had marked that, but I just thought it was because I didn't write "labour" and ignored it. Anyway, I've reconsidered - NLRB probably is "little-known" by many of those who would benefit most by it if it were doing its job.
Probably just as well since the point of the article and report is that they won't benefit from this NLRB. Why get anyone's hopes up?
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:30 pm

At least in part due to the constant barrage of right-wing propaganda, unions are not seen as a positive means to worker improvement. A union can't guarantee higher wages or benefits, although historically unionized companies do have higher pay on average than non-union companies. But what the union can guarantee is a grievance process that provides some protection against unreasonable discipline, adverse employment decisions and adds somewhat to job security. Now if you work of one of the big boxes and get treated like crap, what is there about that that you wouldn't want? The propaganda has hammered on about how expensive union membership is, and how you have to go on strike, and how crooked the leaders are, yada. And the unions haven't been doing much lately to neutralize that. Remember "Look for the Union Label"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO7VUklDlQw

The message was that of regular people - you neighbors - working hard to earn a living making things you need, and doing it in the US. And even from 1980ish jobs were headed out of country. What has SEIU run lately?

Two of the four headline pics say "Strike" https://www.seiu.org/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:09 pm

Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

Vrede too