Music and Movies They Couldn't Make Now

Off the wall fun - this area may tread into work unsafe territory, be advised.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Music and Movies They Couldn't Make Now

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Greg55_99 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:47 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:58 am
Song of the South

I would need to watch again before arguing that Disney should allow it to be shown.

But to my memory, I see something historically real worth seeing today. In spite of his subservient station in life, Uncle Remus exhibits all the qualities of a true hero. It's his wisdom that moves the story.

I would be interested to hear Greg's take.
In truth, I've never seen the ENTIRE film, just parts over the years. I have ridden the theme ride at Disney World with my young daughter who paid zero attention to Breer Rabbit, the Bear or the fox. She had no clue. Let's say, at the age of 10, I'd frown on this film being shown in her classroom with her White friends. She'd have to be older to appreciate the period of time it was made and better understand it.

Greg
It's been a long time since I saw it, but what I remember was fit for children. True that Uncle Remus is "put in his place" by the white plantation owner, but they are presented as shallow and petty, while Uncle Remus is someone we would all want for an uncle or friend.

You are probably right, too bad though, it's a tear jerker. Even the white kids cry for Uncle Remus.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Greg55_99
Red Shirt

Unread post by Greg55_99 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:04 pm
Greg55_99 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Song of the South

I would need to watch again before arguing that Disney should allow it to be shown.

But to my memory, I see something historically real worth seeing today. In spite of his subservient station in life, Uncle Remus exhibits all the qualities of a true hero. It's his wisdom that moves the story.

In truth, I've never seen the ENTIRE film, just parts over the years. I have ridden the theme ride at Disney World with my young daughter who paid zero attention to Breer Rabbit, the Bear or the fox. She had no clue. Let's say, at the age of 10, I'd frown on this film being shown in her classroom with her White friends. She'd have to be older to appreciate the period of time it was made and better understand it.

Greg
It's been a long time since I saw it, but what I remember was fit for children. True that Uncle Remus is "put in his place" by the white plantation owner, but they are presented as shallow and petty, while Uncle Remus is someone we would all want for an uncle or friend.

You are probably right, too bad though, it's a tear jerker. Even the white kids cry for Uncle Remus.
Hmm... On a lark, imagine if this movie was remade in 1969 with Jim Brown as Uncle Remus. Woulda been a hit!

Greg :lol:
"Truth MATTERS"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Greg55_99 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:10 pm
Hmm... On a lark, imagine if this movie was remade in 1969 with Jim Brown as Uncle Remus. Woulda been a hit!

Greg :lol:
Isaac Hayes ;)

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Greg55_99
Red Shirt

Ulysses wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:46 pm
Found this version...

And it shows up after about five minutes of the Rufus Jones for President movie...
Sings, dances and chomps on a chicken wing at seven years old. The man DID have talent.

My grandmother would sing that whenever my father got on her nerves (damn near every time she saw him).

Greg
"Truth MATTERS"

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Greg55_99 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Song of the South

Greg
Yeah, we sure screwed up a lot of art with our hate and bs over race. I guess you are right about this. When they are young enough to love it, they aren't old enough to understand. Save it for the classroom and the museum.

As long as we get to keep having those "zip-a-dee-doo-dah days. Now that's the kind of day when you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!"

https://youtu.be/loXiGSe9l4A
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Greg55_99
Red Shirt

In the current #Metoo environment, a movie like "Waterhole #3" could NOT be made for sure.

Greg
"Truth MATTERS"

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Greg55_99 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:20 pm
In the current #Metoo environment, a movie like "Waterhole #3" could NOT be made for sure.

Greg
Never saw it, but I read the synopsis and I agree.

O Really
Admiral

Woody Guthrie probably wouldn't include the part about "hung every Indian with smoke in their guns" if he re-did it now.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:28 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:55 am
Greg55_99 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Song of the South

Greg
Yeah, we sure screwed up a lot of art with our hate and bs over race. I guess you are right about this. When they are young enough to love it, they aren't old enough to understand. Save it for the classroom and the museum.

As long as we get to keep having those "zip-a-dee-doo-dah days. Now that's the kind of day when you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!"

https://youtu.be/loXiGSe9l4A
I remember feeling sorry for the "tar baby"...
Little Black Sambo may have been a ting racist.

You know, I'm a little surprised that I'm not the racist that so many of the people I grew up with are.

Greg55_99
Red Shirt

How COULD I have forgotten "Blazing Saddles".

Greg
"Truth MATTERS"

O Really
Admiral

Greg55_99 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:32 pm

Greg
Can't you see that man's a ni -?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:38 pm
Greg55_99 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:32 pm

Greg
Can't you see that man's a ni -?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazing_S ... Production
... Brooks had numerous conflicts over content with Warner Bros. executives, including frequent use of the word "nigger", Lili Von Shtupp's seduction scene, the cacophony of flatulence around the campfire, and Mongo punching out a horse. Brooks, whose contract gave him final content control, declined to make any substantive changes, with the exception of cutting Bart's final line during Lili's seduction: "I hate to disappoint you, ma'am, but you're sucking my arm." When asked later about the many "nigger" references, Brooks said he received consistent support from (writer Richard) Pryor and (star Cleavon) Little. He added, "If they did a remake of Blazing Saddles today [2012], they would leave out the N-word. And then, you've got no movie." Brooks said he received many letters of complaint after the film's release.

The film was almost not released. "When we screened it for executives, there were few laughs", said Brooks. "The head of distribution said, 'Let’s dump it and take a loss.' But [studio president John] Calley insisted they open it in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago as a test. It became the studio's top moneymaker that summer." The world premiere took place on February 7, 1974, at the Pickwick Drive-In Theater in Burbank; 250 invited guests—including Little and Wilder—watched the film on horseback. The film's subtitle on the poster, "or never give a saga an even break! refers to W.C. Fields' film (and motto) "Never Give a Sucker an Even Break".
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

26th rated film on civil rights on IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls020864001/

Probably couldn't be made today, glad it was made when it was.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:51 pm

Sure - the Black guy is the real hero - no "white saviour" necessary. Makes the case for non-discrimination in hiring or community relations. Makes the point about it being ignorance (about a person, etc.) that feeds prejudice. Gay guys are heros, too. Hedley's army took all races and ethnic groups, whether or not they needed "stinkin' badges." Alcohol dependency treated sympathetically. But still, it would be a no-go now.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:44 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:51 pm

Excellent list, thanks.
In order to ruin a western town, a corrupt politician appoints a black Sheriff, who promptly becomes his most formidable adversary.
Sure - the Black guy is the real hero - no "white saviour" necessary. Makes the case for non-discrimination in hiring or community relations.

The reason TO discriminate in hiring is that blacks will do a superior, more ethical job. :D

Makes the point about it being ignorance (about a person, etc.) that feeds prejudice. Gay guys are heros, too. Hedley's army took all races and ethnic groups, whether or not they needed "stinkin' badges." Alcohol dependency treated sympathetically. But still, it would be a no-go now.
I was going to say that maybe it could be made given the context of "nigger", etc., but I can't really argue with Brooks, or y'all. At least it's still shown on TV whereas there are probably other films that we'll never see again, maybe not even on some of the subscription services.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 am

I was going to say that maybe it could be made given the context of "nigger", etc., but I can't really argue with Brooks, or y'all. At least it's still shown on TV whereas there are probably other films that we'll never see again, maybe not even on some of the subscription services.
It is one of the more ridiculous parts of our society that a word can't be spoken or written in its entirety - even as a quote from an old book, and yet it can be referenced as "the N word" or "Ni***r" and everyone know what it means and hears "nigger" in their head. I'm glad use of the word as an epithet is socially unacceptable, but really, it's ridiculous to punish a college instructor for reading a segment of "Tom Sawyer" out loud.

Besides, I always thought "the N word" was from the knights who say "ni".

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:00 am
It is one of the more ridiculous parts of our society that a word can't be spoken or written in its entirety - even as a quote from an old book, and yet it can be referenced as "the N word" or "Ni***r" and everyone know what it means and hears "nigger" in their head. I'm glad use of the word as an epithet is socially unacceptable, but really, it's ridiculous to punish a college instructor for reading a segment of "Tom Sawyer" out loud.

I felt a little uncomfortable quoting Wiki 3 times, but I went ahead. Not sure what I would do if we were having an in-person conversation.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:11 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:00 am

I felt a little uncomfortable quoting Wiki 3 times, but I went ahead. Not sure what I would do if we were having an in-person conversation.
Just use "motherfucker" instead. Apparently it's less offensive. :roll:

Which reminds me of an old (maybe "dad-type) joke:
An old WWII pilot was being interviewed on TV. He was describing his adventures in the war "I looked out and there was a fokker on my right, and there was another fokker on my left." The interviewer, concerned about the audience, attempted to clarify. "For those who may not know, a 'fokker" is a type of airplane, right?" The pilot responded, "Yah, but these fokkers were flying Messerschmitts." Ba-da-boom.