Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:25 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:08 pm
. Memes are the perfect format for brainwashing the intellectually lazy.
Conceptually not much different from editorial cartoons, but now anybody can do it. And instead of a distribution limited to the subscribers of a newspaper or magazine, the stupidity can be read by millions in seconds. And there's no arbiter of taste or truthfulness.
It's been a goddamn vicious cycle for me; I've bought nearly a dozen of those "Trumpy Bear" stuffed animals. I burn them and stab them and generally slap them around until I decide to terminate them so I will be glad when they shut down that contaminated factory that makes them. shit.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Who knew that leftists detest images that depict their behavior.
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:56 am
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:56 am
Otherwise known as the "I'm really, really old tour". Plus, the logo makes it look like "Jo" is speeding backwards. Fitting.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:00 pm
It's been a goddamn vicious cycle for me; I've bought nearly a dozen of those "Trumpy Bear" stuffed animals. I burn them and stab them and generally slap them around until I decide to terminate them so I will be glad when they shut down that contaminated factory that makes them. shit.
That's a little disturbing even if they do represent 45SHOLE ;) :P .
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:17 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:00 pm
That's a little disturbing even if they do represent 45SHOLE ;) :P .
I also have Trumpy Bear stuck at the top of my passenger window with his head inside and his ass out in the cold. I've ripped the fake pants off it and painted its ass white. Another Trumpy Bear boiled in water for three hours and became a brown and orange mess of fuzz and stuffing and is still fermenting in the pot. If I watch old raccoon eyes on tv tonight Trumpy Bear will sit beside me and be poked with a filleting knife every time old raccoon eyes tells a lie.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:03 am
Trumpy Bear will sit beside me and be poked with a filleting knife every time old raccoon eyes tells a lie.
You're going to need more than one bear, then.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:03 am
I also have Trumpy Bear stuck at the top of my passenger window with his head inside and his ass out in the cold. I've ripped the fake pants off it and painted its ass white. Another Trumpy Bear boiled in water for three hours and became a brown and orange mess of fuzz and stuffing and is still fermenting in the pot. If I watch old raccoon eyes on tv tonight Trumpy Bear will sit beside me and be poked with a filleting knife every time old raccoon eyes tells a lie.
:wtf: You have more fun with Trumpy Bear than I do with people.

Survivor has been on for 40 years! :crazy:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:42 pm

40 seasons. About 20 years.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:51 pm
:doh: Thanks. I thought I'd lost a couple of decades.

The American series premiered on May 31, 2000 ...

It's been so long since I watched. I didn't know or I forgot that it's 2/year.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

(Secret confession on an anonymous internet forum. I'm a fan.)
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:13 pm
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

I've been a fan since the first season. 2-3 seasons in, I gave serious consideration to trying to get on the show, but that didn't last. Some seasons have been better than others, but few have been duds.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:13 pm
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

I've been a fan since the first season. 2-3 seasons in, I gave serious consideration to trying to get on the show, but that didn't last. Some seasons have been better than others, but few have been duds.
Agreed, except it has gotten too freakin twist happy.

Really looking forward to this one!

I'm on team Michele, Kim, Yul and Ethan. Go one time players!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

It should be different in a lot of ways, and not particularly because of twists and gimmicks. Consider - everyone is a former winner, and Sandra twice. Some have played the game two, three or four times. They all know each other - some personally, some by reputation. But they're not necessarily the same people as when they played before. Minor example, but Boston Rob is fat - will that affect his former ability in challenges? Will Parvarti's act play as well with people who know what she's like? So strategy will have to be different, alliances should be fun to watch, and I'm guessing we'll see a lot of flashbacks, like when they bring back a challenge from the past and show the players who were in it back then. Pretty sure everyone will know how to build fire, though. :lol:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

And build a shelter 🙄.

Guessing it's going to go old school vs. new school type alliances with a new school type gameplay.

This group is savvy, hoping alliances hold and we don't get voting bloc mentality.

Should be great fun.

O Really
Admiral

On the preview show last night, they introduced the group of men, then the group of women. Is that the way it'll start out, m vs. f? Or maybe they just haven't announced tribes yet, I hope.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:52 am
On the preview show last night, they introduced the group of men, then the group of women. Is that the way it'll start out, m vs. f? Or maybe they just haven't announced tribes yet, I hope.
Been out for awhile.

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-seas ... ions-39474

Physically, just about everyone except Sandra is a beast, albeit somewhat older beasts.

O Really
Admiral

Ah, thanks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Segue to a real life survivor:

Stanley Nelson discusses his 30 for 30 documentary on Michael Vick
The filmmaker shares his latest offering, on the fall and divisive return of one of the NFL’s most polarizing talents

2 X 2 hours. I watched some of Part 1 and just now all of part 2. Very well made, does not pull any punches. I always thought that the crimes were horrible, but that he handled post-conviction about as well as is could be handled, even more so now.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:20 pm
Segue to a real life survivor:

Stanley Nelson discusses his 30 for 30 documentary on Michael Vick
The filmmaker shares his latest offering, on the fall and divisive return of one of the NFL’s most polarizing talents

2 X 2 hours. I watched some of Part 1 and just now all of part 2. Very well made, does not pull any punches. I always thought that the crimes were horrible, but that he handled post-conviction about as well as is could be handled, even more so now.
So we all know I'm an animal person and thus maybe biased. Fine. But I didn't see his crimes in the same way as getting in a fight at a bar and shooting somebody. Or robbing a business. Intentional cruelty to animals is, IMNVHO, a serious character/personality issue that isn't likely to be cured with a jail sentence. Not that Vick is or likely to be a serial killer, but many if not most serial killers started out as animal abusers. If I'm making the decisions, he's not getting back on my team. But yes, he did handle his situation as well as could be expected.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:28 pm
So we all know I'm an animal person and thus maybe biased. Fine. But I didn't see his crimes in the same way as getting in a fight at a bar and shooting somebody. Or robbing a business. Intentional cruelty to animals is, IMNVHO, a serious character/personality issue that isn't likely to be cured with a jail sentence. Not that Vick is or likely to be a serial killer, but many if not most serial killers started out as animal abusers. If I'm making the decisions, he's not getting back on my team. But yes, he did handle his situation as well as could be expected.
I have no problem with the vilification and prison time he received, nor with him being used as an example to the nation in being treated harsher than previous dog fighters. However, I'm not sure that your comparison is apt. Dog and cock fighting with gambling are ugly organized, sub-cultural phenomena. They're not the same thing as torture of animals for its own sake by sick individuals. Hell, the locals weren't even going to charge Vick. The feds did that. We hear about serial killers that would light cats on fire, etc. as kids, not ones that participated in animal fights.

A vegan might argue that your timing is ironic:
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/forum/vi ... 82#p109782
:P

Aside: It depressed me to see in the Philippines that cockfighting is not illegal and is widespread. I did not attend any, of course, but the pens for fighting cocks are everywhere in the countryside, clearly not regular chicken coops. Dog fighting is illegal there, but I have no idea how effective enforcement is.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"Dog and cock fighting with gambling are ugly organized, sub-cultural phenomena. They're not the same thing as torture of animals for its own sake by sick individuals."

Good point, and agreed. But you still have to be pretty cruel-hearted to participate.