College basketball

Post Reply
User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 18538
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: College basketball

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:42 pm

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 am
https://sports.yahoo.com/how-one-terrib ... 12784.html

Word to the officials, if it's close, go with the legacy team.
The real reason Texas Tech lost:

Ted Cruz gets backlash for 'jinxing' Texas Tech with last-minute selfie

He's done it before:

Tweets About Ted Cruz "Cursing" The Houston Rockets Was As Inevitable As Their Loss
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
1 CAT FAN
General
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: College basketball

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney sent an inspiring message to his fellow ACC head coach prior to tipoff. “Let the light that shines in you be brighter than the light that shines on you.”
    https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/da ... wBQJtRhEwk
    "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

    User avatar
    1 CAT FAN
    General
    Posts: 761
    Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

    Re: College basketball

    Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:33 pm

    Auburn Basketball: Bruce Pearl has new comment on the missed double-dribble.
      https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/br ... fQPBUAL35M
      "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

      User avatar
      Vrede too
      Superstar Cultmaster
      Posts: 18538
      Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
      Location: Hendersonvile, NC

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 am

      O Really wrote:
      Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:06 am
      Sounds like minor (but maybe valid) complaints that went unaddressed until somebody got thoroughly pissed. Never works to keep hoping complaints will just go away.
      Pretty good guess, but regardless:

      UNC’s Hatchell resigns after findings from program review
      It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

      User avatar
      O Really
      Captain
      Posts: 10809
      Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by O Really » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:55 am

      Vrede too wrote:
      Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 am
      O Really wrote:
      Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:06 am
      Sounds like minor (but maybe valid) complaints that went unaddressed until somebody got thoroughly pissed. Never works to keep hoping complaints will just go away.
      Pretty good guess, but regardless:

      UNC’s Hatchell resigns after findings from program review
      Old lady, history of health issues, cheaper to toss her under the bus than to defend her questionable behaviour (which obviously has been an ever-present hallmark of her tenure for the last 33 years :roll: )

      User avatar
      Vrede too
      Superstar Cultmaster
      Posts: 18538
      Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
      Location: Hendersonvile, NC

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:39 am

      1986 Vrede too might not fare so well in 2019, either.
      It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

      User avatar
      O Really
      Captain
      Posts: 10809
      Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by O Really » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:51 am

      I'm not saying circumstances and behaviour expectations shouldn't be improved or changed over time, but really - did you ever have or know of a coach in a physical sport who didn't encourage the doc to "give us a little help here - we've got a big event coming up..." or who didn't get a bit crude in language from time to time. I guess it's possible that Hatchell has some sort of dementia and has had personality/behaviour changes, but otherwise, she's got 33 years of record with literally hundreds of athletes on her teams where she didn't seem to cause any permanent harm.

      User avatar
      Vrede too
      Superstar Cultmaster
      Posts: 18538
      Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
      Location: Hendersonvile, NC

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:19 am

      O Really wrote:
      Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:51 am
      I'm not saying circumstances and behaviour expectations shouldn't be improved or changed over time, but really - did you ever have or know of a coach in a physical sport who didn't encourage the doc to "give us a little help here - we've got a big event coming up..." or who didn't get a bit crude in language from time to time. I guess it's possible that Hatchell has some sort of dementia and has had personality/behaviour changes, but otherwise, she's got 33 years of record with literally hundreds of athletes on her teams where she didn't seem to cause any permanent harm.
      Idk, one wouldn't think that either coaches or athletes change that much. Maybe:

      She did get crustier;
      After 33 years she reached that 'I don't give a fuck' stage of human development;
      The culture changed;
      The UNC admin changed, allowing gripes to progress further;
      Just an unfortunate mix of coach and players (and parents?) this year;
      Any or none of these PLUS no ACC Tournament or Regular Season Championship for over a decade, no Final Four for over a decade and no NCAA Tournament Championship for over 2 decades.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Car ... basketball
      It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

      User avatar
      Vrede too
      Superstar Cultmaster
      Posts: 18538
      Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
      Location: Hendersonvile, NC

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:06 pm

      It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

      User avatar
      billy.pilgrim
      Captain
      Posts: 5938
      Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:45 am


      My hat is off to them. Auburn would have gone.
      George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

      User avatar
      Vrede too
      Superstar Cultmaster
      Posts: 18538
      Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
      Location: Hendersonvile, NC

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 am

      billy.pilgrim wrote:
      Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:45 am
      My hat is off to them. Auburn would have gone.
      Officially, probably, but are black players, especially those not returning, going to be very different anywhere?
      It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

      User avatar
      billy.pilgrim
      Captain
      Posts: 5938
      Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:29 am

      Vrede too wrote:
      Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 am
      billy.pilgrim wrote:
      Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:45 am
      My hat is off to them. Auburn would have gone.
      Officially, probably, but are black players, especially those not returning, going to be very different anywhere?
      Seniors maybe, but Pearl is big on respect for the position, even when the man doesn't deserve it.

      But I only speculate. Bottom line is it's all good with Virginia.
      George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

      User avatar
      O Really
      Captain
      Posts: 10809
      Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by O Really » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:04 am

      billy.pilgrim wrote:
      Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:29 am

      ...but Pearl is big on respect for the position, even when the man doesn't deserve it.
      .
      One would think so, but when the "man" uses his official Twitter account to insult citizens, selectively cooperates with press depending on whether they praise him, and serves cold burgers to national champions, I'd say he's pretty much taken away much of a division between man/position for this administration*.

      User avatar
      Vrede too
      Superstar Cultmaster
      Posts: 18538
      Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
      Location: Hendersonvile, NC

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:36 pm

      billy.pilgrim wrote:
      Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:29 am
      Vrede too wrote:
      Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 am
      Officially, probably, but are black players, especially those not returning, going to be very different anywhere?
      Seniors maybe ....
      It's a factor with Virginia.
      ... “We have received inquiries about a visit to the White House,” read a statement from head coach Tony Bennett. “With several players either pursuing pro opportunities or moving on from UVA, it would be difficult, if not impossible to get everyone back together. We would have to respectfully decline an invitation.”

      Four players from that Virginia team — De’Andre Hunter, Ty Jerome, Kyle Guy and Mamadi Diakite — have declared for the NBA draft since the season ended, and all but Diakite have released statements saying that they are going to remain in the draft....
      I choose to see it as a direct slap to 45SHOLE, players that want to go to the WH find a way. However, there's no telling what Tony Bennett would have required if there weren't so many leaving, or what the payers, leaving and staying, really wanted.

      I wonder how far Pearl would go if the whole team declined. Is it worth booting payers when so many teams have already told POSPOTUS to fuck off?
      It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

      User avatar
      1 CAT FAN
      General
      Posts: 761
      Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

      Re: College basketball

      Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 am

      billy.pilgrim wrote:
      Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:45 am

      My hat is off to them. Auburn would have gone.
        I still like those white with orange numeral uniforms that they wore. :thumbup:
        "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

        User avatar
        billy.pilgrim
        Captain
        Posts: 5938
        Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

        Re: College basketball

        Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 pm

        http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 25-2019-20

        Auburn drops out of the top 30. I understood the #22, but the only things that has changed since ranked #22 are:

        all players staying are the same, except for one who decided to stay and

        recruiting has been great
        George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

        User avatar
        Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster
        Posts: 18538
        Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
        Location: Hendersonvile, NC

        Re: College basketball

        Unread post by Vrede too » Thu May 02, 2019 6:14 pm

        billy.pilgrim wrote:
        Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 pm
        http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 25-2019-20

        Auburn drops out of the top 30. I understood the #22, but the only things that has changed since ranked #22 are:

        all players staying are the same, except for one who decided to stay and

        recruiting has been great
        Not knowing more, that is pretty disrespectful to a Final 4 team. Then again, Champion UVA is #14 and runner up Texas Tech is #16.

        Fuck #1 Michigan State.
        It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

        User avatar
        billy.pilgrim
        Captain
        Posts: 5938
        Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

        Re: College basketball

        Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Thu May 02, 2019 6:30 pm

        Vrede too wrote:
        Thu May 02, 2019 6:14 pm
        billy.pilgrim wrote:
        Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 pm
        http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 25-2019-20

        Auburn drops out of the top 30. I understood the #22, but the only things that has changed since ranked #22 are:

        all players staying are the same, except for one who decided to stay and

        recruiting has been great
        Not knowing more, that is pretty disrespectful to a Final 4 team. Then again, Champion UVA is #14 and runner up Texas Tech is #16.

        Fuck #1 Michigan State.

        Basketball is so up and down, there's no telling what the rankings will be 10 or 20 games in. So, why not show some respect to last year.

        That said, I love being underdogs. Unless it's football in 2004 and everybody says that it does absolutely matter that you started at #25 and doesn't matter in the least that you had the hardest schedule in the country and won every game; after all, how can a winning team go down just because they don't play anyone. In 2004 it didn't pay to be the underdog.
        George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

        User avatar
        Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster
        Posts: 18538
        Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
        Location: Hendersonvile, NC

        Re: College basketball

        Unread post by Vrede too » Fri May 03, 2019 8:28 am

        Fascinating:

        How one basketball middleman exposed college amateurism and clowned the FBI

        Idk what the fixes are, but we sure need them in the NCAA and FBI.
        It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

        User avatar
        1 CAT FAN
        General
        Posts: 761
        Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

        Re: College basketball

        Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Fri May 17, 2019 9:02 pm

        Virginia's Tony Bennett say's Dabo Swinney's call to him was "powerful" https://www.tigernet.com/story/Virginia ... rful-17874
        "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

        Post Reply