You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

A conservative forum.
PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by PeacefulPartier »

O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:36 pm
PeacefulPartier wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 pm
The more conservative a state is, the less economic inequality there is.
Well, that would be nice if the theory held. At least when we got a functioning president s/he could create an action plan. But again, the problem isn't in your data, but in your conclusions. Your theory sounds good on average, but then you've got that pesky bright red Iowa, sitting down there in #47 in your list. Now if your data showed what specific things the red states did that was different from the blue states with regard to economic standing, maybe we'd have something. Averages are fun, but having one foot in ice and one in boiling water does not average out to comfort.
Iowa is a purple state per Wiki.

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by PeacefulPartier »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:39 am
PeacefulPartier wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:12 pm
Nothing wrong with your data, PP, but it was your own shaky conclusion, not Wallethub's. Your statistics prof may have failed to mention that correlation does not prove causation.
Yeah, the old "correlation does not prove causation" fail safe. Except, correlation is the corner stone of all medical studies. In this case, the first set of data that shows a difference when 50 states +DC had a small difference. As the dedication to each ideology increased in intensity, the gap widened. What that shows is that there is a clear causation. The more conservative a state is, the less economic inequality there is.
No, correlation is the starting point for experiments and other methods of determining cause. Correlation by itself is no proof of cause.

Unless you happen to be a Nazi or Commie.

Are you?
If your argument wasn't weak, you wouldn't feel the need to revert to name calling. As for correlation and causation, it is true that if the two variables are unrelated like dog owners are more likely to have blond hair then correlation does not equal causation. But, in the case of economics, the political theory is directly responsible for economy and therefore disparities can be reasonably linked to the voting history.

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 12895
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by O Really »

I found an interesting article. Seems since Republicans took over in Florida, the state has by far led the contiguous states in shark attacks. In fact, out of the top 8 states with the most shark attacks, 6 of them are led by Republicans. Therefore, Republican leadership causes shark attacks.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 25635
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am
I found an interesting article. Seems since Republicans took over in Florida, the state has by far led the contiguous states in shark attacks. In fact, out of the top 8 states with the most shark attacks, 6 of them are led by Republicans. Therefore, Republican leadership causes shark attacks.
Bastards.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 12895
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:18 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am
I found an interesting article. Seems since Republicans took over in Florida, the state has by far led the contiguous states in shark attacks. In fact, out of the top 8 states with the most shark attacks, 6 of them are led by Republicans. Therefore, Republican leadership causes shark attacks.
Bastards.
Here's some more commentary on PP's topic. Seems of the top ten "worst" income equality states, almost all of them are high population states with major urban centers. Among the ten "best" states are mostly small population, rural type states. Montana was shown at #30 - really pretty good, but a lot of people are moving into Montana and now it's shown as the most rapidly worsening equality state. My own conclusion - as logically valid as PP's is that increased number of people cause inequity, thus the way to fix it is to get people to move out of your state. (that wasn't a conclusion from the article, but then neither was blue/red government.) :lol:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/12/us-stat ... ality.html

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 5964
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by neoplacebo »

To my way of thinking, education levels would be much more indicative of racist attitudes and/or economic disparity than political orientation. But then again, there are more than a few allegedly intelligent educated people who are right wing nutjobs, racists, and worshipers of corporate welfare. Anyone who cares to can peruse the government's own statistics to see that the US economy does better under Democrats than Republicans.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 25635
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:28 pm
Here's some more commentary on PP's topic. Seems of the top ten "worst" income equality states, almost all of them are high population states with major urban centers. Among the ten "best" states are mostly small population, rural type states. Montana was shown at #30 - really pretty good, but a lot of people are moving into Montana and now it's shown as the most rapidly worsening equality state. My own conclusion - as logically valid as PP's is that increased number of people cause inequity, thus the way to fix it is to get people to move out of your state. (that wasn't a conclusion from the article, but then neither was blue/red government.) :lol:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/12/us-stat ... ality.html
Not only is there a urban-rural separation that went sailing over PP's head, but the map from your link also shows the fallacy in her/his averaging.

Image

My, look at those regional differences. Anyone want to cheer for the red South? Also:
Income inequality is a growing issue not only in the U.S., but across the globe. A 2017 report from global charity Oxfam found that the richest 1 percent of people in the world control 82 percent of the total wealth. Put another way, just 42 people own the same amount of wealth as the poorest 50 percent of the global population....
There are a couple of relevant conclusions contributing to income inequality from this which escaped PP.

First, this is a direct result of con policy pursued by both parties over the last 40+ years, more aggressively and overtly by Repugs.

Then, it's no surprise that billionaires are concentrated in NY, CT, LA (oil), CA & FL (purple, retirees). This is mostly a sign of strong economies and desirability to the wealthy.

Finally, the map showing the rapidly worsening equality states are largely rural and scenic, whether red, purple (like MT) or blue. People with money are flowing there.

This is why I've made the choice to mute PP. We've each in our own way cautioned PP that s/he was muddling correlation with causation. As usual, PP remains impervious to reason and is more useful for entertainment than for provoking serious thoughtfulness and discussion.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by PeacefulPartier »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am
I found an interesting article. Seems since Republicans took over in Florida, the state has by far led the contiguous states in shark attacks. In fact, out of the top 8 states with the most shark attacks, 6 of them are led by Republicans. Therefore, Republican leadership causes shark attacks.
Oh no no no...don't forget, that was global warming. https://time.com/4375657/shark-attacks-climate-change/

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Commander
Posts: 3287
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am
I found an interesting article. Seems since Republicans took over in Florida, the state has by far led the contiguous states in shark attacks. In fact, out of the top 8 states with the most shark attacks, 6 of them are led by Republicans. Therefore, Republican leadership causes shark attacks.
Oh no no no...don't forget, that was global warming. https://time.com/4375657/shark-attacks-climate-change/
Proving O'Really's point, since Republicans are mostly responsible for global warming.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 5964
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Here's a wealthy white woman from the state of WA demonstrating how she is not a racist person. Who wants to bet she belongs to the trump cult of lies and ignorance? I'll take that bet.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-breaks ... 10554.html

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 25635
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Trumpette = Racist

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:29 am
I don't know where Missouri fits into PP's hypothesis, but this woman would logically be quite wealthy and not racist. I anticipate PP countering that this particular instance is just the Missouri Compromise. :lol:
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/kkk-woma ... 06170.html
Woman Who Praised KKK Apologizes, Vows To Never Wave Confederate Flag Again

The Missouri woman who went viral for waving a Confederate flag, praising the Ku Klux Klan and vowing to teach hate to her grandchildren while at a Black Lives Matter protest in Branson is apologizing.

“I’m so, so sorry,” Kathy Jenkins told Ozarks First. “I mean, if it would help for me to stand with Black Lives Matter, I absolutely would do that.”

Jenkins said she “blacked out” during the event and doesn’t remember what she said as anti-racism protesters gathered outside a store that sells Confederate merchandise....

Jenkins said she does not support the KKK.

“I wasn’t saying I’m KKK or for the KKK,” she told Ozarks First. “I was mocking them because I don’t like being called a racist.
:roll:
She also said she lost her job and left Branson over the incident ― and promised to never wave a Confederate flag again.

“I didn’t understand that the Confederate flag meant hate,” she told Ozarks First. “I don’t understand the whole history of the Confederate flag, but I’m learning.”
:---P
At least some of the protesters aren’t buying her apology.
Gee, I wonder why.
... Dixie Outfitters, the store at the center of the demonstrations, called the protesters “thugs” who “hate our country.”

The store is owned by a couple with a history of KKK support....

City leaders in Branson, a major tourist hub, have had a mixed reaction to the events.

The Associated Press reports that the city’s aldermen were asked to denounce the KKK at a meeting on Tuesday. Two did so, two were silent and one responded by saying police need more support.
:obscene-birdiered:
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

User avatar
1 CAT FAN
Ensign
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

‘Protester’ pummels senior citizen trying to protect Columbus statue before tables turn: ‘Now, you want the cops!?’

A Latino “protester” broke a loudspeaker over the head of a senior citizen during a scuffle over the removal of a Christopher Columbus statue in Wooster Square Park in New Haven, Connecticut.

Police intervened to deescalate the situation after “protesters” clashed with members of the Italian-American Heritage Foundation, who were protesting the removal of the statue.

The Columbus statue has stood in Wooster Square Park for 125 years — including during the eight-year presidency of Barack Obama — when Black Lives Matter apparently didn’t find it offensive.

In the harrowing video, a Latino man assaults an old white man with a loudspeaker and wrestles him to the ground. The assailant is wearing a T-shirt with the words “White Lives Matter Too Much.”

The attacker apparently believes that white lives should matter less, which may explain why he beat an old white man over the head.

Ironically, a police officer eventually intervened to protect the Latino assailant from the angry crowd after he assaulted the senior citizen.

One man in the crowd yells at the attacker as he cowers behind the police officer: “Now you want the cops! NOW you want them, huh?”

Many Italian-Americans revere the statue of Christopher Columbus, saying it’s a point of pride for Italians, who were discriminated against when they first immigrated to America before achieving success.

“We just want everybody else to respect our ethnic group as well,” New Haven resident Louis Pane told NBC Connecticut. “It’s about coming together as one in the future to all live in harmony and all have equality.”

The comedic irony of the assailant seeking the protection of a local cop underscores the stupidity of the left’s “Defund the Police” movement.
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/06/25 ... ops-938857

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 12895
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by O Really »

So clearly PP's conclusion is not supported by the WalletHub data, at least not insofar as a causative relationship. But let's not quibble over accuracy or fuzzy thinking and assume for the sake of discussion that cities with Dem mayors or states with Dem-majority legislatures have worse public schools. Exactly what would PP set forth as the specific things/types of things that the Dems do to make the schools bad, or specifically what do the Republicans do to make their schools better? It would pretty much have to be within the areas of funding, administration selection, teacher selection, or curriculum, right?

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by PeacefulPartier »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:06 pm
PeacefulPartier wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am
I found an interesting article. Seems since Republicans took over in Florida, the state has by far led the contiguous states in shark attacks. In fact, out of the top 8 states with the most shark attacks, 6 of them are led by Republicans. Therefore, Republican leadership causes shark attacks.
Oh no no no...don't forget, that was global warming. https://time.com/4375657/shark-attacks-climate-change/
Proving O'Really's point, since Republicans are mostly responsible for global warming.
Because democrats don't drive cars or use electricity?

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 12895
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by O Really »

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:28 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:06 pm
PeacefulPartier wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm


Because democrats don't drive cars or use electricity?
Oh, Democrats definitely drive cars and use electricity and contribute to environmental contamination. But Democratic members of Congress and Democratic state legislators don't vote against bills intended to address those issues, and certainly don't repeal existing environmental standards. Democrats, even from their cars or inside their electrified houses don't deny that there are environmental issues. The cars that Democrats and Republicans are driving around now exude way less pollution than those driven 30 years ago, mostly due to Democrats. Republicans, in their anti-regulation frenzy, would have been happy to stay in, say, 1975.

Image

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Commander
Posts: 3287
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Democrats will also be more likely to embrace new technologies, such as electric cars and solar for the home.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 12895
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by O Really »

To be fair-ish, it is true that the EPA was begun under Nixon, but unfortunately there are no Republicans as good as Nixon anymore.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Commander
Posts: 3287
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:51 pm
To be fair-ish, it is true that the EPA was begun under Nixon, but unfortunately there are no Republicans as good as Nixon anymore.
Well this is a little scary. I can't tell if that was sarcasm.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

User avatar
O Really
Vice admiral
Posts: 12895
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:21 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:51 pm
To be fair-ish, it is true that the EPA was begun under Nixon, but unfortunately there are no Republicans as good as Nixon anymore.
Well this is a little scary. I can't tell if that was sarcasm.
Might have been a bit snarky toward any Republicans hanging around, but I only wish it was sarcasm. Nixon was indeed a crook, and he was a total sleaze bag for his handling of the Vietnam war. But past that, the military draft ended during his presidency. "Nixon's visit to China in 1972 eventually led to diplomatic relations between the two nations, and he initiated détente and the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty with the Soviet Union the same year. His administration generally transferred power from federal control to state control. He imposed wage and price controls for 90 days, enforced desegregation of Southern schools, established the Environmental Protection Agency, and began the War on Cancer. He also presided over the Apollo 11 moon landing, which signaled the end of the moon race."

Any current Republicans that would/could do any of that?

Not related, but I happened to think of another Republican.
Reagan: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall"
Trump: "I will build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me --and I'll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words."

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 25635
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: You Must Be Racist To Be Liberal.

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:35 pm
Might have been a bit snarky toward any Republicans hanging around, but I only wish it was sarcasm. Nixon was indeed a crook, and he was a total sleaze bag for his handling of the Vietnam war. But past that, the military draft ended during his presidency. "Nixon's visit to China in 1972 eventually led to diplomatic relations between the two nations, and he initiated détente and the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty with the Soviet Union the same year. His administration generally transferred power from federal control to state control. He imposed wage and price controls for 90 days, enforced desegregation of Southern schools, established the Environmental Protection Agency, and began the War on Cancer. He also presided over the Apollo 11 moon landing, which signaled the end of the moon race."

Any current Republicans that would/could do any of that?

Not related, but I happened to think of another Republican.
Reagan: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall"
Trump: "I will build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me --and I'll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words."
Clean Water and Air Acts, too. Not counting being an asshole and Vietnam, most Dems would be hard-pressed to match Nixon on policy.

Mr. Biden, tear down this wall!
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

Post Reply