Windows 11

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Windows 11

Unread post by Ulysses »

Microsoft released Windows 11 on 10-5-21. If you're a PC based user, this may be of some interest. If you're strictly a non-PC based user, not so much.

I did see a mention of the new Windows OS a week or two ago. It mentioned what appears to be a serious (to me) drawback. And that revolves around Microsoft's rather clumsy attempt to force users to use the Microsoft browser called Edge. Fine, you might think, I'll just select a different browser like Chrome or Firefox. Not so fast, brother or sister. Microsoft makes this far more tedious than it needs to be. It revolves around file types. Within Windows 10, you can with one operation set all file types to took to whatever browser you prefer. With Windows 11, one must set each file type to a browser other than Edge. The following link details the process for doing that, and since each file type must be set, describes it as "tedious". There is a hidden benefit to this, in that now one can select a different browser for some file types and another browser for other files types. But I doubt most users will want or need to do that anyway, so it's just another Microsoft barf bag.

Here's the link for setting up a non-Edge browser on Windows 11:

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-chan ... ter-recirc

I found another article on Windows 11 from a gamer POV. It cautions users not to upgrade to Windows 11 until it goes through the usual teething problems, maybe some bug fixes. Who knows, maybe a future update for Windows 11 will fix the clunky browser/file type process. An easy fix for that would be an option such as "Set all file types to Browser X?". Anyway, I'll wait a while longer before "upgrading" my Windows 10 system to Windows 11. Unless I purchase a new PC that comes with 11 installed already.

Gamer POV:

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-review/

Have fun!

O Really
Admiral

Re: Windows 11

Unread post by O Really »

I think I'll wait a bit. I haven't seen anything in the articles about Win 11 that would seem to improve my life any. I could live with a one-time time-consuming effort to purge Edge, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be the last of it anyway. Like in 10, where every so often the banner pops up inviting you to select Edge and if you aren't paying attention it's easy to hit the OK instead of the Cancel. And I've tried Edge. Nothing particular to complain about except that it force-feeds you Bing, which I don't like.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:11 am
I think I'll wait a bit. I haven't seen anything in the articles about Win 11 that would seem to improve my life any. I could live with a one-time time-consuming effort to purge Edge, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be the last of it anyway. Like in 10, where every so often the banner pops up inviting you to select Edge and if you aren't paying attention it's easy to hit the OK instead of the Cancel. And I've tried Edge. Nothing particular to complain about except that it force-feeds you Bing, which I don't like.
We appear to be on the same page there.

The impetus to upgrade may come when some horrid computer bug/virus emerges that Windows 10 cannot defend against but, oddly enough, Windows 11 can defeat. Might even come from some fly-by-night outfit in Redmond.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

I miss Windows 7.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:29 pm
I miss Windows 7.
Windows 7 is still available, despite being EOL.

https://pcsalesonline.com/en/operating- ... VCEALw_wcB

rjay181

Unread post by rjay181 »

Thanks for the link and the heads up...i am a little late to the game.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

GoCubsGo wrote:
I miss Windows 7.
Yes, if they had just updated windows 7 and added the faster booting of windows 8..... perfection. The UI was consistent... it was a workhorse.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:20 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
I miss Windows 7.
Yes, if they had just updated windows 7 and added the faster booting of windows 8..... perfection. The UI was consistent... it was a workhorse.
Just that.

I lived on xp for years for work. 7 was intuitive for me as well as a better performer. Transitioning to 10 was anything but intuitive and for me, really reaped no benefit for my use type. Still don't like it.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I suppose Windows 10 was Microsoft's attempt to keep up with the internet etc. Didn't work. I went to 10 because I needed a new computer and all the new ones came with 10. As mentioned earlier, 11 comes with some serious drawbacks so I'll wait a while before installing it, if ever. The problem being that some new software (like Cad/Cam) only worked with 10, and since that was what I was doing at the time, I didn't have much choice at work and at home. Sigh.

O Really
Admiral

So my new laptop has Win11. And yes, they really really want you to use Edge. And I really really refused to. I had to open Edge to download Chrome and when I entered "Chrome download" in the search block, I got a message "You don't have to get another browser . Edge is wonderful" or something to that effect. And then I had to change the default individually for about 15 different kinds of files, but it wasn't as onerous as the original article in this thread seemed to imply. With Win11, some things might be better, some may not be quite so good, but overall I don't notice significant difference from 10, except it's harder to customize the theme and workspace.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

You mean they're lying to us? :laughing-rolling:

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I haven't seen a Windows 11 system yet. It does sound like the Microsoft Marketing Team rearing its ugly head again. Good to hear there's a workaround, but really.

O Really
Admiral

After about a day of tweaking, it's not noticeably different on anything significant. Getting rid of the Edge default is annoying, but not that awful. I don't have a problem with Edge, actually, except that it keeps stuffing Bing in your face. And I don't like Bing.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:09 pm
Summary of differences here:
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/win ... indows-10/
Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it for later.

I have got a number of messages here and there that my five year old Dell tower system is not ready for Windows 11. But they don't say why. I'm ok with 10, though, for now.