COVIDiots

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: COVIDiots

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:35 pm

Plus I test myself at home and have never registered positive for Covid. Probably five home tests in addition to four or five tests at med centers since the pandemic started.
🙄Yeah, I've tested myself once since the start of the pandemic and I am out every day.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:03 pm
Well, hell, with type O blood, 6% Nordic DNA and ancestry living in York when the Vikings raided, plus double-boostered, I'm bulletproof. But I'm still not going to hang in indoor crowds or share needles.
Well, sharing needles has never been a good idea. For decades.

Also, it's not just type O blood, it's type O blood with Rh-; commonly known (I gather) as O-. But that confers only a 20% chance of covid resistance.

I read a paper some time ago that maintains that the natural progression of a virus causing a pandemic is gradually to reduce its virulence in favor of keeping people alive as carriers. I mean, what's the point if you kill off your host organisms? At least that's the theory, and the emergence of less severe variants seems to be according to that paradigm. I don't doubt it can still be bad, especially for those who are more susceptible.

I don't think it's a good idea to assume one is "bulletproof", but your chances of dying from covid are probably close to nil.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:39 pm
I have seen reported several times:

This is a Dolt .45 appointed judge;
The CDC recommendation remains the same;
The CDC is appealing The DoJ is appealing on behalf of the CDC, as much to protect its ability to fight future pandemics as to preserve its authority with this one.

I have not seen guesses as to whether the CDC will prevail, but I hope you're correct.

Fwiw, the airlines are claiming that their air circulation and filtration makes infection unlikely, -0-? . Of course, cruise ships, trains, buses, taxis and ride shares are not as high tech.
Justice Department appeals ruling lifting transit mask mandate after CDC request
“At this time an order requiring masking in the indoor transportation corridor remains necessary for the public health,” the CDC said Wednesday.

They are not asking for a stay. So, the COVIDiot judge's ruling stands until the appeal is decided.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:38 am
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:33 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:39 pm
I have seen reported several times:

This is a Dolt .45 appointed judge;
The CDC recommendation remains the same;
The CDC is appealing The DoJ is appealing on behalf of the CDC, as much to protect its ability to fight future pandemics as to preserve its authority with this one.

I have not seen guesses as to whether the CDC will prevail, but I hope you're correct.

Fwiw, the airlines are claiming that their air circulation and filtration makes infection unlikely, -0-? . Of course, cruise ships, trains, buses, taxis and ride shares are not as high tech.
Justice Department appeals ruling lifting transit mask mandate after CDC request
“At this time an order requiring masking in the indoor transportation corridor remains necessary for the public health,” the CDC said Wednesday.

They are not asking for a stay. So, the COVIDiot judge's ruling stands until the appeal is decided.
Over a CDC rule set to expire on 5/3?
I could understand a stay, but a long drawn out suit with no chance of a ruling before 5/3 makes as little sense as the DOJ refusing to even investigate trump.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:48 am
I could understand a stay, but a long drawn out suit with no chance of a ruling before 5/3 makes as little sense as the DOJ refusing to even investigate trump.
There's nothing to say that the mask mandate actually would have expired on 5/3. It's been extended several times depending on pandemic status. Plus:
Vrede too wrote:
... The DoJ is appealing on behalf of the CDC, as much to protect its ability to fight future pandemics as to preserve its authority with this one....
Seems like a valid reason to me. You disagree?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:53 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:48 am
There's nothing to say that the mask mandate actually would have expired on 5/3. It's been extended several times depending on pandemic status. Plus:
Vrede too wrote:
... The DoJ is appealing on behalf of the CDC, as much to protect its ability to fight future pandemics as to preserve its authority with this one....
Seems like a valid reason to me. You disagree?
I do agree, but still see little more than another milktoast Merrick diversion in almost everything Biden's choice for AG does, be it the quick and decisive prosecution of the dem lieutenant governor of New York for a far lesser offense than the similar but more obvious than the trump crimes, or this refusal to ask for a stay in the mask mandate. This lone 33 year old unqualified trumpist judge's confusion over public safety vs public transportation is more than obvious. Why not ask for a stay? You disagree?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I think they should have asked for a stay, but yeah - appeal for the future even if not for now.
That's a good name: "Milquetoast Merrick"

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

The "judge" in the case was rated "not qualified" by the ABA before she was appointed. She's also never tried a case before becoming a federal judge. And unless she dies she's likely to be a federal judge for the next fifty years or so. She's 33 I think. Or maybe 35. I judge her to be ten miles on the far side of no good.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:17 am
The "judge" in the case was rated "not qualified" by the ABA before she was appointed. She's also never tried a case before becoming a federal judge. And unless she dies she's likely to be a federal judge for the next fifty years or so. She's 33 I think. Or maybe 35. I judge her to be ten miles on the far side of no good.
She didn't have long enough experience to qualify to become a partner in her own white shoe law firm (Jones Day). She had clerked for some hard core right wing judges, though, who tended to hire hard core right wing clerks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:32 am
I do agree, but still see little more than another milktoast Merrick diversion in almost everything Biden's choice for AG does, be it the quick and decisive prosecution of the dem lieutenant governor of New York for a far lesser offense than the similar but more obvious than the trump crimes, or this refusal to ask for a stay in the mask mandate. This lone 33 year old unqualified trumpist judge's confusion over public safety vs public transportation is more than obvious. Why not ask for a stay? You disagree?
I'm disappointed by the lack of a stay attempt, but I have not seen why that choice has been made or whether it is Merrick's or the CDC's call. Have you? It's POSSIBLE that the CDC knew that the 5/3 end to the mandate would stand and thus thinks that making the "emergency" stay case over less than 2 weeks would be too difficult to make. -0-?

Also, the 11th Circuit has been heavily stacked by Dolt .45 - 6 "judges" + 1 from Shrub out of 11. Both stay and case may be moot.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I haven't read the entire ruling, but as I understand it, she's saying the authority of federal agencies was exceeded. I don't see how Biden's bunch can let that stand. And if the issue is authority, the fundamental question would not become moot just because the specific ruling expired.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:36 am
I haven't read the entire ruling, but as I understand it, she's saying the authority of federal agencies was exceeded. I don't see how Biden's bunch can let that stand. And if the issue is authority, the fundamental question would not become moot just because the specific ruling expired.
I think we all agree on the fundamental question.
I accept that there MAY be good reason for not pursuing a stay.
I meant "moot" because the Trumpish 11th Circuit sucks, not as a matter of good law or social policy.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:12 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:36 am
I think we all agree on the fundamental question.
I accept that there MAY be good reason for not pursuing a stay.
I meant "moot" because the Trumpish 11th Circuit sucks, not as a matter of good law or social policy.
Haven't followed very closely.
From what I've read her ruling zeroed in on the word sanitize as applied by the CDC (or maybe in the legislation that gives the CDC authority) and as masks don't clean anything the CDC has overstepped.

Sounds pretty nuts but it is Florida.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The People's Convoy egged in Oakland, CA as they protest by Buffy Wicks neighborhood

... Protesters in the convoy were heard later complaining on their CB radios about having to wash their trucks, the Sacramento Bee reported.

According to the California Highway Patrol, the convoy — which involved about 20 semis, pickup trucks and vans — initially rolled into the Bay Area last week to plant American flags on the lawn of the San Francisco residence of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). But they couldn’t decide which house was hers, according to Daily Beast journalist Zachary Petrizzo.

Then the convoy took off Friday for Oakland to protest outside the home of California Assembly member Buffy Wicks (D-Oakland) over an abortion-protection bill and a second bill that would have mandated COVID vaccines for private business employees (which she had already put on hold last month), The San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Ya done fucked up. Wrong town.
- Convoy is disjointed and unorganized now, they've lost contact with one another and are attempting to rejoin as a group. panicked, distraught, and lost. They're slowly re-collectivizing.

Also, someone needs a wash.

:laughing-rolling: :clap: :---P

Plus, the A's have a strong local cadre of replacement pitchers should they need it.

Hah, great minds . . .
Those kids had the accuracy of MLB pitchers. Loved it!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

A very appropriate reception, I'd say. And the convoy members can excuse their stupidity by saying the crowd egged them on.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

"People's Convoy" Stalled in SF Bay Area

Unread post by Ulysses »

Pelted with eggs by kids, no less!

Inept 'People's Convoy' chased out of Bay Area by egg-throwing kids
The dreams of the “People’s Convoy” quickly died in the Bay Area after a critical tactical error: turning onto a street with a Safeway and a group of bored kids.

The trucker convoy, which aimed to emulate the disruptive Canadian protests against COVID-19 restrictions, has failed spectacularly at every turn. During a few weeks of driving around Washington, D.C., the convoy was held up by a single bicyclist, and some convoy members said they were having difficulty finding places for bathroom breaks and, as a result, were forced to urinate in their pants.

After an anemic showing in Washington, the convoy made the long drive back across the country, landing in the Bay Area this week. Since the convoy began, practically all major COVID restrictions have been lifted in the United States, so it appears it’s switched its messaging to support other conservative causes.

On Friday afternoon, the small convoy of semitrucks, pickup trucks, minivans and other cars drove to Democratic Assemblymember Buffy Wicks’ East Bay home to protest her support of an abortion rights bill. As they honked and used bullhorns in the quiet residential neighborhood, neighbors gathered to heckle them right back, yelling at the truckers to get off their street.

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

O Really
Admiral

Re: "People's Convoy" Stalled in SF Bay Area

Nice, but already covered in "Covidiots"

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Are there any legal repurcussions for egging people's cars?
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:51 am
Are there any legal repurcussions for egging people's cars?
Why, are you considering it? :lol: