Olympics

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Olympics

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Why she shouldn't compete right now.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:40 am
Why she shouldn't compete right now.

Clearly.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I think Simone should take care of herself, and certainly if her mind isn't in it, she'd run serious risk of injury with the stuff she does. It does seem, though, that she must have known she had issues before she accepted a spot on this years team. Would have been nice for her to retire before going to Tokyo so somebody else could have had the spot.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:15 pm
I think Simone should take care of herself, and certainly if her mind isn't in it, she'd run serious risk of injury with the stuff she does. It does seem, though, that she must have known she had issues before she accepted a spot on this years team. Would have been nice for her to retire before going to Tokyo so somebody else could have had the spot.

Hard knowing, kind of like a baseball player getting the yips and can't throw to first, sometimes they just appear.

If she made the team she deserves to go, plus:

Simone Biles doesn't need more medals. She returned to the Olympics for something much more impactful
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
I think it's tough deciding what are doubts that should just be toughed out and which ones are competition ending until the fateful moment. No one wants to be a quitter after 5 years of prep. It was just 2 months ago that Biles landed a never-before-seen vault and won an all-around title:
viewtopic.php?p=137848#p137848
I'm not sure when the Olympic qualifying match was.

Someone stepped in for her in the team competition, and I believe did pretty well. With the individual all around I think the slot goes to the next highest qualifier, whether American or not. More than 2 from a country can try for it, but only a max of 2 are allowed in the finals.

Anyhow, she planned to retire after the Olympics. Assuming she does so, and not that I'm blaming her, what a crappy end to a GOAT career. :( At least Naomi Osaka can professionally bounce back if she wishes.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:44 pm
... Someone stepped in for her in the team competition, and I believe did pretty well. With the individual all around I think the slot goes to the next highest qualifier, whether American or not. More than 2 from a country can try for it, but only a max of 2 are allowed in the finals....
She is an American. :clap:
Meet Jade Carey, Simone Biles' replacement in the all-around final

Jade Carey finished ninth in the qualifiers for the women's all-around gymnastics competition at the Olympics, behind two of her teammates. But on Thursday, she will compete for a medal — as a replacement for Simone Biles....

The 21-year-old didn't qualify initially because she was the third-ranking American behind Biles and 18-year-old Sunisa Lee. She would have qualified with her ninth-place ranking, but the International Gymnastics Federation rules limit countries to two athletes per event in the finals....

She deferred enrollment at Oregon State to train and compete in the World Cup Series leading up to the Olympics.
Is it offensive to say that some Beaver will take Biles' place? :wave:
... Carey is capable of landing the most difficult tumbling pass ever performed by a woman — a layout triple-double. If she lands it successfully at the Games, it will be named after her.

Not even Biles has attempted the move in competition. The floor exercise skill involves a roundoff, a series of back handsprings, two backflips and three twists....
:shock: :-||

We may never know, but it’s possible that it was easier for Biles to withdraw with Carey next in line. Otherwise, she might have felt even more guilt for exactly the reason you cite.

My GUESS is that Biles will pick one or more event that she feels most comfortable in and will compete in it/them so that she doesn't go home empty handed.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:57 am
Auburn is in

A tad better than "in".

Way to go Suni - see you in Auburn , I hope.

https://youtu.be/f08Doq8ob-w
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Guess I don't have to bother watching tonight.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Watched the womens 3x3 basketball last night. It was fun to watch because of the skills of the players, but I had no idea street bb was an Olympic sport.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:55 am
You'll bother watching cause it's still fun.

Did you really think you'd make it through the day without being spoiled?

I gave up that ghost ages ago.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:55 am
I had no idea that anyone could avoid knowing. If you are referring t Suni, she was at the top of my news feed.
Did you watch the video?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:51 am
I had no idea that anyone could avoid knowing. If you are referring t Suni, she was at the top of my news feed.
Did you watch the video?
I've mostly been able to avoid spoilers by watching the Olympics broadcasts and not clicking on suspect articles. However, MSNBC just gave this one away as I was making lunch. Silly me, I thought maybe they wouldn't spoil their own prime time viewing. I'll watch your vid later, or maybe wait and pretend like it's fresh tonight.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This is kind of strange:
Map shows which states have the most support for Simone Biles after her withdrawal from Olympic all-around competition

... Some believe that the choice to drop out was brave and could open the door for other athletes to speak about their own mental health struggles, too. Others felt that the 24-year-old's withdrawal as a display of weakness and selfishness, calling her a "quitter."

The team at betonline.ag set out to determine which US states support Biles following her unprecedented decision in Tokyo.

Using geotagged Twitter data in the 48 hours following the team all-around competition - when Biles first bowed out - they tracked tweets, hashtags, and direct keyword phrases relating to Biles' choice to sit out.

Pro-Biles tweets contained contents such as "I support Simone Biles," #supportsimone, "support Simone," or mental health awareness hashtags about Biles like #mentalhealthawareness. On the other hand, tweets such as "Simone Biles is a quitter," "Biles quit on her team," "#simonequit," and those referencing Biles with negative hashtags like #quitter contributed to the tally of states opposed to Biles' opt-out.

Overall, based on more than 130,000 tracked tweets, the betonline.ag team found that most states showed majority support for Biles. While 34 states registered as pro-Biles on Twitter, another 16 - most of which are located in the Midwest - expressed anti-Biles sentiment.

Check out the full map below:

I have no reason to believe that it's a valid statistical method. However, 130,000 is a huge sample size. It's an odd result. Mostly red states grief her, but there are a lot of red states that don't. Then, there are ME and NH.

neoplacebo never looks at the Sports forum and I don't think that Whack9 does, either. So, we can only grief billy.pilgrim. :P
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

You think that for at least that red part of the map, particularly from Iowa down, might have been affected by Simone's race?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:06 pm
You think that for at least that red part of the map, particularly from Iowa down, might have been affected by Simone's race?
I'm sure it's a factor for some of the tweeters, but it's not consistent across all racist states. :confusion-scratchheadblue:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, it's not like there are any non-racist states, really, but some - particularly since Trump - have become more blatant in expressing their racism than they've been for several decades. I'm just thinking if Simone had been some cute white chick who competes for "Miss Mississippi" in the off season, there might have been more sympathy for her down there in the southerly world.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I don't see this as race. Looks more like education and that would include Maine and New Hampshire.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Just watched Suni on the uneven bars, she was awesome!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Canada: 11 medals, all won by women. Canadian retailers report major increases in TVs, earplugs and booze purchased by men.

Sunisa Lee -
Article: "first Hmong American (pronounced "mung") Olympic champion".
TV (maybe): first Hmong medalist.

Rebeca Andrade, silver medalist in the all-around competition -
First female Brazilian Olympic gym medalist ever.
2 steps out of bounds done her in. :(

Whichever x 2 + 11: :clap: :clap: .

The absence of big cheers after dismounts and tumbling runs is weird.
1312. ETTD.