The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:57 pm
Comma or no, I think GaGa and her relationship/performance with Bennett is great. I started an appreciation of them two or three years ago when they first did that Christmas "Baby it's cold outside" ad.

Yeah, I enjoy language and have a lifelong understanding of the importance of knowing (even if not always using) the rules of usage, grammar, and words themselves. Drives me nut's to see sign's with apostrophe's stuck in improper place's. I always think - wait, somebody got a job to make a sign, put that apostrophe in there incorrectly and whoever looked at it after, including the customer, never even noticed?
Did you see this before it got put behind a Paramount+ paywall?
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:45 pm
Tonight's 60 Minutes Tony Bennett/Lady Gaga/Alzheimer’s report is very touching. It should be up on CBS and YT soon.
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:19 am
... Skip forward to the last segment at 28:40, "The Final Act". You'll have to sit through a few commercials.
https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/vi ... final-act/
Emmy worthy, IMO.
Maybe you can find it on YT if you don't have Paramount+, but watch out for shorter excerpts like Useless posted thinking that it was the entire thing.
viewtopic.php?p=145246#p145246

Anyhow,
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:28 pm
The Tony Bennett/Lady Gaga concert, One Last Time: An Evening with Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, that's featured at the end of the 60 Minutes report will be shown on CBS Sun 11/28 8 pm.
Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Perform “Anything Goes” on Colbert: Watch

It’s been a big couple of months for Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett: the duo released Love for Sale, their second collaborative album (and Bennett’s last) back in October, and just yesterday, it was nominated for Album of the Year by the Grammys. Soon after the nominations were revealed, Gaga appeared on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert to offer a preview of the duo’s upcoming television special, One Last Time.

Airing this Sunday on CBS and Paramount+, One Last Time captures performances from Gaga and Bennett’s recent sold-out shows at Radio City Music Hall, which were billed as Bennett’s final public performances in light of his Alzheimer’s diagnosis. As a preview, last night’s Colbert aired a full performance of “Anything Goes.”

Before the performance, Lady Gaga sat down with Colbert to discuss her unlikely friendship with the 95-year-old Bennett. After the pair’s first collection of jazz standards, 2014’s Cheek to Cheek, blew up, she promised the legend she’d record a Cole Porter tribute album with him next. Soon after, she said, he began to show symptoms of Alzheimer’s. Recording for Love for Sale then began right away....
I don't predict such things, but it won't surprise me if the album gets that Grammy, the concert gets an Emmy and 60 Minutes gets another Emmy. Who knows, maybe Colbert will get one, too. Then, there could be future Tonys and Oscars. GaGa and Bennett have created something extraordinarily special.

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - Baby it's Cold Outside
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Comma or no, I think GaGa and her relationship/performance with Bennett is great. I started an appreciation of them two or three years ago when they first did that Christmas "Baby it's cold outside" ad.

Yeah, I enjoy language and have a lifelong understanding of the importance of knowing (even if not always using) the rules of usage, grammar, and words themselves. Drives me nut's to see sign's with apostrophe's stuck in improper place's. I always think - wait, somebody got a job to make a sign, put that apostrophe in there incorrectly and whoever looked at it after, including the customer, never even noticed?
No doubt about it. No coma anywhere about those two. An amazing duo. And I myself enjoy being a cunning linguist. To some I am undercover. 8-)

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:

Well, I've learned to be a bit more tolerant of headlines than I would be of the actual text of an article.

Why? Because the headlines in most publications are not created by the article author. They are instead imposed by the page editor, who may have design impreratives that are felt to override actual content. So a comma left out of a headline? Get a life.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:18 pm
Well, I've learned to be a bit more tolerant of headlines than I would be of the actual text of an article.

Why? Because the headlines in most publications are not created by the article author. They are instead imposed by the page editor, who may have design impreratives that are felt to override actual content. So a comma left out of a headline? Get a life.
I believe that reporters and headline editors generally know how to spell "imperatives".

There never was an article or "headline", dummy.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:40 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:51 pm
The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
11:35 PM ET ON CBS • TV-PG • Stereo • CC

Lady Gaga talks and performs with Tony Bennett
Fwiw, it's a blurb rather than a "headline", but that may not have been clear from my quote of zap2it's TV listings.

Usually, "talks" would indicate with the host, which is what Lady Gaga did for much of the show, and placing a comma after "talks" is still saying that she sang. IMO, "Lady Gaga talks, and performs with Tony Bennett" would have been a more accurate descriptor, though I suspected what we ended up seeing, regardless. I did think that Bennett might appear to sing on the show, but it was a preview of the concert being shown Sun night, instead. I wasn't surprised or disappointed.

For example, Thursday night's Colbert blurb is:
Actor and comic Kevin Hart; Robert Plant and Alison Krauss perform.
The semicolon creates a distinction between talker and exclusively performers, just as a comma would have, and that's standard presentation for zap2it. Anyhow, it's a blurb, not great literature. Precision is not to be expected.
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:21 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:40 pm
I don't see anything hall-monitorish about mocking or criticizing a headline. After all, we've got a whole thread on "Dumb Headlines." Nobody has been anything but complimentary toward GaGa herself.
For Christ's sake, you guys are arguing about a COMMA!

Get real.
Butthurt Useless is showing poor comprehension, as usual, in accusing you of "arguing". It's merely a semi-academic discussion among folks that enjoy language more than he does. You are correct, and quite funny, in citing the importance of commas. Useless' grammar teachers failed in impressing that upon him.

The name-calling, expletive, all caps and exclamation point all indicate that it's Useless that's "arguing" and being a whiny "Hall Monitor " about our heretofore friendly discussion. Funny that. He clearly "wasn't in line when common sense was being handed out." Maybe he's the one that should "Get real." ...
Get a life, and a remedial English comprehension tutor. A 5th grader should be able to raise your level.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:37 pm
(childish :crybaby: )
Cower, Useless, cower.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:37 pm
( :crybaby: )
Ummm, you were the one being a hall monitor about a nonexistent headline writer, along with hallucinating "arguing" that wasn't arguing until you started arguing. Project much?

Cower, Useless, cower.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:37 pm
Useless
Legend

Useless Avatar

Let's Go Biden!

Reply #12 posted Nov 19, 2021 at 5:27pm QuotelikePost OptionsPost by Ulysses on Nov 19, 2021 at 5:27pm
Greg55_99 Avatar
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:18pm Greg55_99 said:
Mixing two threads here.

"But, that aside, let me say that I swear, on the souls of my grandchildren, that I will not be the one to break the peace we have made here today."

Ok, who said it?

Greg

Thread topic violation
https://libertynewsforum.boards.net/thr ... lTo=122383
Ulysses
Legend

Ulysses Avatar

Let's Go Biden!

Reply #14 posted Nov 19, 2021 at 5:31pm QuotelikePost OptionsPost by Ulysses on Nov 19, 2021 at 5:31pm
Greg55_99 Avatar
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:29pm Greg55_99 said:

Oooooo.....

Greg

Who died and made Greg the judge of all that goes on at LNF?
Should we post more SAHHM?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:40 pm
I don't see anything hall-monitorish about mocking or criticizing a headline. After all, we've got a whole thread on "Dumb Headlines." Nobody has been anything but complimentary toward GaGa herself.
Careful, you might trigger the forum troll, when you call something the troll doesn't regard as a headline, a headline.

Personally, I don't give a damn, because, you're one of the more reasonable BRD regulars.

(Did I use enough commas? Too many? Just enough?)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:28 am
( :crybaby: )
You fail comprehension again, toddler. I explained to O Really long ago that it's not a headline, and I should know since I was the one that copied it from a TV listing and pasted it here. You stupidly called it a headline well after I'd posted this explanation. Again, you really, really need the assistance of a 4th grader in order to keep up. Now, whine some more, it's adorable.

Btw, how has attempting to make O Really or anyone else mad at me worked out for you in the past? Try harder.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:35 pm
Vrede too wrote:
One Last Time: An Evening with Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, that's featured at the end of the 60 Minutes report will be shown on CBS Sun 11/28 8pm - 9pm ET.
👍
Tonight.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:41 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:35 pm
Vrede too wrote:
One Last Time: An Evening with Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, that's featured at the end of the 60 Minutes report will be shown on CBS Sun 11/28 8pm - 9pm ET.
👍
Tonight.
Hard to believe he didn't remember this performance the next day. 😥
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:33 pm
That dude stole David Byrne's suit!

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

This is a really good song

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So I don't claim to be very knowledgeable about current popular music. But I do read pop culture articles, and would have thought I'd recognize the name of the musicians who used to be considered "hit makers." But I ran across the list from "Rolling Stone" purporting to be the 50 Best Songs of 2021.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... t-1260934/

I scanned through the list and found that I had only heard of maybe 5 artists. That's "heard of - never, not just not familiar with the song, or maybe as in the case of Megan Thee Stallion recognize the name but couldn't identify any music. No, it's never heard of the artist. But since the list also comes with a vid for each one, I sampled from 1 down to 50 to see what I'm missing. Not much, really. It was heavily oriented toward hip-hop and rap, neither of which I'm much of a fan of, and involved a lot of angst, whining, and using "fuck" a lot.

So my question, if anyone has an interest in answering, is: are these really the best songs of 2021? And were they also the most popular? In what source - Spotify? Pandora?

I like a lot of different types of music, but I've always found that if I'm going to like something I recognize it immediately. Sort of a "that's really good - I wonder what else they've done". Out of the 50, none elicited that response. Some were OK, but most I didn't care for.

What do you all think?

NYT has a different top 20 list, with some overlap, but I haven't heard of most of those, either.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/07/arts ... songs.html

Guardian's list: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... gs-of-2021

Billboard: https://www.billboard.com/lists/best-so ... e-mystery/

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:39 pm
So I don't claim to be very knowledgeable about current popular music. But I do read pop culture articles, and would have thought I'd recognize the name of the musicians who used to be considered "hit makers." But I ran across the list from "Rolling Stone" purporting to be the 50 Best Songs of 2021.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... t-1260934/

I scanned through the list and found that I had only heard of maybe 5 artists. That's "heard of - never, not just not familiar with the song, or maybe as in the case of Megan Thee Stallion recognize the name but couldn't identify any music. No, it's never heard of the artist. But since the list also comes with a vid for each one, I sampled from 1 down to 50 to see what I'm missing. Not much, really. It was heavily oriented toward hip-hop and rap, neither of which I'm much of a fan of, and involved a lot of angst, whining, and using "fuck" a lot.

So my question, if anyone has an interest in answering, is: are these really the best songs of 2021? And were they also the most popular? In what source - Spotify? Pandora?

I like a lot of different types of music, but I've always found that if I'm going to like something I recognize it immediately. Sort of a "that's really good - I wonder what else they've done". Out of the 50, none elicited that response. Some were OK, but most I didn't care for.

What do you all think?

NYT has a different top 20 list, with some overlap, but I haven't heard of most of those, either.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/07/arts ... songs.html

Guardian's list: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... gs-of-2021

Billboard: https://www.billboard.com/lists/best-so ... e-mystery/
I admit I know next to nothing about current "popular" music. Popular with who? Since nobody buys records or probably even CD's anymore, I imagine it would be easy to track what music is downloaded and then base your "most popular" list on just that. Personally, I've not bought any new music in several years. The last stuff I can think of is records by Lyn Stanley (new recordings of the sort of stuff that was popular with people like my parents when they were young) and Vanessa Fernandez (a record of old Led Zeppelin songs done by a soul inspired woman). I've also bought a few new 45rpm records of old classics like Bob Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" and some others (Dylan and Johnny Cash together on "Girl From The North Country" will bring tears to your eyes) but overall, it looks to me like popular music has been taking a turn for the worse for several decades. It's tough getting old and older. But check it; I doubt that fifty or sixty years from now anyone will be nostalgic for the current crop of popular music. And if they are, I'm glad I won't be around to see it.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:39 pm

I scanned through the list and found that I had only heard of maybe 5 artists.
What do you all think?

Looked at the NYT list and knew about five artists also.

Long past the point of caring.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I never even looked at the lists. I knew I would be listless.