The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:19 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:32 pm
... For the record, I have worked closely with peace, anti-racist, anti-homophobic, anti-nuclear, and social and economic justice Christians here and abroad for decades. I have always been impressed with and jealous of the depth of commitment that their faith gives them....
Opps, an email mentioning faith-based climate activists reminded me of all of the Christian treehuggers that I've worked with, tons of them, and neglected to mention.
When I was in junior high school, one of my heroes was Father Daniel Berrigan, a Catholic anti Vietnam war clergyman. He was a Christian. I still revere his memory.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:27 pm
When I was in junior high school, one of my heroes was Father Daniel Berrigan, a Catholic anti Vietnam war clergyman. He was a Christian. I still revere his memory.
:thumbup: I met both Phil Berrigan and his brother, Daniel, and have trained activists with Phil's daughter, Kate. I did not ask nor care whether she is also Catholic or other flavor of Christian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Berrigan#Activism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Berrigan#Protests
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Be ... s_Movement
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:27 pm
:thumbup: I met both Phil Berrigan and his brother, Daniel, and have trained activists with Phil's daughter, Kate. I did not ask nor care whether she is also Catholic or other flavor of Christian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Berrigan#Activism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Berrigan#Protests
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Be ... s_Movement
Awesome; wish I'd had the chance to meet Daniel.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 pm

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:28 pm
All that in an attempt to convince yourself.Yeah, it’s best to keep a front. Coming here releases some of that bottled up hate, which is a good thing. Wouldn’t want you to explode in some Christian school, Christian Church.
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:09 pm
How did we get from national reaction relating to disasters to hatred of Christianity? No rational way to do that unless (gasp) Vrede was right -
"Everyone knows that it's worse to be killed by a Muslim terrorist than by a rightwing White Christian terrorist, even if the latter are killing more of us."
We got to this when cat could not bait anyone into saying anything about 9/11 that he could feign outrage over, he invented his own, I called him out on it, and now he's slithering all over the place trying to convince himself he has a point, which is that all of us hate Christianity.
Looks like s/he ran away after getting shamed, again. There will be a return, ignoring this utter failure.

Homeless Mom Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Using Friend's Address to Enroll Son in School

Felicity Huffman‘s 14-day sentencing has spotlighted school-related cases of parents who received longer jail time in comparison to the actress’ role in the college admissions scandal.

A homeless woman from Bridgeport, Connecticut, was sentenced to five years in prison for enrolling her son in a school district where he did not reside.

In 2011, Tanya McDowell wanted a better education for her then 5-year-old son Andrew, and enrolled him in an elementary school in the neighboring town of Norwalk — using her son’s babysitter’s address for registration papers. At the time, she and her son were living out of her van and homeless shelters, and spending nights at an apartment in Bridgeport, the Connecticut Post had reported.

The mother was arrested and charged with first-degree larceny and served five years behind bars for the “stolen” education.

“Who would have thought that wanting a good education for my son would put me in this predicament?” McDowell, who also had prior drug charges, said in court at the time of her sentencing. “I have no regrets seeking a better education for him, I do regret my participation in this drug case.” ...

Earlier this year, The Washington Post reported that a new study showed white school districts received $23 billion more in government funding than nonwhite school districts in 2016, regardless of the fact that they had the same number of students.

Thus many parents, like McDowell and Williams-Bolar, find themselves using the addresses of friends and family to get their children into better school districts.

“While there is a part of us that may feel some sense of vindication at the idea of these parents serving five years in prison because Tanya McDowell served five years in prison when she was so much more deserving, that’s not justice,” Rebecca J. Kavanagh, a New York City public defender, told Refinery29 of the college admissions scandal verdicts. “Justice is for Tanya McDowell to have never been charged, convicted or sentenced to prison and to have the same educational opportunity for her son as these parents have for their children.” ...

“I get why everyone gets mad when rich person X gets a short sentence and poor person of color Y gets a long one,” the singer wrote on Twitter. “The answer isn’t for X to get more; it’s for both of them to get less (or even none!!!) We should level down not up.”
Americans have become desensitized to how much we lock people up. Prisons and jails are not the answer to every bad thing everyone does, but we've come to use them to address nearly every societal ill.
“It’s insane we locked a woman up for 5 years for sending her kid to the wrong school district,” the father of two wrote, referencing McDowell. “Literally everyone involved in that decision should be ashamed of themselves.”

“It’s unconscionable that we locked a woman up for voting when, unbeknownst to her, she was ineligible,” Legend continued, referring to Crystal Mason, who was sentenced to five years in prison for voting in the 2016 election even though she says she was unaware that she was ineligible to vote, according to the Huffington Post.

The Voice star concluded, “And no one in our nation will benefit from the 14 days an actress will serve for cheating in college admissions. We don’t need to lock people up for any of this stuff.”
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.