Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

A properly run conservative forum with conservative mods. ;)
Note: Conservatives abandoned this due to the need to ban everyone they disagree with.
Contact the admin if you would like to moderate this forum. The admin is more than willing to change images and theme as you see fit.
Post Reply
User avatar
bannination
Captain
Posts: 4531
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Hendersonville
Contact:

Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by bannination » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:36 pm

http://mashable.com/2014/04/08/carbon-d ... l-warming/

These guys must think we're idiots. 800,000 years? The earth is only 6000 years old. What a bunch of morons.

User avatar
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 am
Location: Southeast of Disorder

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by Boatrocker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:41 pm

I ain't never heared a real answer to this: If theres so much co2 in the air, how come it don't sink down to the surface of the earth and kill us all? its heavier than air!
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken, July 26, 1920, in The Baltimore Evening Sun

User avatar
rstrong
Captain
Posts: 5889
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by rstrong » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Boatrocker wrote:If theres so much co2 in the air, how come it don't sink down to the surface of the earth and kill us all? its heavier than air!
In volcanic areas where CO2 seeps from the ground in relatively high levels, without the dispersing effects of wind, it can collect in sheltered/pocketed locations below average ground level, causing animals and people to be suffocated. But only for a short while before it mixes with the other air.

Now, propane-powered vehicles are banned from many multi-level parking lots. Propane is MUCH heavier than air, and propane leaking from a vehicle will settle in the basement levels of the building.

Carbon dioxide on the other hand is only a bit heavier than air. Brownian motion causes it to mix with the other molecules in the air, and it diffuses in all directions with no tendency to un-mix. The one gravity of force that acts on all molecules in air at sea level is insufficient to overcome the kinetic forces due to collision between molecules. A molecule that gets a strong bump from below will be knocked upwards, against the weaker force of gravity. And that's not counting wind and other things that mix the air.

If you could increase gravity sufficiently, CO2 would un-mix and settle just like propane. Likewise at one gravity, only a slight wind is needed to disperse propane.

User avatar
bannination
Captain
Posts: 4531
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Hendersonville
Contact:

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by bannination » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:56 pm

rstrong wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:If theres so much co2 in the air, how come it don't sink down to the surface of the earth and kill us all? its heavier than air!
In volcanic areas where CO2 seeps from the ground in relatively high levels, without the dispersing effects of wind, it can collect in sheltered/pocketed locations below average ground level, causing animals and people to be suffocated. But only for a short while before it mixes with the other air.

Now, propane-powered vehicles are banned from many multi-level parking lots. Propane is MUCH heavier than air, and propane leaking from a vehicle will settle in the basement levels of the building.

Carbon dioxide on the other hand is only a bit heavier than air. Brownian motion causes it to mix with the other molecules in the air, and it diffuses in all directions with no tendency to un-mix. The one gravity of force that acts on all molecules in air at sea level is insufficient to overcome the kinetic forces due to collision between molecules. A molecule that gets a strong bump from below will be knocked upwards, against the weaker force of gravity. And that's not counting wind and other things that mix the air.

If you could increase gravity sufficiently, CO2 would un-mix and settle just like propane. Likewise at one gravity, only a slight wind is needed to disperse propane.
Ban the lib!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
rstrong
Captain
Posts: 5889
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by rstrong » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:10 pm

Oops; science. Sorry.

CO2 was settling down to the surface of the earth and killing all of God's creatures. So Ronald Reagan gave all those angels traditionally dancing on the head of a pin day jobs, sticking a CO2 molecule under each arm and carrying them to the top of the atmosphere.

It's in Revelations.

User avatar
bannination
Captain
Posts: 4531
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Hendersonville
Contact:

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by bannination » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Vrede wrote:Forget his politics, ban his over-educated inability to get sarcasm in this Conservative Forum.
He'll die soon enough in that Canadian health care system. Talk about death panels.

User avatar
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 am
Location: Southeast of Disorder

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by Boatrocker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:06 am

Vrede wrote:Forget his politics, ban his over-educated inability to get sarcasm in this Conservative Forum.
Well, I wasn't gonna bash the Canadian, eh?
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken, July 26, 1920, in The Baltimore Evening Sun

User avatar
bannination
Captain
Posts: 4531
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Hendersonville
Contact:

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by bannination » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Vrede wrote:Why not? Heavier than air CO2 is such a problem for us because it sinks here from above in Canada. Plus, our winters are cold because all our warm air rises to Canada. If it was part of the US like God meant it to be we wouldn't have these problems.
No problem, we'll just invade those assholes when we got low on oxygen and take it back. Don't tread on us.

User avatar
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 am
Location: Southeast of Disorder

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by Boatrocker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:00 pm

America! Fuck, Yeah!!
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken, July 26, 1920, in The Baltimore Evening Sun

User avatar
rstrong
Captain
Posts: 5889
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by rstrong » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:26 pm

bannination wrote:No problem, we'll just invade those assholes when we got low on oxygen and take it back. Don't tread on us.
Is *THAT* what the 1775 and 1812 invasions were about?

It makes sense. Oxygen was discovered in 1772 by Carl Wilhelm Scheele, published in
his Treatise on Air and Fire in 1775. The timing fits remarkably well.

Oh. Science again. Sorry.

User avatar
bannination
Captain
Posts: 4531
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Hendersonville
Contact:

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by bannination » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:48 pm

rstrong wrote:
bannination wrote:No problem, we'll just invade those assholes when we got low on oxygen and take it back. Don't tread on us.
Is *THAT* what the 1775 and 1812 invasions were about?

It makes sense. Oxygen was discovered in 1772 by Carl Wilhelm Scheele, published in
his Treatise on Air and Fire in 1775. The timing fits remarkably well.

Oh. Science again. Sorry.
Science? You mean liberal nonsense.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3525
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by neoplacebo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:59 pm

It's all my fault; for the past twenty seven years or so I huff a massive dose of CO2 and a pretty impressive amount of whipped cream every single day; sometime more than once a day. Sorry.

Darth Fife
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by Darth Fife » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:30 pm

You folks do know what PPM means, don't you.

For those of you from Rio Linda, I'll explain - it stands for parts per million. That means for every one million molecules of "air" you have 400 molecules of carbon dioxide.

Or to scale things down an make them more understandable, let's divide everything by 100.

Okay, so we have a filled to capacity 10,000 person stadium. 4 of those people represent CO2. The average used to be 3 people. And that one person is what is responsible for "Global Warming".

:roll:

User avatar
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 am
Location: Southeast of Disorder

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by Boatrocker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Way to manipulate decimals. Now discuss the actual effects of a 33% increase in CO2 levels.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken, July 26, 1920, in The Baltimore Evening Sun

Darth Fife
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by Darth Fife » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:44 pm

Boatrocker wrote:Way to manipulate decimals. Now discuss the actual effects of a 33% increase in CO2 levels.
You're pretty good at manipulating numbers yourself!

Just off-hand, I'd say the plants will love it!

Maybe you can explain how such a miniscule increase in a gas which is, not a pollutant and is needed to sustain life on this planet can cause the climate to change. Especially when things like Solar energy and water vapor content (i.e. Cloud Cover) have a proven and far greater impact on the Global Climate.

And, who is it that says the Earth's climate isn't supposed to change, even if man is the cause of it?

User avatar
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 am
Location: Southeast of Disorder

Re: Carbon Dioxide Levels Climb Into Uncharted Territory

Unread post by Boatrocker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:30 am

Darth Fife wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:Way to manipulate decimals. Now discuss the actual effects of a 33% increase in CO2 levels.
You're pretty good at manipulating numbers yourself!

Just off-hand, I'd say the plants will love it!

Maybe you can explain how such a miniscule increase in a gas which is, not a pollutant and is needed to sustain life on this planet can cause the climate to change. Especially when things like Solar energy and water vapor content (i.e. Cloud Cover) have a proven and far greater impact on the Global Climate.

And, who is it that says the Earth's climate isn't supposed to change, even if man is the cause of it?
That's all just opinion without data for support. Since you have disputed the vast majority of scientific findings, perhaps you could offer some credentials and/or science to support your assertions.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken, July 26, 1920, in The Baltimore Evening Sun

Post Reply