A Great Local Story

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: A Great Local Story

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I congratulate them on their success. Meanwhile, I will continue work on my solar powered windshield wiper project. As of this writing, success has eluded me.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

You idiotic bunch of ignorant dipshit moonbats. You all have your heads so far up Obama's ass you can't see the results of a local success story without giving your head pick-a-ninny some sort of credit for it. The dumb shit did say "he didn't build that", and you, in your blind wallowing, blame the conservative news media for building it up to be a lie.

billy pilgrim, you are are nothing but a lowdown, snot sucking, ass kissing, bottom feeding troll.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This sort of vague talk is what really makes my ass drag. How about telling us what you really think?

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

neoplacebo wrote:Yeah, that's what I've come to rationalize it as. If you admit you're on the wrong track, then your entire system of belief and thought crashes and burns. No self respecting wingnut could bear to have the certain knowledge that their entire empire is based on lies and half truths, thus the lies and hate must be perpetuated and kept alive; if it dies, so do they. I guess it would be analagous to a religious conversion for a wingnut to renounce wingnuttery.....
Backfire. It's a psychological term describing how people cling even more tightly to their beliefs when their beliefs are refuted. The cognitive dissonance is too much for them.
Nyhan and Reifler found a backfire effect in a study of conservatives. The Bush administration claimed that tax cuts would increase federal revenue (the cuts didn't have the promised effect). One group was offered a refutation of this claim by prominent economists that included current and former Bush administration officials. About 35 percent of conservatives told about the Bush claim believed it. The percentage of believers jumped to 67 when the conservatives were provided with the refutation of the idea that tax cuts increase revenue.

Some think the backfire effect is due to a cognitive deficit: people view unfavorable information as being in agreement with their beliefs (Lebo and Cassino 2007). Nyhan and Reifler, however, interpret backfire effects "as a possible result of the process by which people counterargue preference-incongruent information and bolster their preexisting views." That seems like a roundabout way of saying that people dig in when confronted with evidence contrary to their beliefs, but it doesn't seem to explain why they do so. Another explanation involves communal reinforcement and the assumption that there is more information you don't have that supports your belief. If one knows that there is a community of believers who share your beliefs and one believes that there is probably information you don't have but which would outweigh the contrary information provided, rationalization becomes easier. It is possible that the rationalization process leads one to give more weight to reinforcement by the community of believers. How much play one's belief gets in the media, versus the play of contrary information may also contribute to the backfire effect. If messages supporting your belief are presented far more frequently in the media than messages contrary to your belief, or presented repeatedly by people you admire, the tendency might be to give those supportive messages even more weight than before.
That idea explains much -- why there is no Rush on the left; why the righties need Rush, Fox, et. al.; why there are all those rightwing echo-chamber forums; why righties think they're posting something clever when they're actually posting something extremely stupid; why they bash the "liberal media" and listen to Michael Savage, etc.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

neoplacebo wrote:This sort of vague talk is what really makes my ass drag. How about telling us what you really think?
Untie your billy pilgrim and let him walk on his own, then you won't have to drag him. You're welcome.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

homerfobe wrote:You idiotic bunch of ignorant dipshit moonbats. You all have your heads so far up Obama's ass you can't see the results of a local success story without giving your head pick-a-ninny some sort of credit for it. The dumb shit did say "he didn't build that", and you, in your blind wallowing, blame the conservative news media for building it up to be a lie.

billy pilgrim, you are are nothing but a lowdown, snot sucking, ass kissing, bottom feeding troll.
Well, Homophobe the Latent Illiterate just blew it again. No one blames the conservative media. No one said it was a lie. No one believes it was a lie. You just missed the mark . . . again.

Guess who's the idiotic, ignorant dipshit? The guy who just tried to ridicule others but made a fool of himself by getting everything backwards.

First, we're smart enough to understand the context: No one got where they are without help from someone else, including help from our society and our government.

It was only the ODS loons who went full stupid over the remarks and tried to twist them for partisan BS.

Second, we like to point out the blind hypocrisy of the ODS loons -- again -- by quoting Willard when he told a group of Olympians that they didn't get where they are without help from someone else.

Rubbing people's noses in their own hypocrisy never gets old.

Now, you need to go troll some more with your homophobic and racist comments. Enjoy your pathetic little day.

And get some help with the reading next time.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

homerfobe wrote:You idiotic bunch of ignorant dipshit moonbats. You all have your heads so far up Obama's ass you can't see the results of a local success story without giving your head pick-a-ninny some sort of credit for it. The dumb shit did say "he didn't build that", and you, in your blind wallowing, blame the conservative news media for building it up to be a lie.

funny lil man you are homie, but taking things out of context is a lie, rmoney also said - You Olympians, however, know you didn’t get here on your own power. I guess we could beat him up about it and even use it as a rallying theme, but homie, that be the difference in you and me, you are a liar when you use obama's words about building a business or john kerry's words about viet nam out of context in order to twist the words into something you can attack
I wouldn't do that with mittens words - add context and what he said was the truth

funny as hell truth, as his hypocrisy for using almost identical words by obama to attack obama, but the truth nevertheless

and you are still a liar
even in your response in this thread. no one gave obama any credit (you lie). suckermanager brought up right wing politics and used the success of this small business to attack obama (he lied)

I did give credit where credit is due - more than individual effort is required for success - business depends on infrastructure and education and the economy and law enforcement and on and on. we all build on each other

so crawl back in you hole homie, your time is almost over
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

homerfobe wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:This sort of vague talk is what really makes my ass drag. How about telling us what you really think?
Untie your billy pilgrim and let him walk on his own, then you won't have to drag him. You're welcome.

nobody dragging me

it's too easy to prove that you are a liar, all by myself

btw - keep up the name calling, it makes me feel so important
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

homerfobe wrote:you can't see the results of a local success story without giving your head pick-a-ninny some sort of credit for it. The dumb shit did say "he didn't build that",
In the proper context of Obama's "didn't build that" remark, are you saying that these business owners DID supply their own teachers? That they DID create the American system themselves? They they DID build the roads? Theyd they DID build the bridges?
homerfobe wrote:head pick-a-ninny
Go back to stormfront.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Here's the context for "You didn't build that", since you won't get it from Faux News or stormfront:
There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me – because they want to give something back. They know they didn't – look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business – you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.
Obama then cited the funding of the G.I. Bill, the creation of the middle class, the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge and Hoover Dam, creation of the Internet, and landing on the moon as examples of what he was talking about.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Supsalemgr wrote:I'm crushed Fish Head did not appreciate my post.

:wave: :wave:

the story was fine lil man

but the tag line is just more proof that you are a liar

about obama's comment
your lie about Rice
and your thousands of lies about acorn

face it, you got nothing when you lose the lies
Yup they only stretch the truth, Right?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:Here's the context for "You didn't build that", since you won't get it from Faux News or stormfront:
There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me – because they want to give something back. They know they didn't – look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business – you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.
Obama then cited the funding of the G.I. Bill, the creation of the middle class, the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge and Hoover Dam, creation of the Internet, and landing on the moon as examples of what he was talking about.

you don't really expect homie, tag and the kernel to be able to understand whole sentences and paragraphs and stuff
give em a good bumper sticker to suck on and they'll work it for years

how fricking stupid or how much of a liar do you have to be to refuse to recognize what obama said

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

How appropriate that the forum chicken should show up right when we're discussing the winger's penchant for taking quotes out of context and lying about them.
Colonel Sanders wrote: Yup they only stretch the truth, Right?
No one said that, lying dumbass. You've been shot down on that one multiple times, yet you cut and run and pop back up with the same tired old like.

It's like playing Whack-an-A-Hole.

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

I wonder why everyone who goes to government schools and drive on public roads are not as successful as these two entities?

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Supsalemgr wrote:I wonder why everyone who goes to government schools and drive on public roads are not as successful as these two entities?
Does that somehow negate the fact that they did go to government schools and flourish in an economy that was already there? What color is the sky in your world?

Logic fail.

If they did it on their own, just through their own sheer genius, without advantages provided by governments and a strong economic system, then they should be able to repeat their results in . . . oh, say Somalia.

What are the odds.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Supsalemgr wrote:I wonder why everyone who goes to government schools and drive on public roads are not as successful as these two entities?

now how stupid is that?

are you also wondering why everyone with supportive parents and coaches isn't in the Olympics?

your refusal to communicate only proves that you have no support for your beliefs

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

Stinger wrote:How appropriate that the forum chicken should show up right when we're discussing the winger's penchant for taking quotes out of context and lying about them.
No one said that, lying dumbass. You've been shot down on that one multiple times, yet you cut and run and pop back up with the same tired old like.

Yea I bet your wife feels the same when when you're done with the 500 lb garbage man. So what's it like being the forum douchebag? Just wondering since you're so good at it. Yup just lie and deny and your world is all shit brown. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Stinger wrote:
...Obama certainly stretches the truth and spins

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

billy.pilgrim wrote:

now how stupid is that?

Thanks for going ahead and answering Stinger's post. That is exactly my thoughts about his post.

are you also wondering why everyone with supportive parents and coaches isn't in the Olympics?

your refusal to communicate only proves that you have no support for your beliefs

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Supsalemgr wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

now how stupid is that?

Thanks for going ahead and answering Stinger's post. That is exactly my thoughts about his post.

suckermanager can't read, can't think, can't communicate

too bad he can't explaim mittens comment
too bad he can't understand obama's or stinger's either

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Colonel Taylor wrote:
Stinger wrote:How appropriate that the forum chicken should show up right when we're discussing the winger's penchant for taking quotes out of context and lying about them.

Yea I bet your wife feels the same when when you're done with the 500 lb garbage man.

Stupid is a full-time gig with you, huh?

Where's your wife? Oh, that's right. She took off with one of the garbage men. Best upgrade she ever made.

So what's it like being the forum douchebag?

I have no idea. Why don't you clue us in?

Just wondering since you're so good at it.

Couldn't come close to you, no matter how hard I tried.

Yup just lie and deny and your world is all shit brown.

You're the one who regularly lies . . . and then cuts and runs like the craven coward you are . . . only to appear again spouting the same tired lie.

Stinger wrote:
...Obama certainly stretches the truth and spins

Thanks for proving me right and proving you the liar. Saves me the trouble of looking it up.

And how appropriate that when we were commenting about stupid cons taking quotes out of context and then lying about the quotes, who should show up but the primary offender, Defective Colon.

Apparently, you don't even realize that you just proved yourself the liar. Is that because:

A) you're really that frickin' stupid and illiterate, or

B) you're that shameless and brazen a liar, or

C) you're really that frickin' stupid and illiterate, or

D) all of the above.

Your original lie said that I claimed that liberals ONLY stretch the truth.

I never said that. You provided my quote that proves that I didn't say that.

Furthermore, in the rest of my statement that you deceptively edited, I said that Obama lied. But here comes the forum douchebag repeatedly lying by claiming that I said Obama doesn't lie.

Thanks for being so frickin' dumb as to tell a lie and then prove yourself a liar, and thanks for doing it on such an appropriate thread.