NFL Football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Found:
Sometimes I am embarrassed to be a Cowboys fan and all the antics Jerry Jones has put us through...then I count my blessings when I think what could be worse....I could be a (DC) fan...ugh, let the nightmare end
Ouch.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

I'm voting for the Washington Acting Secretaries.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:32 pm
I'm voting for the Washington Acting Secretaries.
Or Washington Acting Presidents . . . but maybe it's best to forget these 4 years altogether.

Washington ‘Football Team’ for 2020 season

:confusion-scratchheadblue: Sheesh, Snyder really never put a moment's prior thought into this.

Seahawks tweet: We were here first.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

O Really
Vice admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:08 pm

:confusion-scratchheadblue: Sheesh, Snyder really never put a moment's prior thought into this.

So maybe the "Washington Redfaces" - or is it no longer acceptable to use that term for embarrassment?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm
So maybe the "Washington Redfaces" - or is it no longer acceptable to use that term for embarrassment?
:D

Better go with "DC Humiliation" just to be safe.
-- Voltaire

O Really
Vice admiral

Washington Weasels would be a good one.
But really, I think they should not have any name derived from the politics surrounding DC and should just get a good footballish team name. Wolves, maybe even Red Wolves, something that can be as fun as "da Bears."

Whoever teams hire to come up with names needs to be replaced. Back when Jax and Carolina came into the NFL, they picked "Panthers" for the Carolina team, in a state that in which panthers are extinct, and, instead of giving that name to Jax, where there really are panthers, named the Jax team "Jaguars" even though there have never been any in Florida. And whoever thought "Bills" was clever? And "Ravens" is a cool name, until you realize it's a reference to Poe's Raven, who just sits there and says "nevermore" in lament of his lost Colts.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:21 pm
Washington Weasels would be a good one.
But really, I think they should not have any name derived from the politics surrounding DC and should just get a good footballish team name. Wolves, maybe even Red Wolves, something that can be as fun as "da Bears."

Whoever teams hire to come up with names needs to be replaced. Back when Jax and Carolina came into the NFL, they picked "Panthers" for the Carolina team, in a state that in which panthers are extinct, and, instead of giving that name to Jax, where there really are panthers, named the Jax team "Jaguars" even though there have never been any in Florida. And whoever thought "Bills" was clever? And "Ravens" is a cool name, until you realize it's a reference to Poe's Raven, who just sits there and says "nevermore" in lament of his lost Colts.
Think how many times we'd have to hear the announcers exclaiming after a hard hit, "Pop goes the Weasel!"

I like "Red Wolves", but red wolves were extinct in the wild, and certainly have been extinct in the DC area for a long time. The only populations now were reintroduced and they're barely hanging on - northeastern North Carolina and St. Vincent Island in Florida.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf
I'm for anything that might build fondness for endangered species.

Panthers, which are North American cougars, did used to live here and there are rare reports of surviving individuals in the mountains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_cougar
Plus, the Carolina nickname/logo is a BLACK Panther, which I think is pretty cool. There were some of those here in the 1960s ;) .

I got nothing to say about the "Jaguars" or "Bills", but I think honoring Poe was a great choice. He's also probably one of beleaguered Baltimore's biggest tourist draws.
-- Voltaire

O Really
Vice admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 pm
I think honoring Poe was a great choice. He's also probably one of beleaguered Baltimore's biggest tourist draws.
I think Ravens is a great name. At least until somebody realizes it has great importance in the indigenous culture of the northwest.

http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2013/06/sy ... ative.html

Major cultural appropriation - and the Indians had the logo first.

O Really
Vice admiral

We are the Deadskins
Sold down the creek
Who cares what they name us
The team will always reek

We're not from D C
We have no name
Dead are the Redskins
Snyder gets the blame

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:23 pm
... Snyder gets the blame
I had hopes that players would refuse to sign with DC given the racist nickname, and maybe that's quietly happened. However, I think it even more likely that players have shunned Snyder.
-- Voltaire

O Really
Vice admiral

Hmmm, turning down a multi-million dollar opportunity to play in the NFL in protest over the team name? I don't think so. Unless maybe you're named Kaepernick.