The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Captain

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by O Really » Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 am

I never uderstood why some Christians have a hard time with the concept of having both religious and secular aspects of a holiday. After all, they took some of their "religious" practices from the Pagans before them. And it's not like they don't have secular activities in their churches, what with the daycare centers, schools, bingo...

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Thu May 23, 2019 11:14 am

O Really wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 am
I never uderstood why some Christians have a hard time with the concept of having both religious and secular aspects of a holiday. After all, they took some of their "religious" practices from the Pagans before them. And it's not like they don't have secular activities in their churches, what with the daycare centers, schools, bingo...

Great fun at the Presbyterian Halloween hayride. We also always had a picnic and games on July 4th at Chewacla State Park.
How dare we.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Thu May 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Go Christians!!! Beat Devils!!!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Thu May 23, 2019 3:30 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:19 pm
Go Reds!!! Smash State!!!
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Thu May 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:30 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:19 pm
Go Reds!!! Smash State!!!
:lol: Get head ! Don't hate ! Smile big ! Be great !

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 pm

MS (stopped by fed court), MO, GA and AL pig rapists and incestuous relatives that no woman or girl would ever consent to can now have state-mandated children. Christian cons must be so proud.

Now Florida?

Florida state Representative says God has told him to rewrite abortion bill with no exceptions

Our misogynist swine, who art in heaven . . .

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 pm

I'm thinking all these hard-core right wingers must know they're an endangered species and are trying to wreak as much havoc as possible before they're run off on a rail. They're riding high because of gerrymandering, but they aren't in line with the majority of citizens.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sun May 26, 2019 7:03 am

O Really wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 pm
I'm thinking all these hard-core right wingers must know they're an endangered species and are trying to wreak as much havoc as possible before they're run off on a rail. They're riding high because of gerrymandering, but they aren't in line with the majority of citizens.
I figure it won't be long before TN jumps into this calamity strategy. Actually I'm surprised and temporarily pseudo proud of the state legislature; it's loaded up with full on nutjobs and just a few human normals so it's anybody's guess what they're up to.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun May 26, 2019 7:46 am

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:03 am
O Really wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 pm
I figure it won't be long before TN jumps into this calamity strategy. Actually I'm surprised and temporarily pseudo proud of the state legislature; it's loaded up with full on nutjobs and just a few human normals so it's anybody's guess what they're up to.
I thought I'd already heard something about TN.

Tennessee House of Representatives passes controversial fetal heartbeat bill

Tennessee's fetal heartbeat bill sent to Senate committee for further study

HB0077/SB1236 Actions

Now, your Leg is busy with other stuff.
Glen Casada to resign as speaker in coming weeks

Embattled House Speaker Glen Casada said Tuesday he will resign his leadership position in the coming weeks.

Casada's announcement came less than a day after the House GOP caucus approved a resolution with a 45-24 vote stating it had no confidence in his continued leadership....

News of his pending resignation also came just weeks after a Tennessean investigation found Casada had exchanged sexually charged text messages with Cade Cothren, his former chief of staff, who admitted to using cocaine while working in the legislature's office building.

Cothren also faced scrutiny in media reports for sending racist text messages.

A spokesman for Casada later clarified the Williamson County Republican, who was first elected to the legislature in 2001, will remain in his House seat....

In recent weeks Casada has faced calls for investigations from the U.S. Attorney and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, accusations from one lawmaker that he attempted to influence the outcome of an ethics proceeding and been the subject of a complaint filed with a local district attorney. He also resigned from his job as a veterinary pharmaceutical salesman.

Casada's resignation will make him the shortest serving speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives in more than a century....

With Casada's plan to simply resign from his leadership position and not the General Assembly, he will become the third House lawmaker to remain in office while facing scrutiny for some form of alleged misconduct.

Rep. David Byrd, R-Waynesboro, who earlier this year was appointed by Casada to a subcommittee chairmanship, has faced allegations from three women who say he sexually assaulted them when he was their high school basketball coach in the 1980s.

In April, a Tennessean investigation found Rep. Rick Staples, D-Knoxville, was accused of sexual harassment by a woman visiting the legislature. An internal probe later determined Staples had violated the legislature's harassment policy and he was directed to take "preventative action" and "remedial measures."

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Sun May 26, 2019 1:10 pm

opps! Guess I spoke too soon. I don't hear much about those yahoos unless they have a story on the local news. I did mention they are a clutch of full bore nutjobs with a sparse dash of normal humans. Too bad they can't use that cocaine to spool up some inertia to get something done that makes sense. Marsha Blackburn crawled out from this cesspool of vile stupidity and the stench has followed her to the US Senate. The latest thing here locally is re naming the area to something other than "the Tri Cities" which is what it's been known as since I was a kid. The local pols say it's one of the biggest problems facing the area, which was news to me. I'm going to send in a suggestion they name it Fat City.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:37 pm

New York repeals religious exemption to vaccine requirements for students

:---P :thumbup:

It will stand, there's no religious "right" to imperil the commons, at least not in the public schools that all taxpayers pay for.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:47 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:37 pm
New York repeals religious exemption to vaccine requirements for students

:---P :thumbup:

It will stand, there's no religious "right" to imperil the commons, at least not in the pubic schools that all taxpayers pay for.
"pubic schools"... :lol: :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:49 pm

:oops: Fixed.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:02 pm

I dunno, this could be appropriate to "Religion" or it could be "An Amish Man..." but WTH, Religion was closest.

"Amish man steering a horse-drawn buggy is charged with DUI after sideswiping a car and then claiming one of his seven KIDS were driving"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/am ... &ocid=iehp

Somebody's going to catch hell from the Bishop, I'll bet.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:16 pm

O Really wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:02 pm
I dunno, this could be appropriate to "Religion" or it could be "An Amish Man..." but WTH, Religion was closest....
Or 'Dumb headlines thread'.

Headline: "claiming one of his seven KIDS were driving"
Even despite the correct content: "told police that one of the children was steering the buggy"

I might have gone with the car or beer threads. :D

"they denied it and told them it was their father."

:lol: :---P

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 pm

It could be that the horse just liked that particular car or was dodging a snake. The Amish guy should have gone with the snake; a universal bad juju in all religions except for the snake handlers here in the rural South. I may join one of those sects this Sunday if I can locate one and if they'll play "Who do you Love?" during the service........"I walk forty seven miles of barbed wire, wear a cobra snake for a necktie; got a brand new house out on the roadside and it's made out of rattlesnake hide; got a brand new chimney built on top and it's made from human skull. Come on, Robin, take a little walk and tell me who do you love." Amen

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Other than being too lazy to look for other threads, the reason I put the story in Religion is that with the Amish, religion is intertwined with everything about their life. Many New Order Amish aren't supposed to drink, except while they're on Rumspringa, and neither could Reuben let the wife drive the buggy home. And they try very hard to avoid conflicts with the "English" police particularly if it results in their getting their picture taken and posted. When the dust settles and all the just mean charges get dropped except for the drunk driving, Reuben will probably be in more trouble with his church than with Johnny Law. And the wife likely won't be happy he tried to toss the kids under the bus, either.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:07 pm

O Really wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:51 pm
Other than being too lazy to look for other threads, the reason I put the story in Religion is that with the Amish, religion is intertwined with everything about their life....
I wasn't dissing your choice, just laughing at the options. According to neoplacebo, it could have also gone in Animals.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Yeah, "Animals" would work, but not "You can't make this up" because apparently drunk buggy driving isn't all that rare. Most of the accidents, though, more likely caused by drunk car/truck driver than the buggy driver. And ol' Reuben really was lucky nobody got injured. Usually they do - and often badly.

https://www.mapministry.org/news-and-st ... 018-page-1

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:32 pm

O Really wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 pm
Yeah, "Animals" would work, but not "You can't make this up" because apparently drunk buggy driving isn't all that rare. Most of the accidents, though, more likely caused by drunk car/truck driver than the buggy driver. And ol' Reuben really was lucky nobody got injured. Usually they do - and often badly.

https://www.mapministry.org/news-and-st ... 018-page-1
I think someone at Mission to Amish People is guilty of compiling while drunk.
Amish Buggy Accidents 2018 (Page 1)

... JUNE 17, 2018

ELMA, N.Y.
- The Erie County Sheriff's Office received multiple calls reporting a single vehicle crash on Route 400 South near Maple Street at 3:20 p.m. Saturday.

Deputies say a custom 1920 early model open top vehicle lost control and struck the safety rail causing the man operating it to be ejected from the vehicle.

Read More