Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:47 am
... Any ideas on packages? We have started putting them in the garage and plan on waiting a couple of weeks before opening them....
I think a couple of days is probably sufficient. Having no cell walls, viruses are not very hardy outside of a host. Anything that you can put in the sun (UVs) without getting it stolen will be safer much quicker.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm sure there must be some fluke transmission, but it looks like the primary risk is direct contact with respiratory drops - getting coughed or sneezed on - followed by direct contact with a recent deposit, such as shaking hands with someone who has coughed. Picking it up from surfaces is possible, but less likely to result in transmission unless you use that germy hand to touch your mouth, nose, or eyes. In any transmission from a surface (door handle, grocery cart, package, etc.), you still have to have the face touch. Apparently the virus can't enter a body directly from the hands. So, bottom line - avoid people like the plague, wash your hands like Lady MacBeth, wipe surfaces and don't touch your face with an unwashed hand and all should be fine. I'm not a medical person and don't play one on TV, but I read a lot.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 am
... wash your hands like Lady MacBeth ...
Pontius Pilate got a bum rap. He should be resurrected ( :wave: ) as a hero for modern times.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Here's Cody

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/hea ... f3934.html

I notice too that the same escambia county that closed all beaches to everyone is still running countywide bus service - including to Pensacola Beach.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm
... I notice too that the same escambia county that closed all beaches to everyone is still running countywide bus service - including to Pensacola Beach.
That's a tough one. I saw a pic of a crowded NYC subway, but what are people without cars supposed to do?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:12 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm
... I notice too that the same escambia county that closed all beaches to everyone is still running countywide bus service - including to Pensacola Beach.
That's a tough one. I saw a pic of a crowded NYC subway, but what are people without cars supposed to do?

Buses and subways could undo all other efforts.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:27 pm
I suppose, I just don't know what the alternative is.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:39 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:27 pm
I suppose, I just don't know what the alternative is.

Walk, stay home, drive, but subways and public buses should have been one of the first things shut down.

Or we could just do the easy ones and let it spread as some as suggesting.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:57 pm
Walk, stay home, drive, but subways and public buses should have been one of the first things shut down.

Or we could just do the easy ones and let it spread as some as suggesting.
Shutting them down might be worth it, but:

"Walk" - some distances are too far and some can't walk at all
"stay home" - not possible forever
"drive" - if one has a car

What do we say to these people?

Maybe, idk - Monitored, enforced, mandatory symptom checks, masks and hand sanitizer for all riders, hourly cleaning?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Well, it would seem trump wants you to die. I've seen several sycophantic media nutjobs talking about how the economy is more important than getting sick (or dying). We've reached the bottom, folks. Long lines at gun stores, wingnut media talking about how older folks should sacrifice for the good of the country (economy). Mediocre at best effort to mobilize what federal power there is to deal with something like this. I think we're fucked. O Really is lucky as hell to have a mobile environment and generator. Salute. Went to the food store today and saw more than a few empty shelves....some things I were gonna buy were not there. Oh, lest I forget, Jerry Falwell Jr has decreed and prophesied that Liberty University will be open by god even if you die. Here's wishing Jerry god speed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:55 pm
Well, it would seem trump wants you to die. I've seen several sycophantic media nutjobs talking about how the economy is more important than getting sick (or dying). We've reached the bottom, folks. Long lines at gun stores, wingnut media talking about how older folks should sacrifice for the good of the country (economy). Mediocre at best effort to mobilize what federal power there is to deal with something like this. I think we're fucked. O Really is lucky as hell to have a mobile environment and generator. Salute. Went to the food store today and saw more than a few empty shelves....some things I were gonna buy were not there. Oh, lest I forget, Jerry Falwell Jr has decreed and prophesied that Liberty University will be open by god even if you die. Here's wishing Jerry god speed.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4020&p=114430#p114430

Not criticizing you, just FYI. Great minds . . .
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

:thumbup: :wave: Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How we measure disasters in the South, y'all:
Coronavirus breaks the ‘Waffle House Index’

Southerners have long relied on the Waffle House Index to understand the severity of a natural disaster. But the coronavirus pandemic has broken the metric with the breakfast chain announcing the closure of a quarter of its restaurants on Wednesday.

The crisis has interrupted Richard Bennett’s daily ritual that includes stopping off at the Waffle House on U.S. 98 in Daphne to order breakfast, socialize with four-to-five other regulars and “get brought down to Earth” by the waitresses.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:10 pm
You're giving DeSantis too much credit.
https://www.politico.com/states/florida ... us-1268818
Biden blindsides Trump’s Florida ally
The former veep singled out Gov. Ron DeSantis for harsh criticism over his coronavirus response.

... Florida, which has the highest percentage of 65 and older population in the nation, has been slow to test for coronavirus. But as testing has ramped up, so have reported caseloads, which surged 35 percent in a day’s time to 1,977....
The ads on the weak and slow IMPOSPOTUS/DeSantis response, alongside FL morbidity and mortality numbers, will write themselves.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:55 pm
I agree with your assessment. "We're fucked". This two weeks of isolation has been a joke, in that most people aren't following it, and some states aren't even doing it. It hasn't reset the clock, it hasn't shown any sign of slowing the virus spread down. Our testing is still no where close to what's needed. Our leadership is more concerned about bailing out corporations than helping people.

Pisses me off that humans are so selfish.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 pm
Meanwhile, sadly, Trump's poll figures are at their historic highs. Go figure. The man who stupidly de-funded out pandemic response team two years ago, who has consistently been wrong about the corona virus, and given bad medical advice, should be universally reviled.

About that...
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/expect-t ... 02475.html

O Really
Admiral

Yahoo does have a lot of junk, but they also have some good writers too. Also, much of what's there is simply transmitted from somewhere else, same as Google news, Associated Press, or Reuters. I never had the urge to visit the LNF. If I want heartburn I'll just add more cayenne to the chili.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The 45SHOLE effect on the economy will get spun by both sides, and people will cut him some pandemic slack. Otoh, you can't put as much spin to the sick and dead numbers. If people feel that he downplayed that and/or made them worse, it'll be harder to hide from.

I think Yahoo! posts as good an assortment of mainstream news sources as anyone I've found, including right-wing WSJ, Faux Noise and NationalReview, along with militarist National Interest, and that their own writers are as competent as most outlets. Cons do love to screech about it, though.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 pm
The ads on the weak and slow IMPOSPOTUS/DeSantis response, alongside FL morbidity and mortality numbers, will write themselves.
:wave:

Trump Campaign Wants Coronavirus Ad Taken Down: Campaign Update

Whatever happens with this one ad and the objection to it, we all know that IMPOSPOTUS has downplayed the seriousness of CV-19, and continues to overly optimistic about its likely course. He will pay for it in Nov, death tallies don't lie.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:35 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 pm
:wave:

Trump Campaign Wants Coronavirus Ad Taken Down: Campaign Update

Whatever happens with this one ad and the objection to it, we all know that IMPOSPOTUS has downplayed the seriousness of CV-19, and continues to overly optimistic about its likely course. He will pay for it in Nov, death tallies don't lie.
Adding fuel to the effed up fire, handling it perfectly, a ten!

This is potentially very scary. How totally unprepared we may be and our inability to manufacture much needed supplies on any sort of timely basis.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.