The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Cop "fabricated" coffee cup insult, police chief says

A Kansas police officer "fabricated" a story that a McDonald's employee wrote an expletive on his coffee cup over the weekend, Herington Police Chief Brian Hornaday said Monday. Hornaday said the officer, who no longer works for the department, had originally claimed he had been given a coffee cup on Saturday that had "f***ing pig" written on it.

"We found that McDonald's and its employees did not have anything whatsoever to do with this incident. This was completely and solely fabricated by a Herington police officer who is no longer employed with our agency," Hornaday said at a press conference....

The alleged incident gained attention after Hornaday said in a Facebook post, which has since been removed, that one of his officers was handed the cup Saturday at a McDonald's drive through in Junction City.

Hornaday posted a picture of the cup and wrote that the officer was offered a "free lunch" but, "A Big Mac and large fries doesn't make up for it.

"This behavior has been, is and always will be wrong," Hornaday said in the post.

"There is a whole lot more to the story than what is being portrayed online. Hopefully, McDonald's will follow through with showing me the video that didn't exist when I met with them Saturday night," Hornaday initially told CBS affiliate WIBW, adding, "It doesn't appear this matter is going to be resolved anytime soon." ...
“The officer, who has not been identified”

In contrast, Herington Police Chief Brian Hornaday doesn’t hesitate to immediately identify every alleged civilian miscreant, and did not hesitate to condemn the particular McDonald's that was falsely accused.

This is the Kansas version of Jussie Smollett.

Ironically, what was written on the cup proved to be a very accurate description of the lying cop and the Chief that lashed out with a false accusation.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not disclosing the name is sleazy, but likely more a result of required confidentiality on disciplinary matters.
(from a different source) "Hornaday declined to name the officer because it is a personnel issue. “It’s not a matter of us not wanting to tell you who it is, because we have no reason whatsoever to protect the former officer,” he said."

That requirement is usually a part of a union contract, which may or may not be in play in a town with 5 cops, or it might be part of a "Law Officers Bill of Rights" laws that some states have. Either way, it's too stringent, IMNVHO, even though the rationale is to avoid publicity over complaints under investigation that may very well turn out to be unfounded. Lots of people complain about cops and shocking though it may be, not all are true.

Cop rousted a vagrant for attempting to cash a forged check. The guy did not go down peaceably and eventually filed a complaint against the cop, the police department, et. al. During the investigation, the "victim's" main complaint was verbal abuse and racial slurs. Specifically, he alleged that the cop had called him a "frogatib" Even though he didn't know what the word meant, he was sure it was insulting. In the investigation, turns out during the rousting the guy threatened to "sue everybody..." and the cop responded that "Well, that's your prerogative..." :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:13 pm
Not disclosing the name is sleazy, but likely more a result of required confidentiality on disciplinary matters.
(from a different source) "Hornaday declined to name the officer because it is a personnel issue. “It’s not a matter of us not wanting to tell you who it is, because we have no reason whatsoever to protect the former officer,” he said."

That requirement is usually a part of a union contract, which may or may not be in play in a town with 5 cops, or it might be part of a "Law Officers Bill of Rights" laws that some states have. Either way, it's too stringent, IMNVHO, even though the rationale is to avoid publicity over complaints under investigation that may very well turn out to be unfounded...
Ah, thanks. I still stand by my complaint of the double standard for accused civilians, even if we can't directly blame the chief in this instance.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:37 pm

Ah, thanks. I still stand by my complaint of the double standard for accused civilians, even if we can't directly blame the chief in this instance.
Yeah especially since in this case it's no longer a discipline case - the guy is gone, theoretically resigned. But like so many other regulations or legal requirements, a lot of people will misunderstand.

It's interesting though to look at the various things that get disclosed and those that don't. Sexual assault victims are not usually identified, but if the perp only beats you over the head and takes your money, you'll be in the news. Unless the attacker is your spouse and then it's "domestic violence" and not disclosed. Juveniles are not usually publicly identified, which may makes some sense unless they're "being tried as an adult."

A lot of "news" reports are pretty much "somebody was attacked by an unknown assailant somewhere in the city sometime yesterday." Translation: We have no clue what happened or how it might possibly affect you, but we've got a quota for filling a column on crime reporting so here it is.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:53 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:37 pm
Yeah especially since in this case it's no longer a discipline case - the guy is gone, theoretically resigned....
And especially since his false accusation caused hassle, distress and fear for McDonald's and its innocent employees. Leaving aside legal and contract issues, in a just universe he would have already been outed. I can only hope that he has been by local social media. Pretty dinky town to keep it truly secret.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:58 pm
I can only hope that he has been by local social media. Pretty dinky town to keep it truly secret.
Quite the scandal to lose 20% of the force. :lol:

O Really
Admiral

Police assholery has infected Canada, although it was fundamentally the bank's fault. Still police handled it badly. Glad nobody got injured.

"Indigenous grandfather and 12-year-old handcuffed in front of Vancouver bank after trying to open an account"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5419519

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:44 pm
Police assholery has infected Canada, although it was fundamentally the bank's fault. Still police handled it badly. Glad nobody got injured.

"Indigenous grandfather and 12-year-old handcuffed in front of Vancouver bank after trying to open an account"

that's gonna cost the bank a couple of dollars,

Good!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:44 pm

American cops would have shot them.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 pm
that's gonna cost the bank a couple of dollars,

Good!
:thumbup: Yeah, but I'll bet she still doesn't get her new account toaster.

Hulk Star Becomes Reserve Deputy

What could possibly go wrong?

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Here's a college football guy having some fun with a cop.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/college-footb ... 08117.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:52 am
The funny thing is that the college football guy is the punter :o .
Spoiler:
Kidding, idk.

Ex-diplomat's daughter charged with murder in fatal stabbing
A woman arrested on suspicion of fatally stabbing an acquaintance during an argument in a (Rockville) Maryland home has been identified by news reports as a daughter of a former U.S. ambassador (John Negroponte)

It happened in my childhood hometown :shock: .

I feel sorry for the families of the victim and perp, but I have zero sympathy for John Negroponte.

Among other things he was complicit in:
The 1980s massacres and oppression in Honduras and Contra terrorism in Nicaragua;
Cheney/Shrub's invasion of Iraq based on hundreds of lies;
The failed occupation of Iraq;
The spying on Americans;
Cheney/Shrub's failed foreign policy.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:52 am
The funny thing is that the college football guy is the punter :o .
Spoiler:
Kidding, idk.

Ex-diplomat's daughter charged with murder in fatal stabbing
A woman arrested on suspicion of fatally stabbing an acquaintance during an argument in a (Rockville) Maryland home has been identified by news reports as a daughter of a former U.S. ambassador (John Negroponte)

It happened in my childhood hometown :shock: .

I feel sorry for the families of the victim and perp, but I have zero sympathy for John Negroponte.

Among other things he was complicit in:
The 1980s massacres and oppression in Honduras and Contra terrorism in Nicaragua;
Cheney/Shrub's invasion of Iraq based on hundreds of lies;
The failed occupation of Iraq;
The spying on Americans;
Cheney/Shrub's failed foreign policy.
He was also at one time our "ambassador" to Iraq for a short time I think. I would have stabbed myself in the neck before taking that job.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Iran's supreme leader to pardon 10,000 prisoners, including political ones

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei will pardon 10,000 prisoners including political ones in honor of the Iranian new year on Friday, state TV reported.

"Those who will be pardoned will not return to jail ... almost half of those security-related prisoners will be pardoned as well," judiciary spokesman Gholamhossein Esmaili told state TV on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Esmaili said Iran had temporarily freed about 85,000 people from jail, including political prisoners, in response to the coronavirus epidemic.

"A large number of prisoners who have been temporarily freed do not need to return to jail after the leader's pardon," Esmaili said.

"The unprecedented point is that the pardon also includes the security-related prisoners with less than five-year jail sentences," Esmaili said.

Esmaili did not say whether it would include British-Iranian aid worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who was released on Tuesday for two weeks.

Iran said it had 189,500 people in prison, according to a report that the U.N. Special Rapporteur on human rights in Iran, Javaid Rehman, submitted to the Human Rights Council in January. They are believed to include hundreds arrested during or after anti-government protests in November.

The coronavirus outbreak has prompted calls from the United Nations and the United States for political prisoners, including dozens of dual nationals and foreigners, to be released from Iran's overcrowded and disease-ridden jails....
Coronavirus: US doctors demand immediate release of prisoners and detainees to avert disaster

I'm not holding my breath.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:00 pm
Iran's supreme leader to pardon 10,000 prisoners, including political ones

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei will pardon 10,000 prisoners including political ones in honor of the Iranian new year on Friday, state TV reported.

"Those who will be pardoned will not return to jail ... almost half of those security-related prisoners will be pardoned as well," judiciary spokesman Gholamhossein Esmaili told state TV on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Esmaili said Iran had temporarily freed about 85,000 people from jail, including political prisoners, in response to the coronavirus epidemic.

"A large number of prisoners who have been temporarily freed do not need to return to jail after the leader's pardon," Esmaili said.

"The unprecedented point is that the pardon also includes the security-related prisoners with less than five-year jail sentences," Esmaili said.

Esmaili did not say whether it would include British-Iranian aid worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who was released on Tuesday for two weeks.

Iran said it had 189,500 people in prison, according to a report that the U.N. Special Rapporteur on human rights in Iran, Javaid Rehman, submitted to the Human Rights Council in January. They are believed to include hundreds arrested during or after anti-government protests in November.

The coronavirus outbreak has prompted calls from the United Nations and the United States for political prisoners, including dozens of dual nationals and foreigners, to be released from Iran's overcrowded and disease-ridden jails....
Coronavirus: US doctors demand immediate release of prisoners and detainees to avert disaster

I'm not holding my breath.
The plan is to wait until enough are infected that they overwhelm prison medical facilities, then turn them loose.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:15 pm
The plan is to wait until enough are infected that they overwhelm prison medical facilities, then turn them loose.
I only wish that such cynicism was joking. On every aspect of this it's stunning to see the decisiveness in blue states vs the inaction of the feds and red states.

US jails begin releasing prisoners to stem Covid-19 infections
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Colorado Death Penalty Abolished, Polis Commutes Sentences Of Death Row Inmates

Governor Jared Polis has signed a bill to repeal the death penalty. The measure passed the Democratic legislature with limited bipartisan support earlier this spring and was sent to him shortly before lawmakers suspended their session.

This makes Colorado the 22nd state to abolish capital punishment, and it marks the conclusion of reform efforts that began at the Colorado State Capitol in 2007.

“It's important that we end that I think it has been a very discriminatory practice, not just towards people of color, but people within geographic areas within the state,” said Democratic Rep. Adrienne Benavidez of Adams County, one of the law's main sponsors. Prosecutors and juries in different parts of Colorado have shown different levels of comfort with the penalty....
:clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Memo: Decriminalizing Survival: Policy Platform And Polling On The Decriminalization Of Sex Work

For the first time in presidential primary history, 2020 candidates have competed for a progressive position on the sex trade. Several candidates have indicated their “openness to the decriminalization of sex work” while other candidates have expressed stances they describe as decriminalization but range in policy from Prohibition-style criminalization to regulated legalization. A recent resolution introduced by Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley calls for decriminalization. Legislators, supported by community groups, have also introduced decriminalization bills in New York and D.C, and sex workers are mobilizing to do the same in cities and states across the country. There is growing consensus amongst civil rights, LGBTQ+ justice, labor, immigrant justice, and women’s groups that the decriminalization of sex work best protects people in the sex trades. A recent national poll by Data for Progress found an outright majority of all voters support decriminalizing sex work. Additionally, two-thirds of voters age 18-44 support decriminalization.

I agree.

The only age group where more oppose the decriminalization of sex work than support it are 65+, and only 51% of them are opponents. I find this very surprising.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Shirley you can't be Sirius. Every place that has attempted to decriminalize sex work has faced total destruction, disaster, and a complete breakdown of the social structure. Just look at the Netherlands or Nevada or....Oh wait.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:52 pm
Shirley you can't be Sirius. Every place that has attempted to decriminalize sex work has faced total destruction, disaster, and a complete breakdown of the social structure. Just look at the Netherlands or Nevada or....Oh wait.
:D :thumbup:

Safer sex, less killing.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/news/dpic- ... moratorium

CO is now dark blue, state #22. :clap:
No "total destruction, disaster, and a complete breakdown of the social structure" in them, either.

Slowly . . .
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.