Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:42 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am
What could go wrong?

Open the Schools!
Article here about that pic and the Paulson GA school where it was, as well as similar related content.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... demic.html

The inmates are truly running the asylum. :(
Guess the next hotspots are identified.
Cra Cra.
This country is Covid screwed.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

That GA school is indeed "Cra Cra." I can almost see the impetus to open, but doing so without strict mask and distance measures is criminal.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:44 am
But not Barron's school
Or any other rich kid's private school
I think Barron's school will announce its plans next week. My childhood Montgomery County, MD had ordered private schools to wait unto Oct at least, but Gov Hogan (R) overrode that order saying it was beyond a county's authority.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:03 am
That GA school is indeed "Cra Cra." I can almost see the impetus to open, but doing so without strict mask and distance measures is criminal.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:44 am
But not Barron's school
Or any other rich kid's private school
I think Barron's school will announce its plans next week. My childhood Montgomery County, MD had ordered private schools to wait unto Oct at least, but Gov Hogan (R) overrode that order saying it was beyond a county's authority.
Little Barr Barr is staying in his hidey hole.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/politics ... index.html

I'd pay money to see Melania's reaction if the little prince were forced to go back.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 am
Little Barr Barr is staying in his hidey hole.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/politics ... index.html

I'd pay money to see Melania's reaction if the little prince were forced to go back.
Thanks.

"Kosasky's letter to parents indicates St. Andrew's has opted to side with the county's suggestion"

Good for them. I was wondering if they were willing to be a local pariah. Looks like they chose to snub PINO, instead. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

He tweeted this himself....unreal.

His electoral bet is made on his "gut" regarding Covid.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:51 pm
He tweeted this himself....unreal.

His electoral bet is made on his "gut" regarding Covid.
"This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules."
:lol: :---P
Most of the coronavirus tests the U.S. does are worthless. But there's a solution that could actually work — and stop the spread.

To stop its raging coronavirus outbreak, which is currently spreading at a rate of about 60,000 new cases per day, the United States can do one of two things.

Either it can lock everybody down completely — or it can test everybody constantly.

The lockdown approach works because if infected people can’t get close to noninfected people, the chain of transmission is broken, even if we don’t know who is actually infected.

The testing approach works because it lets us identify infected people and isolate them from noninfected people without forcing everybody else to stay home.

The problem with lockdowns, however, is that after enduring a big national one this spring — and suffering the economic fallout with little to show for it — Americans have zero appetite for even targeted, localized sequels.

That leaves testing....
Summary:
While highly accurate the current testing infrastructure is overwhelmed and is unable to deal with a pandemic of this size.
We could do self-read testing at home every couple of days. It is not as sensitive as lab testing - more false negatives if the viral load is low. However, it will usefully ID far more true positives than the status quo since people are getting discouraged from being tested at all or are getting their results too late to be useful.

We'll see. We've often failed to act rationally this year.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Paulding GA school system that already stepped on its own dick now invites all the internet to step on its dick.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/la ... way-photos

O Really
Admiral

Totally cool tool here. Gives you the chances of encountering somebody with covid in every county of the US, assuming attendance at an event of 10, 25, or 100 people.

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:00 pm
Totally cool tool here. Gives you the chances of encountering somebody with covid in every county of the US, assuming attendance at an event of 10, 25, or 100 people.

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/
Thanks! Added to How to know and avoid Corona Virus risks for easy long term access.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4153&p=125468#p125468

We BRDistas are all screwed.

With a low “Ascertainment Bias”, 5, my risk level is:
11% with 10 people (most shopping trips);
26% with 25 people (some shopping trips);
70% with 100 people (never).
I’m not doing recreational trips.

:problem:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:10 pm

We BRDistas are all screwed.

With a low “Ascertainment Bias”, 5, my risk level is:
11% with 10 people (most shopping trips);
26% with 25 people (some shopping trips);
70% with 100 people (never).
I’m not doing recreational trips.

:problem:
I think it's a great starting point, but it can also be adapted further for specific circumstances if other data/info is available. F'rinstance, using the bias of 10, San Diego County has a 38% chance in a group of 25. But if you look at the county data, that breaks it down into towns, you find that the cases is much higher in the southern part of the county (Chula Vista and east, etc.) than in north county. So you can safely guess that the 38% county-wide would likely be less in north county. Washington, on the other hand, does not break counties down into towns, so you have to go with the overall number.

It's fun to play with, but IRL Lady O and I just assume that everybody has it and avoid them like the plague-carriers they might be.

But just for fun, I wonder what the chances are for Meade County SD (Sturgis) with 250K or more bikers showing up for the next couple of weeks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:40 pm
... But just for fun, I wonder what the chances are for Meade County SD (Sturgis) with 250K or more bikers showing up for the next couple of weeks.
:D With a high “Ascertainment Bias”, 10, and a gathering of "only" 100,000 the risk level is 99%.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"Wearing a mask is a personal choice, and there is no practical way to enforce a mandate to wear them."

Says the administrator of Paulding high school that probably sends students home or writes them up every effin' day for some petty "dress code" violation.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:51 pm
Paulding GA school system that already stepped on its own dick now invites all the internet to step on its dick.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/la ... way-photos
Suspension Lifted of Georgia Student Who Posted Photos of Crowded Hall

... A 15-year-old student at North Paulding, Hannah Watters, was suspended for five days for posting images of the crowded hallways on Twitter, according to her mother, Lynne Watters, who said she filed a grievance with the school on Thursday morning.

“I expressed my concerns and disagreement with that punishment,” Ms. Watters said in a text message Thursday.

On Friday morning, Hannah tweeted that the school had called and “deleted” her suspension. She will be able to return to school on Monday, she said. “To everyone supporting me, I can’t thank you enough,” she wrote.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
The high school and school district did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

In an interview with CNN, Hannah said she decided to post the images because she was worried about the safety of everyone in the school building when she saw that guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were not being followed.

Although she agreed that she had breached the school’s policy, which prohibits filming students and posting their images to social media, she told CNN that she didn’t regret her actions.

“I’d like to say this is some good and necessary trouble,” Hannah said, invoking the famous phrase of Representative John Lewis, the civil rights leader who was laid to rest in Atlanta last week. “My biggest concern is not only about me being safe, it’s about everyone being safe, because behind every teacher, student and staff member there is a family, there are friends, and I would just want to keep everyone safe.”
John Lewis is still inspiring people. Fwiw:

More self-incrimination:
The superintendent of the Paulding County School District, Brian Otott, defended his system’s reopening plan, saying in a letter to the community after the hallway photos circulated that the scenes were taken out of context. Students only remained in the hallways briefly while switching classes, he wrote, and the school was following recommendations issued by the Georgia Department of Education.

But he acknowledged, “There is no question that the photo does not look good.”

Masks are not required at the school, Mr. Otott said, though the administration strongly encourages them for students and staff members.

“Wearing a mask is a personal choice, and there is no practical way to enforce a mandate to wear them,” he wrote, adding that more than 2,000 students attend the high school.
Of course there is, no different from a dress code.
... The district’s guidelines say staff members will do their best to require students to maintain social distancing, but note that it would “not be possible to enforce social distancing in classrooms or on school buses unless it is a class or a bus with fewer students.”
Duh. IF schools are to open, then those in charge MUST make them as safe as possible. Period.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

What does it matter if students are only in the hallway for a bit if it's still jam packed, shoulder to shoulder? Seems like that's plenty of time to spread the virus.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:24 pm
What does it matter if students are only in the hallway for a bit if it's still jam packed, shoulder to shoulder? Seems like that's plenty of time to spread the virus.
School needs this, enforced:

Everyone wearing a mask while attending a football game in 1918. ( 102 years ago ):

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:10 pm
"Wearing a mask is a personal choice, and there is no practical way to enforce a mandate to wear them."

Says the administrator of Paulding high school that probably sends students home or writes them up every effin' day for some petty "dress code" violation.
Somebody else noticed, too...
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/georgia ... 00488.html
Apparently, Otott hasn't read his own school district's handbook, because they seemingly have no problem enforcing a dress mandate when it comes specifically to their female students. In the 54-page document obtained by Mother Jones, an entire page (p. 11) is dedicated to what articles of clothing students can and can't put on their bodies – most of which, is directed at female students.

The dress code is absurdly specific, stating that shorts "must be appropriate (5" from the top of kneecap as measured by a ruler or the width of a 3 x 5 index card)" and that "shoulders must be covered, and arm holes must be tight fitting." It also bans "pajamas, bedroom shoes, or other sleepwear," as well as "caps, hats, hoods, bandanas, wave caps, sweatbands, sunglasses, or any other head covering," – oh, and "cheerleaders must wear warm-ups under cheerleading uniforms except during games and pep rallies."

Apparently, the school is incapable of telling students to wear a simple trip of fabric on their face – something that can be seen at a millisecond glance – but when it comes to teen girls in shorts, WATCH OUT people, because they've got a 3x5 index card and they're not afraid to measure you with it.

Mother Jones also uncovered that one of the middle schools in the district has not one, but THREE pages about leggings in their 24-page dress code PowerPoint. LEGGINGS. An article of clothing that, to my knowledge, has never killed anyone before, unlike COVID-19.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:10 pm

Opps, I missed that you beat me to it. :oops:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

We used to smoke pot in high school between classes back in the early 70's and as far as I know, no one ever got caught doing so. And they'd never dare to come out with a dress code. Hell, we never knew who might be sick since we all coughed after hitting that old shitty Mexican pot.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:50 pm
We used to smoke pot in high school between classes back in the early 70's and as far as I know, no one ever got caught doing so. And they'd never dare to come out with a dress code. Hell, we never knew who might be sick since we all coughed after hitting that old shitty Mexican pot.
I guess they had one, but I don't remember a dress code being an issue in my HS. But I'm pretty sure there would have been no howling raging protest against wearing masks for a pandemic. Hell, it hadn't been that many years since they had us hiding under desks for "nuclear bomb drills" and standing outside in the snow for fire drills. Anybody who would be willing to freeze their ass off or hide under desks for pretend "emergencies" would surely be willing to wear a mask for a real one.

O Really
Admiral

Damn, who could possibly have expected or predicted this? At the Paulding school that had "no way to enforce" masks and let unmasked kids crowd up against each other in the hallways has an outbreak of Covid! Hoodathunk? At least 6 students and 3 staff (known so far). Of, if only there had been something the schools or parents could have done...

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/08/geor ... al-crowded