NFL Football

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm

I read today the Raiders are figuring on slinking back to Oakland even though the city is suing them. A big difference from back when I was out in the Bay Area in the late 70's when the Raiders were riding high. Sigh. Ken Stabler Lester Hayes Fred Biletnikoff Mark van Eeghen Ted Hendricks ahhh, the good old days. And Madden was the coach. :D

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:38 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm
I read today the Raiders are figuring on slinking back to Oakland even though the city is suing them. A big difference from back when I was out in the Bay Area in the late 70's when the Raiders were riding high. Sigh. Ken Stabler Lester Hayes Fred Biletnikoff Mark van Eeghen Ted Hendricks ahhh, the good old days. And Madden was the coach. :D
Raiders reportedly negotiating to return to Oakland for 2019 season, despite opposition
This comes just months after Oakland filed an antitrust lawsuit against the team

... According to NBC Bay Area's Raj Mathai, City Council President Rebecca Kaplan said that "if the Raiders wanted to offer us a huge increased lease payment -- much more than we previously discussed -- in exchange for dropping the lawsuit, we might be willing to consider it."
:---P

Wow.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:31 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:38 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm
Raiders reportedly negotiating to return to Oakland for 2019 season, despite opposition
This comes just months after Oakland filed an antitrust lawsuit against the team

... According to NBC Bay Area's Raj Mathai, City Council President Rebecca Kaplan said that "if the Raiders wanted to offer us a huge increased lease payment -- much more than we previously discussed -- in exchange for dropping the lawsuit, we might be willing to consider it."
:---P

Wow.
Well, that don't sound like a welcome. If they had guys like those I noted earlier, it would be a win win but it not gonna happen

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:48 pm

George Blanda, Daryle Lamonica!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:48 pm
George Blanda, Daryle Lamonica!
I wonder if they would even let Blanda play in the current NFL. He did have that deformed foot that could be construed as an advantage. But then again he could claim discrimination. It would be a real quandary that Fox News would be uncertain about.....they'd probably wait until somebody make a sexual faux pas. Fuck that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:27 am

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:56 pm
I wonder if they would even let Blanda play in the current NFL. He did have that deformed foot that could be construed as an advantage. But then again he could claim discrimination. It would be a real quandary that Fox News would be uncertain about.....they'd probably wait until somebody make a sexual faux pas. Fuck that.
:?:
George Blanda, placekicker and QB. My Mom, just 4 years younger than him, loved and was inspired by Blanda.

Are you thinking of Tom Dempsey?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 am

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:27 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:56 pm
:?:
George Blanda, placekicker and QB. My Mom, just 4 years younger than him, loved and was inspired by Blanda.

Are you thinking of Tom Dempsey?

Opps! My mistake. How gauche of me.....their names aren't even similar

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 am

Anybody catch the opener of the AAF last night?
Na, me neither.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 807748002/

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:29 pm

O Really wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 am
Anybody catch the opener of the AAF last night?
Na, me neither.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 807748002/
Hmm, maybe next week..
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/big-win-aa ... 03810.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:40 am

Bob Costas says he was removed from Super Bowl broadcast due to comments on concussions, CTE in NFL

Yeah, I still watch, but I don't give any money to the NFL or college ball in any way.

Comment:
They'll forgive you for being wrong, but they won't forgive you for being right -- Old workplace saying.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:10 pm

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft charged with solicitation of prostitution: Police

They should cut Kraft some slack, all of his blow-up dolls were deflated.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:46 pm

While I don't think what he did should be illegal in the first place, it is funny for somebody like Kraft to get busted for the same type of charge they hang on the riff-raff. It'll be interesting to see if his pal Trump, who probably told Kraft he was welcome to "grab them by the pussy" has any pull with the local Dolphin-fan courts.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Not even a giggle? I'm deflated. :(
O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:46 pm
While I don't think what he did should be illegal in the first place, it is funny for somebody like Kraft to get busted for the same type of charge they hang on the riff-raff. It'll be interesting to see if his pal Trump, who probably told Kraft he was welcome to "grab them by the pussy" has any pull with the local Dolphin-fan courts.
Turns out that Kraft is a lifelong Dem that is only personal, not political, friends with POSPOTUS.
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/foot ... -1.2958959
Drat, I was hoping that he is a Repug Trumpette.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Turns out that Kraft is a lifelong Dem that is only personal, not political, friends with POSPOTUS.
Hmmm, I might find that even worse. Political "friends" are at least after something for themselves, but I don't think you could be, or remain, a "personal" friend of Trump without at the minimum giving lip service to his political rantings. After all, many of us thought (wished, hoped) that Trump the candidate was largely an act and Trump the person - or certainly Trump the President* - would be different. Not true. So the person Kraft claims as a "personal friend" is the lyin' cheatin' cold dead beating, two-timing and double dealing mean mistreating asshole that is the titular head of the vast wasteland formerly known as the United States.

BTW, you can assume a giggle. On a related note, Lady O and I were walking in a park nearby and a guy was starting to drive away with a football underneath the car. I asked him if it was his, and he said it was. So I picked up the ball to hand to him, and found it only about half-inflated. I said, hey, you play with a Brady-ball. He sort of chucked, said thanks, and drove off - which is when I noticed the Mass plates and New England sticker. :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:16 pm

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:15 pm
Hmmm, I might find that even worse. Political "friends" are at least after something for themselves, but I don't think you could be, or remain, a "personal" friend of Trump without at the minimum giving lip service to his political rantings. After all, many of us thought (wished, hoped) that Trump the candidate was largely an act and Trump the person - or certainly Trump the President* - would be different. Not true. So the person Kraft claims as a "personal friend" is the lyin' cheatin' cold dead beating, two-timing and double dealing mean mistreating asshole that is the titular head of the vast wasteland formerly known as the United States.

BTW, you can assume a giggle. On a related note, Lady O and I were walking in a park nearby and a guy was starting to drive away with a football underneath the car. I asked him if it was his, and he said it was. So I picked up the ball to hand to him, and found it only about half-inflated. I said, hey, you play with a Brady-ball. He sort of chucked, said thanks, and drove off - which is when I noticed the Mass plates and New England sticker. :lol:
:D :thumbup: He must not have known about SYG in FL. You're lucky.

That article is from 1/29/17. Idk the status of their relationship now. If I imagine myself filthy rich, am half drunk and try very, very hard MAYBE I can imagine that POSPOTUS was an interesting social contact at one time, but real world me never would have been friends with him, as you say.

Unintentionally accurate headline?

President Trump 'surprised' long-time friend and Patriots owner Robert Kraft was charged in Florida prostitution ring

Surprised that he was charged, not surprised that he did it?

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:46 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:51 pm

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/foot ... -1.2958959
Drat, I was hoping that he is a Repug Trumpette.
Update: "Kraft also donated more than $1 million to Trump’s inaugural committee."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:56 pm

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:46 pm
Update: "Kraft also donated more than $1 million to Trump’s inaugural committee."
Thanks, I didn't know, bastard. Throw away the key.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:56 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:46 pm
Thanks, I didn't know, bastard. Throw away the key.
Well, it's not a charge that's going to get him tossed in the clink - at least unless he starts Roger Stone-ing. But seeing him having to do 100 hours of "community service" in Dolphin country would be pretty gratifying. Just dreaming - I'm sure they'd come up with some deal for fine or some hocus-pocus "service" in MA.

There are a lot of Patriot fans around here - so many there's a sports bar "The Foxboro Tavern" http://www.foxborotavern.com/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:11 pm

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm
Well, it's not a charge that's going to get him tossed in the clink - at least unless he starts Roger Stone-ing. But seeing him having to do 100 hours of "community service" in Dolphin country would be pretty gratifying. Just dreaming - I'm sure they'd come up with some deal for fine or some hocus-pocus "service" in MA....
It's Palm Beach County, so he can't be sentenced to pick up trash around the Dolphins' stadium, darn.