ESPN and sports media

Post Reply
User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 6234
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

ESPN and sports media

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:12 am

I guess I know why the sports media was able to dictate kickoff time. It was the only way to get 3 games per channel. I miss the more staggered kickoffs at 11, 12, and 1 - there was always another game to watch when yours went to halftime.

But kickoff time wouldn't be that big of a deal, if they would schedule games so I can watch the damn kickoff.

They employ hundreds of talkers who can fill any dead time with bs, trivia, commentary and stories that fans will watch between games, but no, not even as the networks fill their stables with the best sports talkers and all the supporting infrastructure in place to fill any and all upcoming voids between games, did anyone stop to consider that the time slot allowed for these structured kickoff times should be adequate to include entire games.

Hey ESPN, it's as long as 4 hours, not 3.5. You can dictate start times but not the end, and then there's overtime and it really sucks to watch the end of some game you have zero interest in watching while missing the beginning of your game.

Yesterday I missed more than the coin toss,
I missed the kickoff to Miss State
I missed the Delay of game penalty on 1st down
I missed the 16 yard sack on 3rd down
I missed the Delay of game penalty on 4th down
I missed the punt

And then my game - in progress - we had the ball on about their 40. I had no idea how we got there, but enjoyed watching Boobee score and take out Bully - on what I now know was our 1st play.
Glad that Bully is okay


https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... rn-player/
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 19599
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: ESPN and sports media

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:18 am

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:12 am
... And then my game - in progress - we had the ball on about their 40. I had no idea how we got there, but enjoyed watching Boobee score and take out Bully - on what I now know was our 1st play.
Glad that Bully is okay

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... rn-player/
The impact would have been less severe if the keeper had let go of the leash.

Bully looked ready to bite, good thing the Tiger moved away quickly. Look at all of those other Tigers that raced over to defend the Tiger from Bully. ;)
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 6234
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: ESPN and sports media

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:46 am

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:18 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:12 am
... And then my game - in progress - we had the ball on about their 40. I had no idea how we got there, but enjoyed watching Boobee score and take out Bully - on what I now know was our 1st play.
Glad that Bully is okay

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... rn-player/
The impact would have been less severe if the keeper had let go of the leash.

Bully looked ready to bite, good thing the Tiger moved away quickly. Look at all of those other Tigers that raced over to defend the Tiger from Bully. ;)

Auburn players and bulldogs have a past

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/16584533

And with dogs in general
https://youtu.be/uSpfyIaS6wE


My apologies to ESPN. I have been informed that the punt was shown - while I was trying to find the game on my computer - which I wouldn't have been doing if ESPN had allowed enough time for the prior game.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 19599
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: ESPN and sports media

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:24 am

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:46 am
Auburn players and bulldogs have a past
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/16584533

GA dogs hate the color blue.

And with dogs in general
https://youtu.be/uSpfyIaS6wE

Ejected for unnecessary ruff-ness.

My apologies to ESPN. I have been informed that the punt was shown - while I was trying to find the game on my computer - which I wouldn't have been doing if ESPN had allowed enough time for the prior game.
Not arguing with you, just interesting facts.

My ESPN schedule had the earlier game only lasting 3 hours :roll: , which never happens, and College Football Scoreboard filling the 1830-1900 ET slot.

Here, that earlier game was Iowa State at Baylor. I looked to see if it was a blowout, which would give you even more reason to be outraged.
http://scores.nbcsports.com/cfb/boxscor ... final=true
Instead, Iowa State scored 3 TDs in the 4th quarter to take the 21-20 lead with 3:45 left :thumbup: . Then, Baylor won with a 38 yd FG with 0:21 left :thumbdown: . Any fault lies with the scheduling, as you say, not with the decision to stick with it.

Not sure how often this happens. It feels like 3.5 hours is usually sufficient, but I'm not as committed a fan as you are. Maybe I miss opening series all the time.
Speaking of Rudy, WTF?

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 6234
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: ESPN and sports media

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:24 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:46 am
Auburn players and bulldogs have a past
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/16584533

GA dogs hate the color blue.

And with dogs in general
https://youtu.be/uSpfyIaS6wE

Ejected for unnecessary ruff-ness.

My apologies to ESPN. I have been informed that the punt was shown - while I was trying to find the game on my computer - which I wouldn't have been doing if ESPN had allowed enough time for the prior game.
Not arguing with you, just interesting facts.

My ESPN schedule had the earlier game only lasting 3 hours :roll: , which never happens, and College Football Scoreboard filling the 1830-1900 ET slot.

Here, that earlier game was Iowa State at Baylor. I looked to see if it was a blowout, which would give you even more reason to be outraged.
http://scores.nbcsports.com/cfb/boxscor ... final=true
Instead, Iowa State scored 3 TDs in the 4th quarter to take the 21-20 lead with 3:45 left :thumbup: . Then, Baylor won with a 38 yd FG with 0:21 left :thumbdown: . Any fault lies with the scheduling, as you say, not with the decision to stick with it.

Not sure how often this happens. It feels like 3.5 hours is usually sufficient, but I'm not as committed a fan as you are. Maybe I miss opening series all the time.

I hadn't realized they only allowed 3 hours for a game. They really need to study up on the length of football games.

I agree that 3.5 is "usually" sufficient, but that's my point, it isn't always enough and they have all these people on sets primed and ready to fill time. What could possibly be wrong with 4 hour time slots?
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

Post Reply