Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:46 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:31 pm
They were supposed to stay home. He could have walked his dog and washed his car at home; instead he chose to break quarantine and interact with others on the public sidewalks and at commercial businesses, including a car wash.

Locking theme up is apparently the only way to get them to comply.
Thanks, I was assuming washing the car in the driveway. I would still want to know what their interactions with others at the car wash and while walking the dog looked like.
I;ve never been to Key West or any of the Keys, but I would be surprised if there are ANY car wash businesses there. I would also be surprised to know there are no restrictions on residents about washing cars on the islands since I doubt they have a huge water supply. However, I would not be surprised to find out trump wants to postpone the election because people are washing cars and being arrested for it since it is glaringly against trump's notion of "freedom."
You haven't lived around salt water. I would bet there are more car washes on the keys per capita than in your area.

You can literally end up with no paint without constant rinsing.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:31 pm
Why do you care what they were doing past breaking the only kind of law that can slow or stop this thing?

I would love to see more serious laws and if the idiots want to go to jail - fine, just don't house them with the uninfected.
IMO blindly enforcing laws for likely inconsequential things like dog walking and car washing hinders enforcement for more serious activities like indoor shopping.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm

I would love to see more serious laws and if the idiots want to go to jail - fine, just don't house them with the uninfected.
IMO blindly enforcing laws for likely inconsequential things like dog walking and car washing hinders enforcement for more serious activities like indoor shopping.
[/quote]

Sure, but what I think I've seen is that anybody that intentionally violates an isolation period is likely creating more risk than just "walking the dog" might seem like. Of course one could walk the dog and stay totally away from anybody, but he could also have been out with no mask, walking the dog on a somewhat crowded sidewalk or trail, stoppping to talk with people, spreading his covids around. The point isn't whatever the specific activity he's doing when he's off the rez (opps), it's that he's off the rez in the first place.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:52 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sure, but what I think I've seen is that anybody that intentionally violates an isolation period is likely creating more risk than just "walking the dog" might seem like. Of course one could walk the dog and stay totally away from anybody, but he could also have been out with no mask, walking the dog on a somewhat crowded sidewalk or trail, stoppping to talk with people, spreading his covids around....
"likely" is not a crime. I distance as far as I can from unmasked people. If < 6', I get by them rapidly. I also wear an N95 mask - supposed viral protection. Beyond that:
Vrede too wrote:
... I would still want to know what their interactions with others at the car wash and while walking the dog looked like.
If you are correct, I'm fine with the enforcement.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:03 pm

"likely" is not a crime. I distance as far as I can from unmasked people. If < 6', I get by them rapidly. I also wear an N95 mask - supposed viral protection. Beyond that:
Vrede too wrote:
... I would still want to know what their interactions with others at the car wash and while walking the dog looked like.
If you are correct, I'm fine with the enforcement.
True, "likely" is not a crime. But in their case, being out running around doing anything is. My point is that we probably shouldn't shed crocodile tears over their being busted for something as minor as walking their dog because there's probably more to it than we know. As to why the neighbours were recording them, my guess - guess - is that they and their three other roommates aren't the most docile in the neighbourhood, and may have had people in and out and in groups, probably all without masks and crowding up loudly speaking with each other or singing "Louie Louie." So when they got grounded, the neighbours were happy to help keep them in trouble.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:22 pm
True, "likely" is not a crime. But in their case, being out running around doing anything is. My point is that we probably shouldn't shed crocodile tears over their being busted for something as minor as walking their dog because there's probably more to it than we know. As to why the neighbours were recording them, my guess - guess - is that they and their three other roommates aren't the most docile in the neighbourhood, and may have had people in and out and in groups, probably all without masks and crowding up loudly speaking with each other or singing "Louie Louie." So when they got grounded, the neighbours were happy to help keep them in trouble.
My interest is more in reasonable and wise law enforcement than their personal inconvenience.

You may be correct about them, but I also wondered whether their being Latino is the root interest of the nosy neighbors and aggressive cops.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:37 pm

My interest is more in reasonable and wise law enforcement than their personal inconvenience.

You may be correct about them, but I also wondered whether their being Latino is the root interest of the nosy neighbors and aggressive cops.
I don't know that the neighbours were particularly nosy, nor the cops particularly aggressive. Apparently the cops warned them more than once before hauling them in, and it's likely the neighbours would be aware of their quarantine. I don't find it unreasonable at all to record and report a neighbour that you know has covid and is out spreading it around. I mean, avoiding covid is a serious issue, and people who are doing their best don't take kindly to those who increase their risk. They yell at strangers not wearing masks; they hit people who are crowding them too tightly; one Miami "Florida Man" was sufficiently skeered that he fired "warning shots" at people not socially distancing. Everybody is sick and tired of the situation, and frustrated with the government (especially places like Florida), feel powerless to do much about it yet know that if everybody just made a simple effort of staying away from people, out of bars and crowds, and wearing face covers the pandemic could be controlled. It's not a time to be lenient with those wilfully spreading the plague.

Remember when the pics were in the news of Chinese health enforcers dragging people off buses and out of buildings for not wearing masks? And America says "that's awful!" But China got 4,500 deaths vs. USA #1 158,000 and counting. Thanks Trump.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I'm for enforcement and if you let the small stuff off, then more and more expect the same.

If they don't think it's dangerous, lock them up in their own little covid-19 exchange centers.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:05 am

If they don't think it's dangerous, lock them up in their own little covid-19 exchange centers.
Those are called "bars", "churches", and coming soon "schools."

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
They were supposed to stay home. He could have walked his dog and washed his car at home; instead he chose to break quarantine and interact with others on the public sidewalks and at commercial businesses, including a car wash.

Thanks, I was assuming washing the car in the driveway. I would still want to know what their interactions with others at the car wash and while walking the dog looked like.
I;ve never been to Key West or any of the Keys, but I would be surprised if there are ANY car wash businesses there. I would also be surprised to know there are no restrictions on residents about washing cars on the islands since I doubt they have a huge water supply. However, I would not be surprised to find out trump wants to postpone the election because people are washing cars and being arrested for it since it is glaringly against trump's notion of "freedom."
Why do you care what they were doing past breaking the only kind of law that can slow or stop this thing?

Ah, you misinterpret what I wrote; I personally do not care if these people live or die; I was just opining about whether or not one CAN wash a car anywhere other than their own yard and even then if there's water restrictions.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:41 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

You haven't lived around salt water. I would bet there are more car washes on the keys per capita than in your area.

You can literally end up with no paint without constant rinsing.
You are correct; I've not "lived" around salt water except for the four years I lived on either the USS Kilauea or the USS Lockwood. Other than that, I've been to various seaside resorts numerous times in my own vehicle and am very much aware of the salt scum that settles on cars and other surfaces overnight. The fact that the US Navy is ALWAYS painting something also clued me in.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I’m all for strict enforcement in crowds, especially indoors, but I'll bet that no one ever gets arrested here:

In Ultra-Wealthy Greenwich, Teen Parties Lead to Jump in Virus Cases
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:31 am
I’m all for strict enforcement in crowds, especially indoors, but I'll bet that no one ever gets arrested here:

I missed my 2 week exchange with these rich snobs in my senior year, due to wearing a full leg cast after knee surgery.
Of those who went, all said that they were treated like shit and told by students, parent chaperones and teachers alike to stop with the stupid accents.

I did host one of these assholes at my house.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 am
I missed my 2 week exchange with these rich snobs in my senior year, due to wearing a full leg cast after knee surgery.
Of those who went, all said that they were treated like shit and told by students, parent chaperones and teachers alike to stop with the stupid accents.

I did not know that there are North-South exchange programs.

Did you tell the asshole to stop with the stupid accent? :D
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:

At least in part because apparently no laws were violated. Unfortunately, stupidity isn't always illegal.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:43 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 am

I did not know that there are North-South exchange programs.

Did you tell the asshole to stop with the stupid accent? :D
One of my teachers organized it for just our Humanities class. We tried to be nice. They all left believing we were faking.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:13 am
Vrede too wrote:

At least in part because apparently no laws were violated. Unfortunately, stupidity isn't always illegal.
I meant that I'll bet that no one ever gets arrested here now that they are positive and quarantined. I can't imagine that there will be 100% compliance.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

What could go wrong?

Open the Schools!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am
What could go wrong?

Open the Schools!
Article here about that pic and the Paulson GA school where it was, as well as similar related content.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... demic.html

The inmates are truly running the asylum. :(

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:42 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am
What could go wrong?

Open the Schools!
Article here about that pic and the Paulson GA school where it was, as well as similar related content.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... demic.html

The inmates are truly running the asylum. :(
But not Barron's school
Or any other rich kid's private school