Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by Vrede too »

Limier than most wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 pm
... Here in UK, where I am about as limey as the next man rather than, as here, limier than most, we lost appx. 16k dead last year to flu.

This year so far 1600 to Corvid.
563 CV-19 deaths in the UK just yesterday alone, a pace of 205,495 per year, 0.3% of its population. In comparison, the UK lost about 450,900 military and civilians combined, 0.94% of its population, over a little less than 6 years of WW2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War ... by_country
So, the question for y'all is how much short term and unknown long term economic harm is worth reducing that current CV-19 toll.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/politics ... index.html

Nation's top coronavirus expert Dr. Anthony Fauci forced to beef up security as death threats increase
A source also confirmed to CNN last week the presence of several members of the Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police Department stationed at all times around Fauci's home in the district. The source added the stepped up visible police presence was a response to growing threats to Fauci's safety, though the source of the threats was not identified.
Why?
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:07 am

Nation's top coronavirus expert Dr. Anthony Fauci forced to beef up security as death threats increase
A source also confirmed to CNN last week the presence of several members of the Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police Department stationed at all times around Fauci's home in the district. The source added the stepped up visible police presence was a response to growing threats to Fauci's safety, though the source of the threats was not identified.
Why?
Because Trumpettes. He contradicted PINO a few times 2-3 weeks ago. Then, he did a facepalm, which may or may not have been coincidental, when 45SHOLE made a "deep state" reference. An email was also discovered where he admired Hillary's Benghazi fortitude 7 years ago.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:26 am
Whack9 wrote:

Why?
Because Trumpettes. He contradicted PINO a few times 2-3 weeks ago. Then, he did a facepalm, which may or may not have been coincidental, when 45SHOLE made a "deep state" reference. An email was also discovered where he admired Hillary's Benghazi fortitude 7 years ago.
Insanity.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:02 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:26 am
Whack9 wrote:

Why?
Insanity.
It's the right wing variation on the Kevin Bacon game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Deg ... evin_Bacon
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

By now a lot of people have heard and believe that Florida has finally come on board the - let's do what we can - train. We done got us a real honest to goodness executive order - an EO to Stay Home and Be Safe.

unless you feel the need to attend, in the words of my governor, a "religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship."

Wouldn't wanna reduce god to a tv character, or, even worse, a chance at a personal deepening of understanding - when piling remaining non symptomatic family members into a car to pick up friends to go sit in a church and pray for the 2 sick immediate family members and listen to the story if how they are persecuted and were almost shut down.

And this EO cancels any more restrictive local rules

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/arc ... s-outbreak
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Limier than most
Red Shirt

Unread post by Limier than most »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:50 am
Limier than most wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:13 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:41 pm
.1 to 1.0 is an order of magnitude.
Roadhouse Blues; the Doors......I woke up this mornin' got myself a beer....the future's uncertain, the end is always near. An old song with new relevance.
It's within an order of magnitude.

I wouldn't like to see ungraduated responses.

If a thing is twice as bad as normal, lets have twice the response; if a thing is between 1 and 10 times as bad as normal, I'm uncomfortable with a 100 times or 1000 times response.
An order of magnitude is generally and typically a tenfold increase from a previous condition. All of the following represent an order of magnitude increase whether you're talking about how many fish in a barrel or anything else. 1 to 10, 10 to 100, 100 to 1,000, 1.000 to 10,000. The actual amount of fish in the barrel and the difference between the existing and next order of magnitude gets higher the further up the scale you go with this. But each step up the progression is an order of magnitude increase. I don't know what you're talking about with "ungraduated responses" unless you're just referring to random chance increases of something that cannot be mathematically correlated to causal conditions.

I meant that the response - effectively trashing the economy to prevent Xn life years lost - looks vastly disproportionate compared to tbe annual 'flu numbers.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm
By now a lot of people have heard and believe that Florida has finally come on board the - let's do what we can - train. We done got us a real honest to goodness executive order - an EO to Stay Home and Be Safe.

unless you feel the need to attend, in the words of my governor, a "religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship."

Wouldn't wanna reduce god to a tv character, or, even worse, a chance at a personal deepening of understanding - when piling remaining non symptomatic family members into a car to pick up friends to go sit in a church and pray for the 2 sick immediate family members and listen to the story if how they are persecuted and were almost shut down.
Not to go out of my way to defend DeSantis, but:
However, he (arrested evangelical pastor Rodney Howard-Browne) still must limit his congregation to just 10 people or less to comply with a previous statewide executive order.
Seems that most churches can maintain adequate social distancing with just 10 people or less.
billy.pilgrim wrote:

That sucks, good ol' Big Brother state govt. We saw this all of the time in NC when the Repugs had complete control, most notably with the 'Bathroom Bill".
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I pride myself on my choice of supplements and have not yet had snake oil. Guess I've led a sheltered life.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Not to go out of my way to defend DeSantis, but:
However, he (arrested evangelical pastor Rodney Howard-Browne) still must limit his congregation to just 10 people or less to comply with a previous statewide executive order.
Seems that most churches can maintain adequate social distancing with just 10 people or less.
billy.pilgrim wrote:

That sucks, good ol' Big Brother state govt. We saw this all of the time in NC when the Repugs had complete control, most notably with the 'Bathroom Bill".

Oh I'm sure that the church people will follow the mandates of the ((Deep State)).

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:10 pm
Oh I'm sure that the church people will follow the mandates of the ((Deep State)).
The article strongly makes the case that the relidiots won't obey, but that's not really on DeSantis . . . this time. Sort of. One can make the case that any church exemption makes it easier for them to violate the 10 person max without consequence.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:16 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
The article strongly makes the case that the relidiots won't obey, but that's not really on DeSantis . . . this time. Sort of. One can make the case that any church exemption makes it easier for them to violate the 10 person max without consequence.
On desantis sure thing, but actually work ore like on my neighbors

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

http://eng.auburn.edu/news/2020/04/aubu ... lator.html

"A team of Auburn engineers has developed a way to quickly and inexpensively convert CPAP machines into ventilators, one of the most important tools hospitals have for helping COVID-19 patients."

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:

Why is Franklin Graham running scam ads in the San Diego market? He comes on screen, gives some prayer to say and says to "call this number" and "somebody will pray with you" (have your credit card ready?)

Dude's already got too much money if he can afford prime time ads in a major market, I'd say. But I guess you have to spend some to make some.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/opin ... virus.html

Jared's got this

"when New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, said that the state would need 30,000 ventilators at the apex of the coronavirus outbreak, Kushner decided that Cuomo was being alarmist. “I have all this data about I.C.U. capacity,” Kushner reportedly said. “I’m doing my own projections, and I’ve gotten a lot smarter about this. New York doesn’t need all the ventilators.” 

"on Thursday, when he made his debut at the White House’s daily coronavirus briefing: “People who have requests for different products and supplies, a lot of them are doing it based on projections which are not the realistic projections.”

"Kushner has succeeded at exactly three things in his life. He was born to the right parents, married well and learned how to influence his father-in-law. Most of his other endeavors — his biggest real estate deal, his foray into newspaper ownership, his attempt to broker a peace deal between the Israelis and the Palestinians — have been failures."

"The journalist Andrea Bernstein looked closely at Kushner’s business record for her recent book “American Oligarchs: The Kushners, the Trumps, and the Marriage of Money and Power,”

"Kushner, Bernstein told me, “really sees himself as a disrupter.” Again and again, she said, people who’d dealt with Kushner told her that whatever he did, he “believed he could do it better than anybody else, and he had supreme confidence in his own abilities and his own judgment even when he didn’t know what he was talking about.”

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:17 pm
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:55 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:59 pm
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:16 pm
It's only been a week. You and Little Lulu enjoy being cooped up, it's not like you're not use to it.
Hey asshole, this is your other asshole accusing the people who are risking their lives everyday working in hospitals with infected people and all without acting like a bunch whiny ass cops
You and Little Lulu are no different.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:09 am
All you do is call names and strut around waving the participation trophy you gave yourself. Yes, calling me a moronic incessant whiner is name calling - granted it's not as bad as your fuck you and other attacks you use when you don't know what you are talking about, but it's still childish vrede name calling.
Retirees are safe at home, while others continue to perform public service. I doubt that long time members here have ever stepped outside before the covid 19 health crisis. Now they have an excuse to stay inside. Little Lulu will keep you entertained.

oops, dumbass fails at describing anyone and everyone here.
You and Little Lulu

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

“Never allow a crisis to go to waste,” Emanuel said.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez furious that illegals won’t be getting stimulus package relief checks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:54 am
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/opin ... virus.html

Jared's got this ...
Your OpEd's headline:

Putting Jared Kushner In Charge Is Utter Madness
Trump’s son-in-law has no business running the coronavirus response.

I agree.

My understanding from a different article is that Jared has taken over the private end of things while VP Q-tip is "running" the govt end. I'm not sure what the original intent was, but this seems somewhat duplicative, confusing and a further emasculation of VP Q-tip since PINO does the pressers himself.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.