Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Traveling

Unread post by O Really »

For reference of anybody coming out this way - Palm Springs is way nicer than Barstow. :D

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:55 pm
For reference of anybody coming out this way - Palm Springs is way nicer than Barstow. :D
Hiking around nearby Idyllwild–Pine Cove is very nice.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

One of the old Allman Brothers albums was titled "Idyllwild South."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:34 pm
Don't recall ever listening to it.
Idlewild South: Title

The album's title came from the band's nickname for a $165-a-month cabin it rented on a lake outside of Macon early in its days there, the busy comings and goings at which reminded them of New York City's Idlewild Airport.

Scott Boyer spoke on the cabin's history in the 2008 book Skydog: The Duane Allman Story:

It was like a hunting cabin. The back of the house had a porch that was built out over a manmade lake that was maybe five or six acres. It was a cabin made out of old pinewood, and it had been there for a long time. ... The Allman Brothers used it as a rehearsal facility — that and a place to go maybe to consume a little something that wasn't quite legal. There were parties out there."

Idlewild South was the home of rehearsals and parties, and was "where the brotherhood came to pass," according to roadie Kim Payne; "There was a pact made out there around a campfire—all for one and one for all. ... Everybody believed [in the band] 100 percent." According to Linda Oakley, spouse of bassist Oakley, the group held a New Year's Eve party going into 1970 where they, at midnight, joined together in a chorus of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken". "That was a pivotal moment, a testament of love," she said. Much of the material presented on the album originated at the cabin.
Cool.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:34 pm
Don't recall ever listening to it.
Idlewild South: Title

The album's title came from the band's nickname for a $165-a-month cabin it rented on a lake outside of Macon early in its days there, the busy comings and goings at which reminded them of New York City's Idlewild Airport.

Scott Boyer spoke on the cabin's history in the 2008 book Skydog: The Duane Allman Story:

It was like a hunting cabin. The back of the house had a porch that was built out over a manmade lake that was maybe five or six acres. It was a cabin made out of old pinewood, and it had been there for a long time. ... The Allman Brothers used it as a rehearsal facility — that and a place to go maybe to consume a little something that wasn't quite legal. There were parties out there."

Idlewild South was the home of rehearsals and parties, and was "where the brotherhood came to pass," according to roadie Kim Payne; "There was a pact made out there around a campfire—all for one and one for all. ... Everybody believed [in the band] 100 percent." According to Linda Oakley, spouse of bassist Oakley, the group held a New Year's Eve party going into 1970 where they, at midnight, joined together in a chorus of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken". "That was a pivotal moment, a testament of love," she said. Much of the material presented on the album originated at the cabin.
Cool.
Opps! I really had no idea why the name of the record was what it was; just the name of the CA park made me think of it. Idlewild South is the first appearance of the songs "Midnight RIder" and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 am
Opps! I really had no idea why the name of the record was what it was; just the name of the CA park made me think of it. Idlewild South is the first appearance of the songs "Midnight RIder" and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed."
Just interesting to me, 'twasn't intended to cause an "Opps!" I've partied in cabins like that, never became a famous musician. You have a great memory of 1960-70s stuff . . . which is incredible all things considered ;) 8-) .

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:59 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 am
Just interesting to me, 'twasn't intended to cause an "Opps!" I've partied in cabins like that, never became a famous musician. You have a great memory of 1960-70s stuff . . . which is incredible all things considered ;) 8-) .
Well, my memory isn't too bad but I happen to have that record and pulled it out in order to reference those two songs. I was pretty sure Midnight Rider was on it but wanted to make sure. And you're right; all things considered, my memory banks should only perform at maybe a 30% level. I figure I'm at about 85% though. Maybe I should have been part of a long term study or something. :D

O Really
Admiral

Gotta love California...

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 pm
Gotta love California...

Do they ship UPS?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Good for them. And I can speak from experience that cannabis is much better than a can o bass.

O Really
Admiral

Nope. They actually deliver - like a pizza. There's also a drive-through shop. :thumbup:
https://flowermarket.delivery/

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:21 pm
Nope. They actually deliver - like a pizza. There's also a drive-through shop. :thumbup:
I guess weed is called flower now, who knew? Bummer they can't team up with Uber eats, gonna need some munchies after I get my flower power on. :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Back in the day a lot of convenience stores that sold beer had drive up windows here in TN and also in VA. Invariably, there were always black streaks on the side of the buildings where car bumpers would scrape along it; lots of bumpers back then had rubber strips all along the middle of the bumpers. Depending on whether the entrance drives required any sort of turn to align with the side of the building, there would be more or less black streaks. :crazy:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:29 pm
O Really wrote:
I guess weed is called flower now, who knew? Bummer they can't team up with Uber eats, gonna need some munchies after I get my flower power on. :happy-cheerleaderkid:
I've taken to calling it medicine even though there are no dosage suggestions that come with it. But more often than not, after treating myself I think "damn, this is good medicine." :thumbup:

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Back in the day a lot of convenience stores that sold beer had drive up windows here in TN and also in VA.
They had those in Florida, too, up until early 90's sometime. A lot of the liquor stores still have a drive-up window, or at least a visible place where it used to be. I'm guessing the ones that still have the window use it for the entertainment of the store staff, laughing at the less-than-sober guy waiting at the window.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Back in the day a lot of convenience stores that sold beer had drive up windows here in TN and also in VA.
They had those in Florida, too, up until early 90's sometime. A lot of the liquor stores still have a drive-up window, or at least a visible place where it used to be. I'm guessing the ones that still have the window use it for the entertainment of the store staff, laughing at the less-than-sober guy waiting at the window.
I went to college in Lakeland Florida, we had a place called the Kau Kau Koner. It was a drive through liquor store, entered on one side, told the guy what you wanted, he loaded your car, paid and drove out of the other side.

How did we survive?

O Really
Admiral

Louisiana still has beer barns and drive-through daiquiri stands.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:02 pm
O Really wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Just remember, they're not laughing at you, they're laughing at you.
We still have one in navarre
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:45 pm
O Really wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
O Really wrote:
I went to college in Lakeland Florida, we had a place called the Kau Kau Koner. It was a drive through liquor store, entered on one side, told the guy what you wanted, he loaded your car, paid and drove out of the other side.

How did we survive?
:lol: There used to be one of those in Johnson City TN near the ETSU campus; a literal drive thru store. I think the only things they sold were beer and cigarettes and stuff like chewing gum and chips and things like that. I also survived this era.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

And the legal drinking age in Florida was eighteen....