The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 5742
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Thu May 02, 2019 6:34 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:05 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:28 pm
I read about a major religion that approves of selling sketchy food to "others", giving rise to the familiar old song lyric, "If you can't eat it, sell it to the other side".

I've often wondered what other sketchy products they sell.
Religion, for one. :D

I was thinking more along the lines of war in the mid east.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
1 CAT FAN
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Fri May 03, 2019 7:41 pm

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:53 am
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 pm
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:24 pm
Why do YOU hate God?
bannination wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:30 pm
Why do you hate the one true FSM?
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:20 am
My wife and I saw one of those just last night, our grandson flung it from his plate across the dinner table.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:29 am
Why is YOUR grandson such a hater?
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:48 am
He and I had a little laugh, him more so than me, when it didn't stay in flight. Now, the wife had a different reaction.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:12 pm
So, you do admit to seeing mythical creatures and say it runs in the family.
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:38 pm
We call it a spaghetti dinner, didn't know you fellas saw it as something to worship.
bannination wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:50 pm
Oh it's much like Christians who drink his blood and eat his flesh. Sounds like you're worshiping FSM after all.
We did bless the spaghetti before we ate it.
“O Really” wrote:You have the power equal to a God?
My grandson did give the spaghetti the opportunity to get away.
Our Pomeranian sheltered the spaghetti when it could not maintain flight.
"Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3370
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 am

Saw a story this morning that a few dozen people are still quarantined on the Church of Scientology ship because of measles. I wonder if they're praying or passing snakes around or drinking poison while quarantined......probably the best thing for them is to consider that ship their own ark and just sail off into the sunset on it. It's only fair.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 17924
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun May 12, 2019 9:38 am

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 am
Saw a story this morning that a few dozen people are still quarantined on the Church of Scientology ship because of measles. I wonder if they're praying or passing snakes around or drinking poison while quarantined......probably the best thing for them is to consider that ship their own ark and just sail off into the sunset on it. It's only fair.
Seems like unvaccinated Scientologists - I can't find that the church is anti-vax - should be booted for being anti-science.
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 17924
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 pm

rstrong wrote:
Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 am
At least some Christian congregations are taking even the more inconvenient Old Testament decrees seriously:
In his March 23 sermon (according to Huffington Post), Phoenix, Arizona, pastor Steven Anderson of the Faithful World Baptist Church explained in detail why women in the congregation must refrain from speaking during services. Citing 1 Timothy 2:11 and 1 Corinthians 14, Anderson said the woman should learn only "in silence." "Now obviously, before the service begins," he conceded, "there's chatting and talking going on that's perfectly legitimate. (And when) we all sing praises to God, of course the ladies should also lift up their voices. But when it's learning time, it's silence time (for females)." (Also, he said, since the comment "Amen" means "That's true," it would be inappropriate for females to utter it.)
- Huffington Post, 3-26-2014, via News of the Weird
Ireland Bars American Pastor Accused of Hate Speech

The government of Ireland has barred an Arizona-based Baptist pastor accused of anti-Semitic and homophobic hate speech from entering the country, invoking for the first time a 1999 immigration act that allows such exclusion orders on grounds of national security or public policy....

Pastor Anderson’s Faithful Word Baptist Church has been labeled a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and by the Anti-Defamation League. He first gained prominence outside his ministry, which is in a Tempe, Ariz., strip mall, when he announced in 2009 that he hated President Barack Obama and prayed for his death. He has called for the United States government to exterminate all gay people and welcomed the murder of 49 people in the mass shooting at the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., in 2016.

“The good news is that there’s 50 less pedophiles in this world, because, you know, these homosexuals are a bunch of disgusting perverts and pedophiles,” Pastor Anderson said in a video he posted online. “That’s who was a victim here, are a bunch of just disgusting homosexuals at a gay bar, O.K.?”

A Holocaust denier, he has claimed that the Jewish Messiah is the Antichrist, that the Talmud is blasphemous and that Jews believe that it is not a sin to cheat gentiles. His church, which he founded in 2005, rejects abortion and all forms of birth control.

Pastor Anderson announced on Twitter in March that he was planning to preach in Dublin on May 26 but gave no further details....

Pastor Anderson was banned from the United Kingdom in 2016 and has also been denied entry to or deported from Botswana, Canada, Jamaica, Malawi and South Africa....

Pastor Anderson had also announced events in Amsterdam and Stockholm for later this month, but on May 1 the Dutch government arranged to have him barred from entering the Schengen free travel area, which includes 26 European countries, including Sweden and the Netherlands....
:---P
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Captain
Posts: 5742
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sat May 18, 2019 8:57 am

Vrede too wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 pm
rstrong wrote:
Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 am
At least some Christian congregations are taking even the more inconvenient Old Testament decrees seriously:
In his March 23 sermon (according to Huffington Post), Phoenix, Arizona, pastor Steven Anderson of the Faithful World Baptist Church explained in detail why women in the congregation must refrain from speaking during services. Citing 1 Timothy 2:11 and 1 Corinthians 14, Anderson said the woman should learn only "in silence." "Now obviously, before the service begins," he conceded, "there's chatting and talking going on that's perfectly legitimate. (And when) we all sing praises to God, of course the ladies should also lift up their voices. But when it's learning time, it's silence time (for females)." (Also, he said, since the comment "Amen" means "That's true," it would be inappropriate for females to utter it.)
- Huffington Post, 3-26-2014, via News of the Weird
Ireland Bars American Pastor Accused of Hate Speech

The government of Ireland has barred an Arizona-based Baptist pastor accused of anti-Semitic and homophobic hate speech from entering the country, invoking for the first time a 1999 immigration act that allows such exclusion orders on grounds of national security or public policy....

Pastor Anderson’s Faithful Word Baptist Church has been labeled a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and by the Anti-Defamation League. He first gained prominence outside his ministry, which is in a Tempe, Ariz., strip mall, when he announced in 2009 that he hated President Barack Obama and prayed for his death. He has called for the United States government to exterminate all gay people and welcomed the murder of 49 people in the mass shooting at the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., in 2016.

“The good news is that there’s 50 less pedophiles in this world, because, you know, these homosexuals are a bunch of disgusting perverts and pedophiles,” Pastor Anderson said in a video he posted online. “That’s who was a victim here, are a bunch of just disgusting homosexuals at a gay bar, O.K.?”

A Holocaust denier, he has claimed that the Jewish Messiah is the Antichrist, that the Talmud is blasphemous and that Jews believe that it is not a sin to cheat gentiles. His church, which he founded in 2005, rejects abortion and all forms of birth control.

Pastor Anderson announced on Twitter in March that he was planning to preach in Dublin on May 26 but gave no further details....

Pastor Anderson was banned from the United Kingdom in 2016 and has also been denied entry to or deported from Botswana, Canada, Jamaica, Malawi and South Africa....

Pastor Anderson had also announced events in Amsterdam and Stockholm for later this month, but on May 1 the Dutch government arranged to have him barred from entering the Schengen free travel area, which includes 26 European countries, including Sweden and the Netherlands....
:---P

"About a year and a half later the church was moved to a strip mall that was also used by Anderson's fire alarm installation business"
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 17924
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat May 18, 2019 10:17 am

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:57 am
"About a year and a half later the church was moved to a strip mall that was also used by Anderson's fire alarm installation business"
Yeah, plenty more weird and ugly there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithful_ ... ist_Church

And here.
http://www.faithfulwordbaptist.org/

Strip mall no longer.

New Church Building (Sept 2012)

Image

Image

Image
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3370
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sat May 18, 2019 12:12 pm

I wonder if that tree growing right up through the ceiling has a religious significance; but I don't wonder very much. From the aerial photo it's evident the tree does not penetrate the roof. I think it should.

User avatar
1 CAT FAN
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Sat May 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Chick-fil-A Executive Explains Restaurant’s ‘Higher Calling’ in Graceful Response to Critics http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2019/may ... to-critics
"Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

User avatar
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3370
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Kingsport TN

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sat May 18, 2019 1:10 pm

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:53 pm
Chick-fil-A Executive Explains Restaurant’s ‘Higher Calling’ in Graceful Response to Critics http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2019/may ... to-critics
In general, it's not good practice to mix religion, of any stripe, with your business. Had they not done so, there never would have been a controversy to start with. So in a sense they are responsible for starting it; the same would have been true if Chick fil a had been a Muslim advocacy business, except I figure the backlash over a Muslim Chick fil a (by "Christians") would have been more severe and would have involved violence like the burning of their outlets. As far as I know, no Christian Chick fil a outlets have been torched, though.

User avatar
1 CAT FAN
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Sat May 18, 2019 1:40 pm

Why Chick-fil-A is America’s most profitable fast-food franchise https://us.businessesforsale.com/us/sea ... -franchise
They're closed on Sunday.
"Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 10560
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by O Really » Sat May 18, 2019 4:38 pm

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:40 pm
Why Chick-fil-A is America’s most profitable fast-food franchise https://us.businessesforsale.com/us/sea ... -franchise
They're closed on Sunday.
You must not have read your own article. They are closed on Sunday, but they're the most profitable fast food franchise in spite of - not because - of that. Basically the same reason why Publix is so popular -"where shopping is a pleasure."

User avatar
1 CAT FAN
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Sat May 18, 2019 4:50 pm

There ya go.
"Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 17924
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonvile, NC

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed May 22, 2019 11:03 am

It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

User avatar
1 CAT FAN
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Wed May 22, 2019 1:02 pm

Christmas dosen't come from a store.
    "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

    User avatar
    O Really
    Captain
    Posts: 10560
    Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

    Re: The Religion Thread

    Unread post by O Really » Wed May 22, 2019 1:31 pm

    1 CAT FAN wrote:
    Wed May 22, 2019 1:02 pm
    Christmas dosen't come from a store.

    True that, but a lot of stuff comes from stores around Christmas time, which of course includes several other holidays.

    User avatar
    Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster
    Posts: 17924
    Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
    Location: Hendersonvile, NC

    Re: The Religion Thread

    Unread post by Vrede too » Wed May 22, 2019 1:41 pm

    "Christmas dosen't come from" saying 'Merry Christmas' or whining about people that don't, either. 45SHOLE made his bed . . .
    It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

    User avatar
    1 CAT FAN
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Posts: 639
    Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:07 pm

    Re: The Religion Thread

    Unread post by 1 CAT FAN » Wed May 22, 2019 2:28 pm

    Then, why the concern, you'll be here celebrating. Sad.
      Image
      "Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

      User avatar
      Leo Lyons
      Ensign
      Posts: 1592
      Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

      Re: The Religion Thread

      Unread post by Leo Lyons » Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 am

      Methinks Christians shouldn't be as concerned about putting "Christ back into Christmas" as they should be about "putting Christ" back into "Christian".

      User avatar
      billy.pilgrim
      Captain
      Posts: 5742
      Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

      Re: The Religion Thread

      Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Thu May 23, 2019 9:28 am

      Leo Lyons wrote:
      Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 am
      Methinks Christians shouldn't be as concerned about putting "Christ back into Christmas" as they should be about "putting Christ" back into "Christian".
      Interesting idea
      George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

      Post Reply