UPS

rstrong
Captain

UPS

Unread post by rstrong »

Two of the Uninterruptable Power Supplies powering our servers notified me that the power coming into the building was wavering around 126 volts instead of the normal 120. (I'm used to Ontario where 110 is normal.)

The last time this happened we had a bad ground wire for the entire building. This time it turned out to be a copper theft down the street.

Even though one of the UPSs is useless as a UPS (Get a UPS that outputs a true sine wave, NOT a "stepped approximation" as most cheap ones do), it's still wonderful for monitoring our power.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: UPS

Unread post by Ulysses »

rstrong wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:56 pm
Two of the Uninterruptable Power Supplies powering our servers notified me that the power coming into the building was wavering around 126 volts instead of the normal 120. (I'm used to Ontario where 110 is normal.)

The last time this happened we had a bad ground wire for the entire building. This time it turned out to be a copper theft down the street.

Even though one of the UPSs is useless as a UPS (Get a UPS that outputs a true sine wave, NOT a "stepped approximation" as most cheap ones do), it's still wonderful for monitoring our power.
Well, I used to work with servers full time back in the day. In one company we had all Compaq rack mount servers, and the UPS unit(s) for them could also fit into a rack. Except for the main IT department computer center, which had its own hefty power supply system sitting on a big concrete pad outside the building.

Here at home I have a much smaller Cyberpower unit which seems to work fine. The power here, however, is generally very stable. It rarely goes out. The place I lived about 25 years ago, not so much. And I ran a computer/network/consulting business from there, to boot.

As I recall most end user scale computer systems are relatively tolerant of strange waves. I suspect the quality of the output of such UPS modules has improved significantly over the past few decades.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Interesting, but you do know rstrong ummm, left the building back in May 2018, right? He's not gonna respond.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:06 pm
Interesting, but you do know rstrong ummm, left the building back in May 2018, right? He's not gonna respond.
Since there was nine years between posts, maybe he'll just wait it out for a while.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

No problem.

I can wait.