Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:36 pm
Whoops.

Buffalo is next.
You called it! :shock:
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:37 pm
Assuming that there weren't any cancellations or surprise guests,
Guests for ESPN’s Chiefs-Giants Week 8 ‘Manning Cast’ alternate MNF broadcast

... Their latest list of guests has officially been revealed and includes comedian Jon Stewart, NFL legend Michael Strahan, Bills QB Josh Allen and NFL legend Michael Irvin....
Congrats to 1-6 Jacksonville on its upcoming victory! Never mind the 14.5 point spread. This will be worth a lap dance celebration.
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:51 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:30 pm
Crazy day!
No full moon.

Jacksonville! ...
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:04 am
Also GO:
Buffalo 5-2 > @Jacksonville 1-6.
Buffalo came in with the #1 scoring offense. So, the game saw 5 FGs, period. Jacksonville wins 9-6. It's last US win was the first game of 2020! Head to the bar, coach, the lap dances are on the house.
There was no Week 9 ManningCast:
https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/11 ... -week-9-10

Assuming that there weren't any cancellations or surprise guests, no active NFL players were on last night.
https://fansided.com/2021/11/15/monday- ... ams-49ers/
However, Draymond Green was on and the Golden State Warriors beat the Brooklyn Nets today. So, I guess the curse only works with the NFL.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:07 pm

However, Draymond Green was on and the Golden State Warriors beat the Brooklyn Nets today. So, I guess the curse only works with the NFL.
Gotta give Lefty a little credit.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/empty-seat ... 33527.html
Empty seats and scandals: It appears no one wants to be a Washington fan

The ageless Tom Brady was in town on Sunday, and it was a nice day to watch football even at a dull stadium stuck in the suburbs. The Washington Football Team were 9.5-point underdogs against Tampa Bay, but, still, only 52,128 of 82,000 tickets were sold for a game between Brady’s Bucs and the WFT, the lowest paid NFL attendance over the weekend.

Brady had a bad day, and the Football Team somehow put together a 19-play, 10½-minute touchdown drive to seal a shock 29-19 victory, but the lousy turnout was not a surprise. Washington are dead last in the NFL in average home attendance this season, selling an average of 51,291 tickets to their five home games. So Sunday was actually an improvement at the gate.

They have somehow managed to draw fewer fans than the winless Detroit Lions, who are averaging 52,016 per home game. Washington, fourth in average attendance in 2011 and 20th in 2019, are the only team in the NFL selling fewer than 80% of their tickets (Washington home games average 62.6% capacity, the next lowest rate in the league is the Lions’ 80.7%). To make matters worse, many of the fans who do buy tickets come to root for the other team.
It's been a long time since there were enthusiastic 'Skins fans.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:58 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/empty-seat ... 33527.html
... They have somehow managed to draw fewer fans than the winless Detroit Lions, who are averaging 52,016 per home game.

Ouch.

.... To make matters worse, many of the fans who do buy tickets come to root for the other team.

OUCH.
It's been a long time since there were enthusiastic 'Skins fans.
I remember when the waiting line for season tickets was years long. Jan. 1973:

O Really
Admiral

Well, the Lions haven't dumped their iconic logo and become the "Detroit Football Team". And they don't have Snyder.

I'm no expert on fan experience, but I don't think losing necessarily causes fans to desert their teams. There are several good examples of historically rotten teams that have loyal fans just "waiting for next year." And Detroit probably considers itself a hard-scrabble sort of us-against-the-world thing. Ownership and management can chase off fans, though. The Chargers were among those with ride or die fans putting up with many rotten years. But when the owner moved them a hundred miles up the road, all that loyalty was almost instantly lost.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:34 pm
Well, the Lions haven't dumped their iconic logo and become the "Detroit Football Team". And they don't have Snyder.

I'm no expert on fan experience, but I don't think losing necessarily causes fans to desert their teams. There are several good examples of historically rotten teams that have loyal fans just "waiting for next year." And Detroit probably considers itself a hard-scrabble sort of us-against-the-world thing. Ownership and management can chase off fans, though. The Chargers were among those with ride or die fans putting up with many rotten years. But when the owner moved them a hundred miles up the road, all that loyalty was almost instantly lost.
Idk why Lions attendance is poor. Detroit's depopulation and semi-permanent economic depression may be factors. Neither applies to the DC area. Snyder could make Bears fans reconsider.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 pm

Idk why Lions attendance is poor. Depopulation and semi-permanent economic depression may be factors. Neither applies to the DC area. Snyder could make Bears fans reconsider.
The "Detroit" market would extend well outside of the "depopulation and semi-permanent economic depression" area, but the stadium is downtown. It just seems like everybody I've ever encountered from Michigan is highly loyal to their teams, whether Lions, Tigers, (no Bears, oh my!) Pistons or RedWings. I wonder about the attendance at the other sports.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:29 pm
The "Detroit" market would extend well outside of the "depopulation and semi-permanent economic depression" area, but the stadium is downtown. It just seems like everybody I've ever encountered from Michigan is highly loyal to their teams, whether Lions, Tigers, (no Bears, oh my!) Pistons or RedWings. I wonder about the attendance at the other sports.
I'll skip the Pistons and Red Wings since their arenas are smaller and at least in theory they can lower ticket prices so that every game is a sellout, but the Tigers might be a valid comparison.
Examining fan attendance from the 2021 regular season

... According to ESPN this past Monday, MLB drew 45.3 million fans this season — obviously no where near the 68.5 million from 2019, but of course, much better than last year when literally no one was allowed in the stands (save for the neutral-site postseason games). Perhaps as expected — even though, like most teams, they didn’t start selling tickets until mid-June — the Dodgers led the way in home attendance, finishing the campaign with 2.8 million fans. The Braves came in second, with 2.3 million at Truist Park....
"Your" Padres were 3rd with 2,191,950 fans at 81 games for an average of 27,061. Here's all 30 teams on an interactive graph:

2021 Major League Baseball Attendance & Team Age

Looking at attendance/game and with #1 being the worst:

1. Miami
2. Oakland

4. Baltimore :(

8. Detroit

11. Seattle

13. DC

18. White Sox
19. SF

24. Cubs :clap:

28. San Diego :-||
29. Atlanta
30. LAD

I think it's safe to say that the WFT is especially unpopular, but Detroit sports are doing poorly in general. Idk what explains the baseball blues in Miami, Oakland, Baltimore and Seattle.

Fwiw, Atlanta baseball serves a huge, heavily populated area, everything from FL to DC, Chicago, STL and TX. I have WNC friends that are diehard Atlanta fans.

O Really
Admiral

The Padres attendance was up this year at least in part because after a loooong time of barely qualifying as "mediocre", a lot of people thought this might be "the year," what with Tatis and all. But no, they were mistaken. Nevertheless, there was higher than usual interest.

But back to the football topic, the situation with the team formerly known as "Skins doesn't seem to be just growing apathy, as might be expected, but actual active dislike - the sort of dislike those fans might normally have for Cowboys or Eagles. Those people are going to be hard to get back, even if Snyder dies/gets killed/sells out.

O Really
Admiral

It's surprising that the Mariners get the attendance they do:

Bottom line: As the Mariners begin the slow crawl to the 50th anniversary of the franchise, not only don't they have a World Series title. There’s not even an American League pennant.

In 42 years of existence, the M's have been to the postseason only four times, with all of those appearances coming in a six-year stretch from 1995 to 2001, including back-to-back ALCS appearances (and losses to the New York Yankees) in 2000 and 2001 that didn’t even go to seven games.

What’s been going on since? The Mariners have zero playoff appearances, and the last decade has been their worst since the 1980s.

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of Detroit Lions:

All-time record: 561-658-33 (.448 winning percentage)

Championships: 4 (1935, 1952, 1953, 1957)

Bottom line: Only four teams in the NFL have yet to play in the Super Bowl, and the Lions are the only NFC team with that dubious honor. In fact, the Lions are the only team to play the entirety of the Super Bowl era without making it to the Super Bowl.

There's a lot of bad football behind the Lions’ struggles, but there’s also a bit of mystery. After winning three NFL championships for the Lions in 1952, 1953 and 1957, the team traded quarterback Bobby Layne to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1958. Reportedly, Layne told the coaches the team wouldn’t win for 50 years.

So far, that losing hex has held true. Adding insult to ignominy, in 2008, the Lions became the first team in NFL history to go 0-16.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:23 pm
Speaking of Detroit Lions:

Bottom line: Only four teams in the NFL have yet to play in the Super Bowl, and the Lions are the only NFC team with that dubious honor. In fact, the Lions are the only team to play the entirety of the Super Bowl era without making it to the Super Bowl.

I guess the Cleveland Browns* get an asterisk because they became the Ravens and were resurrected even though all their history still resides in Cleveland?

Opps, nevermind, entirety of the Super Bowl era.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Speaking of Detroit Lions: ...
I always felt bad for Barry Sanders. If only . . .

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:12 pm
O Really wrote:
Speaking of Detroit Lions: ...
I always felt bad for Barry Sanders. If only . . .
As well as Billy Sims, whose career got cut short but he was awesome for five years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Sims

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:33 am
As well as Billy Sims, whose career got cut short but he was awesome for five years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Sims
Ugh, sad.

I kept thinking, 'They've got Barry, maybe this year." Then, after enough 1st round losses or not even making the playoffs it was just, 'Yeah, but it's Detroit.' :(

I didn't really watch ATL's 0-25 debacle at home last night, but stumbled on these:

the most Falcons drive ever

3 Falcons QBs throw 4 interceptions in 10 minutes

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Bummer.

As we don't have a #1 draft pick next season that's a double whammy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:24 pm
Bummer.

As we don't have a #1 draft pick next season that's a double whammy.
That's rough :( . . . and your season was going so well. :P

Speaking of stellar seasons:

Panthers' Cam Newton will start Week 11 vs. Washington Football Team

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

TV here:

Go @Carolina 5-5 > Washington 3-6.
Can Cam save the season? I'd guess not, but it's possible.
Will players, coaches, staff and townspeople ever rise up and slay the FrankenSnyder monster?

Go Baltimore 6-3, 1st AFC North > @Chicago 3-6.
Sorry, But Miami was a fluke. We could do real time Zoom trash talking ;) . Baltimore is favored by 5.

Go Dallas 7-2, 1st NFC East > @Kansas City 6-4, 1st AFC West.
:puke-left: :puke-left: , but I really hate that chant.

Also GO:

@Buffalo 6-3, 1st AFC East > Indianapolis 5-5.
Detroit 0-8-1 > @Cleveland 5-5. Cleveland is favored by 12.5 :roll: . It's time. I mean it this week.
@Minnesota 4-5, 2nd NFC North > COVID Bay 8-2, 1st NFC North.
Fuck Kaaron. COVID Bay is only favored by 1.
@NY Jets 2-7 > Miami 3-7. Worst game of the day?
San Francisco 4-5 > @Jacksonville 2-7.
@Las Vegas Traitors 5-4 > Cincinnati 5-4.
@Seattle 3-6 > Arizona 8-2, 1st NFC West.
Wilson is back and Arizona's lost 2 of last 3. Seattle favored by 2.5!
Pittsburgh 5-3-1 > @LA Traitors 5-4 tonight. Detroit was a fluke.
NY Giants 3-6 > Tampa Bay 6-3, 1st NFC South. Brady Bay favored by 11, sigh.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:42 am
TV here:

Go Baltimore 6-3, 1st AFC North > @Chicago 3-6.
Sorry, But Miami was a fluke. We could do real time Zoom trash talking ;) . Baltimore is favored by 5.
I see da Chicago "boys" paid a visit to Baltimore:

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson ruled out vs. Bears with non-COVID illness

With all the running he does I would have guessed that injury would knock him out first.
... Backup Tyler Huntley will take his place at Soldier Field. Huntley has appeared in four games during his two seasons with the Ravens, and has gone just 8-of-16 for 54 yards through the air. The former Utah star has not started an NFL game. Trace McSorley, who was brought up from their practice squad, would then serve as Huntley’s backup....
Ut-oh.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:42 am
TV here:

Go @Carolina 5-5 > Washington 3-6.
Can Cam save the season? I'd guess not, but it's possible.
Will players, coaches, staff and townspeople ever rise up and slay the FrankenSnyder monster?
Cam's playing well, added to his NFL record 44 games with a passing and running TD, but WFT is up 21-14 halfway through the 3rd.
Also GO:

@Minnesota 4-5, 2nd NFC North > COVID Bay 8-2, 1st NFC North.4-5, 2nd NFC North > COVID Bay 8-2, 1st NFC North.
Minnesota's up 23-10! :thumbup: