Flashlight Follies

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Flashlight Follies

Unread post by Ulysses »

OK, so I have a variety of flashlights.

Probably because I don't like stumbling in the dark.

Among others, have a couple three nice ones, with LED bulbs. They take three C size batteries. I ran across one of them last evening. It was acting a bit strange. I concluded that was because the batteries expired in 2015.

Put new batteries in, these are supposed be good until 2025.

But, no light. Darn it.

Now, this particular flashlight has some cool features, in addition to the LED bulb. These include a collar around the bulb part of the thing that can change the beam from tight spot to wide angle. Nice. Less useful but impressive is the button at the rear, which can change the beam from low, to high, to flashing.

The only problem is that this button seems to be the problem. So I spent some time in the workshop on this thing. Took apart the button end, which involved pressing it out with a vice, and various other implements of destruction. After cleaning up some electrical portions, and viewing the little computer board hidden inside the button holder, put it all back together. It lit once at full power, but wouldn't turn off. Unscrewed it and tried again. No light. Fuck.

My next step is probably going to be to bypass the computerized control completely. Just need to get it to turn on and off at high power. Not entirely sure how to accomplish that, but I think the clever little computer is kaput. (It has an integrated circuit!). I know this will work, since if I just create a connection between the last battery and the flashlight body (it's aluminum), it lights up the way it should.

Or I could just scrap the thing or put it in the save for later box, and move on. It's not like I don't have others. It just amuses me to see if I can get it to work again.

Simple is better.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Flashlight Follies

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Riveting.

I had to replace the hinges on two kitchen cabinet doors. Went to two hardware stores, they didn't have what I needed.

Finally had to order from Amazon.

I also pulled out the fridge. It was dirty behind it.

I vacuumed the floor and mopped.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:00 pm
Riveting.

I had to replace the hinges on two kitchen cabinet doors. Went to two hardware stores, they didn't have what I needed.

Finally had to order from Amazon.

I also pulled out the fridge. It was dirty behind it.

I vacuumed the floor and mopped.
More detail, please.

Such as what kind of hinges? Plain steel, brass, or other? How many screws hold each hinge to the cabinet frame and the door itself?

What brand refrigerator? What style? Top freezer, bottom freezer, antique single door, french door, etc?

What kind of vacuum? Mop? What, if any, cleaning solution did you use?

Inquiring minds need to know.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm not sure I can keep up with you guys in the fast lane.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:42 pm
I'm not sure I can keep up with you guys in the fast lane.
Deep breaths, you can do it!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I suppose if there is a point here, it's that this little flashlight is a good example of what could be a perfectly good and long lasting torch that has been over-designed into extinction.

I mean, when you want a flashlight, you generally want just a light, right? On/Off would do quite well for 99% of its expected usage. And, with a simple on/off control, there would be no mini-computer board inside to fail.

Simplicity rules.

O Really
Admiral

Agreed that there should be no mini- or maxi- computer board in a flashlight. Maybe a flashing option on the switch would be good, but otherwise if it comes on reliably, shines bright, is in a waterproof case and has the potential to double as a weapon, it's good to go. No frills.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:01 pm
Agreed that there should be no mini- or maxi- computer board in a flashlight. Maybe a flashing option on the switch would be good, but otherwise if it comes on reliably, shines bright, is in a waterproof case and has the potential to double as a weapon, it's good to go. No frills.
Well, as luck would have it, I let it sit and stew on the counter in the patio kitchen overnight. Just picked it up and lo and behold it's working again. Well, sort of. The first round of button pushes, it went from low to high to flashing. The second round, low to high, no flashing. That's ok with me, I have no use for the flashing. But I suspect the little sillycon brain in it will go nuts again.

Actually from what I know from my computer electronics training, it probably doesn't have a microprocessor. Rather, it's got an integrated circuit and a timer to control voltage and the flash function. I suppose I could write down the IC number and look into it, but I have much better things to do.

However, if the flashlight starts singing "Daisy" like HAL in 2001:A Space Odyssey, I'm selling this place and moving to Alabama.

Maybe.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Well, today, after the flashlight had a good night's rest on the counter, it started operating "normally" again.

Low-High-Flash.

Go figure.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

My hinges are working normally also and my floor is still clean.

How about that.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:22 pm

How about that.
Good deal. You wouldn't want to come unhinged.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:49 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

How about that.
There are some who might say it's too late! -0-?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:49 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

How about that.
Would not an unhinged state have to be preceded by a hinged state?