The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:58 pm
Fuck Roger Ebert. Isn't he dead? Watch the movie. Don't take my word for it. I was impressed back when it came out and still recommend it. Roger is fucked up.
I heard Mr. Ebert died when he heard id Neo's low opinion of his work.

"I'm the one who's supposed to write insane reviews!" poor Roger exclaimed, just before his lower intestine reached up and strangled him.

And, apparently, Neo tried, and failed, to procure the Ebert colon for to make some sort of disgusting sausage he'd invented.

This accounts for his perpetually grouchy demeanor to this day.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I fish slapped Ebert all the way from Delaware to Missouri in an effort to erase that smug look he always affected. Siskel cheered me on the whole time. By this time Gene had fucking had it with Roger and I was called in to sort of finalize things.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:03 am
I fish slapped Ebert all the way from Delaware to Missouri in an effort to erase that smug look he always affected. Siskel cheered me on the whole time. By this time Gene had fucking had it with Roger and I was called in to sort of finalize things.
I'm guessing you know that "smug look" was a permanent smile sort of expression because he had no lower jaw due to cancer surgery. Or maybe he had the smug look before, never got cancer, and lost his lower jaw due to the fish slapping?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:23 am
neoplacebo wrote:
I'm guessing you know that "smug look" was a permanent smile sort of expression because he had no lower jaw due to cancer surgery. Or maybe he had the smug look before, never got cancer, and lost his lower jaw due to the fish slapping?
Opps! No, I did not know he actually had a disfiguring injury. I apologize to all and fish slap myself.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Places in the Heart is a 1984 American film written and directed by Robert Benton. It stars Sally Field, Lindsay Crouse, Ed Harris, Ray Baker, Amy Madigan, John Malkovich, Danny Glover, Jerry Haynes and Terry O'Quinn. The film's narrative follows Edna Spalding, a young woman during the Great Depression in Texas who is forced to take charge of her farm after the death of her husband and is helped by a motley bunch.

Places in the Heart premiered at the 35th Berlin International Film Festival, where it competed for the Golden Bear, while Benton won the Silver Bear for Best Director. It was theatrically released on September 21, 1984 by Tri-Star Pictures to critical and commercial success. Reviewers praised Benton's screenplay and direction and performances of the cast (particularly of Field, Malkovich and Crouse), while the film grossed $34.9 million against a $9.5 million budget. The film received seven nominations at the 57th Academy Awards including for the Best Picture and won two: Best Actress (for Field), and Best Original Screenplay.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

First Man (film)

:clap: Pretty good IMO, not great. Cool memories of those years.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:27 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:23 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Opps! No, I did not know he actually had a disfiguring injury. I apologize to all and fish slap myself.
Perhaps while you're at it, you could give the Gilded Turd a fish slap too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:55 pm
(post: gibberish)
(signature: obsessed, out of context :crybaby: ignore failure)
Awww. :violin: , Useless.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Has anyone else seen Coen’s Macbeth?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:59 pm
Did you lose him again?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Okay, I'll answer myself. It's great. Worth watch just to see Denzel and Frances play Shakespeare. Everything from the background sound to the sets are awesome.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:01 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Okay, I'll answer myself. It's great. Worth watch just to see Denzel and Frances play Shakespeare. Everything from the background sound to the sets are awesome.
Hadn't heard of it. on Apple?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:09 pm
Hadn't heard of it. On Apple?
Yes.

The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021 film)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:24 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:09 pm
Hadn't heard of it. On Apple?
Yes.

The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021 film)
well, have you seen it?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:36 pm
well, have you seen it?
No. It would have been pretty rude of me to ignore you if I had. I'm not much of a Shakespeare fan. Are the witches cool?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:38 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
well, have you seen it?
No. It would have been pretty rude of me to ignore you if I had. I'm not much of a Shakespeare fan. Are the witches cool?
never been a fan myself, but this may have sold me. As long as Joel directs Denzel and Frances.

the witch's scene is completely unexpected.

watch it. stars acting has to be better than stars dancing.

I recommend turning on the subtitles.

all 3 witches and an old man are played by the same actor

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:54 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
well, have you seen it?
never been a fan myself, but this may have sold me. As long as Joel directs Denzel and Frances.

the witch's scene is completely unexpected.

watch it. stars acting has to be better than stars dancing.

I recommend turning on the subtitles.

all 3 witches and an old man are played by the same actor
If you recommend it, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

True Grit (2010)

Girded by strong performances from Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and newcomer Hailee Steinfeld, and lifted by some of the Coens' most finely tuned, unaffected work, True Grit is a worthy companion to the Charles Portis book.
As good as the original, IMO. To the extent that comparisons are possible across 41 years, Rotten Tomatoes agrees.

True Grit (2010)
95% Critics, 85% Audience Score

True Grit (1969)
89% Critics, 84% Audience Score
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:11 pm
True Grit (2010)

Girded by strong performances from Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and newcomer Hailee Steinfeld, and lifted by some of the Coens' most finely tuned, unaffected work, True Grit is a worthy companion to the Charles Portis book.
As good as the original, IMO. To the extent that comparisons are possible across 41 years, Rotten Tomatoes agrees.

True Grit (2010)
95% Critics, 85% Audience Score

True Grit (1969)
89% Critics, 84% Audience Score
2010 version is better

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:57 pm
2010 version is better
I don't disagree, but it's been so long since I watched the original I wanted to be cautious.

Queen & Slim is a 2019 American romantic road crime drama film directed by Melina Matsoukas (in her feature directorial debut) and with a screenplay by Lena Waithe from a story by James Frey and Waithe. The film's story centers on a young Black couple (Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith) who go on the run after killing a police officer in the heat of an argument as self defense during a traffic stop....

... It received positive reviews from critics, with praise for Kaluuya and Turner-Smith's lead performances, Matsoukas' direction and its overall theme and message. It grossed $47 million on a $20 million budget.
:shock: :clap:
1312. ETTD.