Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:51 pm

It's always been the origination and prime consideration. What do you consider to be more important one/s?
[/quote]
Well Ben Franklin joked about it saving candles when sunshine is free, and the Germans thought it would save energy, but it's never really worked that way. On the other hand, here's one guy's take on its value:

"The argument for keeping DST as a permanent U.S. lifestyle fixture is that it greatly benefits health, outdoor activity, tourism, the culinary industry, and especially our vast golf, tennis, and parks and recreation investments," he says. "Extended daylight hours allow outdoor restaurants, golf courses, parks, and patio or rooftop bars to see sunsets well past happy hour and into dinner time, as opposed to forcing everyone into dismal darkness just before standard 5 p.m. business hours come to a close."

But it's not just tourism and the ability to enjoy time outside that Hanson is concerned about. "Early darkness also leads to depression, less outdoor activity, and health problems—especially in winter months."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:57 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:33 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:28 am
Just links. I hope they are in this thread because of the silliness of the subject.
Just interesting info to me that I was largely unaware of, and I'm not bashful about sharing my opinion once I've formed one, duh. That said, you are free to whine rather than ignore what doesn't interest you like normal people do.
I still have no personal opinion on the topic. My work/sleep/play sched has always been haywire and I deal with whatever without upset.

However, it's fascinating that my post has sparked discussion by 4 others, ironically even whiny billy.pilgrim, which is all any of us can hope for when we broach a new subject. Ftw:

:happy-cheerleaderkid:
oops, looks like mr thin skin got upset again. Really vrede, can you post without calling names, or is the name calling the criteria you use for your participation trophy awards?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:58 pm
Well Ben Franklin joked about it saving candles when sunshine is free, and the Germans thought it would save energy, but it's never really worked that way. On the other hand, here's one guy's take on its value:

"The argument for keeping DST as a permanent U.S. lifestyle fixture is that it greatly benefits health, outdoor activity, tourism, the culinary industry, and especially our vast golf, tennis, and parks and recreation investments," he says. "Extended daylight hours allow outdoor restaurants, golf courses, parks, and patio or rooftop bars to see sunsets well past happy hour and into dinner time, as opposed to forcing everyone into dismal darkness just before standard 5 p.m. business hours come to a close."

But it's not just tourism and the ability to enjoy time outside that Hanson is concerned about. "Early darkness also leads to depression, less outdoor activity, and health problems—especially in winter months."
Ah, thanks. Is there a similar argument for Standard Time?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:08 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:58 pm

Ah, thanks. Is there a similar argument for Standard Time?
Standard time aids in depression and sadness. More people go to bars and pubs to smother their sadness in booze and drugs, thereby spiking sales in drugs and alcohol, stimulating the economy.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:03 pm
oops, looks like mr thin skin got upset again. Really vrede, can you post without calling names, or is the name calling the criteria you use for your participation trophy awards?
You lie, again. I have not called you any names in this moronic tangent of yours. Thin skin much?

You're delusional. I thought that your whining about the topic was a scream from the start, and relished the opportunity to say so. Otoh, you're now throwing a tantrum because the topic didn't turn out to be as silly to others, ironically even you, as you said that it was in your butthurt desperation to score points against me. Awww, here's a "participation trophy award [redundant]" for trying and failing so miserably:

Feel better now? I'll give you other ones whenever you graduate ESL and Ethics.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:58 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:27 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:09 pm
I don't like DST because it involves resetting the time on all the time pieces in my possession, at least those without automatic DST adjustment feature.

I'd be fine with standard time all year. I like late sunsets.

The plus about Sunday is that I'll be able to work in the garden longer.
Wait if you like late sunsets, you'd want year around DST. Since DST has later sunsets.
I stand firm in my belief that if it was ever put up to a vote, people would vote to end DST, when in reality it's switching back to standard time that they'd like to be rid of.

Imagine the surprise once DST is abolished. Imagine the regrets.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:06 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
I don't like DST because it involves resetting the time on all the time pieces in my possession, at least those without automatic DST adjustment feature.

Wait if you like late sunsets, you'd want year around DST. Since DST has later sunsets.
I stand firm in my belief that if it was ever put up to a vote, people would vote to end DST, when in reality it's switching back to standard time that they'd like to be rid of.

I remember the early DST arguments by some of the religious types concerning messing with God's time. I hadn't realized that god established Standard Time, but it turns out that he set it all up on Day 1 because he hadn't placed the Sun and his sundial didn't work.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:11 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:06 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

I like whichever gives me more sunsets.
That would be Leap Year

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:11 pm

I like whichever gives me more sunsets.
I don't know what you or billy.p got for sunsets tonight, but ours was spectacular. A bit cloudy, so the sun played in and out around the edges of the clouds, with a bright pink/gold center and bright rays going around the arc. By the end, each cloud was edged in colour around the entire western horizon.
Like this...
Last edited by O Really on Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

I have two questions not related to this thread as this is not a locked thread.

In regards to the "Just the Facts & Not the Alternative Facts" forums, how does anyone post in any of those threads when it states
"Not intended as a place for discussion"
Question 1: --- WTF?
There's plenty of posts by various members, but no way to reply or make a new post!
Question 2: --- WTF?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 pm

In regards to the "Just the Facts & Not the Alternative Facts" forums, how does anyone post in any of those threads when it states

It's intended to be a repository of accessible, sourced, factual info for use in arguments elsewhere, not as a place for debate. Though it hasn't happened a lot - the Steele dossier threads are an example - contradictory sourcing is certainly appropriate. It's the opinion sharing that's more suited for the regular forum. This is not enforced, and you can see that some small amount of discussion does go on there.

In the beginning it was hoped by banni that it might draw people in that googled a relevant query, but that doesn't seem to have occurred.

There's plenty of posts by various members, but no way to reply or make a new post!

Idk about that. You could quote or PM banni and ask.
In the meantime, you can always link something that interests you and debunk or discuss it out here in the regular forum. If you successfully debunk something I've posted about in Just the Facts & Not the Alternative Facts, I will share your credibly sourced info there, credit you for finding it, and will either retract my claim or leave it as a matter of unsettled debate.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Leo Lyons wrote:

That area is just a spot to quickly debunk things that are debunked way too often it's not intended as a place for discussion. Not everyone has access to post there.

Discussions have happened over there, but that is NOT the intent. Facts with sourced links is the intent.

If you would like to discuss one of the topics posted over there, feel free to post a duplicate topic in this forum and we can debate it all day long. Obviously if something is found to be false, we'll update it.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

bannination wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:40 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
...feel free to post a duplicate topic in this forum and we can debate it all day long. Obviously if something is found to be false, we'll update it.
Prior to my posting this today, I couldn't comment on any post or open the thread to comment on.
A thread with closed posting where others were posting, hence my WTF? It appears to be open now. Thanks.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:54 pm
bannination wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:40 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
...feel free to post a duplicate topic in this forum and we can debate it all day long. Obviously if something is found to be false, we'll update it.
Prior to my posting this today, I couldn't comment on any post or open the thread to comment on.
A thread with closed posting where others were posting, hence my WTF? It appears to be open now. Thanks.
https://youtu.be/4F4qzPbcFiA

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

trump twitted,
"To those families and citizens who are worried and concerned for themselves and their loved ones, I want you to know that your Federal Government will unleash every authority, resource and tool at its disposal to safeguard the lives and health of our people."

But didn't godhead ronnie say, "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Do the repugs realize that their infallible leaders support conflicting ideas?

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 am
trump twitted,
"To those families and citizens who are worried and concerned for themselves and their loved ones, I want you to know that your Federal Government (what little is left of it after my 3 years of trashing) will unleash every authority,(led by toadie incompetents appointed because they kiss my ass) resource and tool at its disposal to safeguard the lives and health of our people. (or at least the rich white ones with non-Hispanic names and who can afford their own health insurance)"

But didn't godhead ronnie say, "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

There - fixed it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

White House Correspondent Dodges Falling Lights Like She's In 'The Matrix'

Philadelphia Eagles
@Eagles

Scouting report: Prospect clearly has superior knowledge of the game and raw talent to complement her speed. Elite ability to avoid contact in small spaces.
Kristen Welker
@kwelkernbc

Put me in, coach!

cc: @Eagles
:lol: :clap: :-||
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:36 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 am
trump twitted,
"To those families and citizens who are worried and concerned for themselves and their loved ones, I want you to know that your Federal Government (what little is left of it after my 3 years of trashing) will unleash every authority,(led by toadie incompetents appointed because they kiss my ass) resource and tool at its disposal to safeguard the lives and health of our people. (or at least the rich white ones with non-Hispanic names and who can afford their own health insurance)"

There - fixed it.
Thanks

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Saw this on Reddit.

Dude made a basket out of vines he harvested. Real cool.

Except unbeknownst to him said vines are poison ivy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Survival/comme ... urce=share

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:31 am
Saw this on Reddit.

Dude made a basket out of vines he harvested. Real cool.

Except unbeknownst to him said vines are poison ivy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Survival/comme ... urce=share
We made wristbands out of poison ivy in cub scouts (3rd grade)